Fingerbone

Posted by Chris Burnett on Wed, 03/24/04 - 12:25:57.

Does any one know much about fingerbone guitars? English company, hand made guitar, solid body, quite a chunck of wood! I don't know much about it or it's value, any knowledge would be appreciated!
Cheers

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Fingerbone Explorer

I've recently got hold of a fingerbone explorer shape. It's model number is 88315 and it's a plain mahogany wood finish, simple ebony fret board with a nice subtle detail on 12th.
It had EMG pickups - the bridge EMG has practically worn off ! Gold (once) hardware and tuners are schaller Germany.
The case shows only a KLM tag with a NYC address & number but most is gone. Low e tuner area of headstock has been repaired.
This guitar has soul - there is music in it. It's clearly had a real life on the road and seen the world. If anyone out there knows something about it I'd love to know.

Remembering Fingerbone

I found this thread whilst googling Fingerbone last night and thought I'd leave a comment. I used to work for Paul Richardson at the old Manson workshop in Jarvis Brook, Crowborough during the mid-eighties. It was a period that I remember with great fondness and I was saddened to learn of Paul's death - my thoughts go to his family and friends.

Unfortunately my time at fingerbone didn't end well (I was 18, naive and stupid), and we had a row over an amazing bass he'd been building me. We never met again and it's been a source of continual regret over the last twenty-something years that things ended as they did. Paul was a thoroughly decent man with a gift for making the most exceptional instruments.

I used to have two Fingerbone's, a fastback guitar and fleetwood bass. The 6 string was put together by Paul's number 2 (whose name escapes me - perhaps someone can help?), with a yew body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. It had two of those incredible Kent Armstrong pick-up' s and the body was finished in a bottle green lacquer. In those days, a lot of the spraying was done on site using cellulose based lacquers. Part of my job would be building up the many, many layers of varnish along with hours of rubbing down between coats. I loved every minute of it!

The Fleetwood bass however, was something out of this world! I remember a trip with Paul to the wood supplier (who was based in a former chapel just around the corner from the old Merrydown cider place in Sussex), during which he bought the craziest selection of wood, most of which went into the bass. So, it had a two-octave through neck made of maple and paduak. The body was two wings of yew faced with Macassar ebony. As if that wasn't enough, it was finished off with a rosewood fingerboard and burr elm facing to the headstock. It weighed a tonne! As was the norm with Paul's guitars, it had a pair of KA pickups and was kitted out with black schaller hardware. I went a bit mad and fitted it with an entirely irrelevant collection of phase and coil tap switches but held back from loading active tone controls!

I sold both instruments when I hit tough times financially. I wince when thinking about this - but hope that one day I'll come across one, or both of them again. For now, I hope they're being played and treasured by their current owners.

For all of you reading this who are lucky enough to have a fingerbone, cherish it! A piece of Paul lives on in each of them - it's such a shame that he didn't receive the recognition his work truly deserves.

Ps - reading everyone's comments, I think I recognise a few of your guitars... There was the slightly wacky 5 string tele that went to the chap in the states. A stunning piece of work that looked (and sounded), like nothing else! There were a couple of explorer's we built during my time there - one went to a guy called Mitch (?), who also had an old SG called Betsy. His bass player had a couple of Fleetwood's as well.... It'd be interesting to know if they still have them and how they're doing after all these years.

Pps - oh, and if anyone comes across either of my old guitars please let me know. It would be very, very special if I was ever able to be reunited with them.

5-string Fingerbone guitar

I'm the chap in the States who had Paul build me a beautiful 5-string guitar A la Keith Richards in 1985. I have made some changes to it over the years - replaced the Schaller ceramic pickups with The 78 models by Seymour Duncan, and removing the active electronics. I also replaced the top with a nice bit of blue quilted maple after the ebony skull veneer started to lift. A fabulous guitar though. I met Paul completely by accident as I walked into a music shop in Brighton and asked if he knew any luthiers and the guy sitting next to him just happened to be Paul. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. I was looking him up to see about some custom fret work :-)

Explorer and Betsy

Hi Dominic - I still have them both and they are doing fine…. I am re-wiring the explorer as we speak! Very sad to hear about Paul, a really lovely man…. many of my friends are slightly confused as to why I have an explorer named Paul. Take care and best regards Mitch

Sad news

I have just learned of the passing of Paul, I met him a couple of times. The bass he sold me is the finest instrument I have played! It was, I think, a "one off"; before the Fastback basses. It has 4 strings and is fretless with an ebony board, the neck was birds-eye maple. The resonance from the flame topped maple and the mahogany body is musical.
I always wanted him to make me a companion 5 string, but sadly I had some lean times!
Truly a brilliant designer and Luthier.

fingerbone

I have a fingerbone guitar that is now in poor condition, needs some tlc, repair or replaced kahler trem and needs a new machine head (schaeller minis). It is an ideal hobby horse if anyone is interested... Let me know
Chris

Fingerbone

where is fingerbone made?i've heard it was made in england...but i've found another that made in german...

Re: Fingerbone for sale

: Does any one know much about fingerbone guitars? English company, hand made guitar, solid body, quite a chunck of wood! I don't know much about it or it's value, any knowledge would be appreciated!
: Cheers
O.K, i'd like to buy a 6 string electric Fingerbone guitar please. so if you have one you'd like to sell please email me richards588@btinternet.com many thanks. g.r. remember P.R's son is first in line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fingerbone

still interested in a fingerbone guitar? See top post.

Re: Fingerbone P.R.made?

: Does any one know much about fingerbone guitars? English company, hand made guitar, solid body, quite a chunck of wood! I don't know much about it or it's value, any knowledge would be appreciated!
: Cheers
I'm trying to find out the numbers the late Paul Richardson put on his guitars[ headstock i think?} and looking at the numbers you guys are putting out i can only deduce that his started with the number 88. if you have any other info please let me know. thank you. g.r

Death of Paul Richardson 'Fingerbone'

This is a message to those clients for whom Paul made custom guitars, under the Fingerbone brand. I am sorry to say that Paul died in a tragic accident on 17th June. Please email paul@francecamp.com

Re: Death of Paul Richardson 'Fingerbone'

: This is a message to those clients for whom Paul made custom guitars, under the Fingerbone brand. I am sorry to say that Paul died in a tragic accident on 17th June. Please email christine@francecamp.com

: This is a message to those clients for whom Paul made custom guitars, under the Fingerbone brand. I am sorry to say that Paul died in a tragic accident on 17th June. Please email paul@francecamp.com

sorry to hear this sad news, he made beautiful instruments, my thoughts go out to you and the familly. Dave whitelock

: : This is a message to those clients for whom Paul made custom guitars, under the Fingerbone brand. I am sorry to say that Paul died in a tragic accident on 17th June. Please email paul@francecamp.com

:
: sorry to hear this sad news, he made beautiful instruments, my thoughts go out to you and the familly. Dave whitelock

Sadly, Paul never retained a Guitar. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone knows of, or has, either a Fastback or a Fury that they would consider selling. The idea is to secure a Guitar for Paul's Son.

Anyone who can help, please e.mail me on rstobbs@sonoma.co.uk

Thank You

Re: Fingerbone

The Fingerbone name is still owned by the guitar centre in Sevenoaks, Kent. The shop manager Julian is a luthier by trade and they still have all the original templates so if you want a new one made give them a ring, or if you just want some info on your own guitar I'm sure they would be happy to help. Phone 01732 742700

I have a Fingerbone Tele that I bought in bits a few years ago. It has turned into one of those 'unfinished projects' It has a curly maple neck with (I assume) ebony fingerboard. The body is a sort of orange sunburst with a couple of dings in it. It was designed for a humbucker (original still there) and two 'rails' type single coils (which I have bought) One of the tuners is missing and it could do with some work, but obviously a very high quality guitar. I could be persuaded to part with it - email me on adamg709@hotmail.com for some pics.

Hello, really pleased to see some information on fingerbone. I hate to admit it, but bought a fingerbone via e-bay last week (the e-bay bit not the guitar!) It came from a shop (twang guitars) in London. It does not have a serial number. The guitar is in pretty good order, 6 string, fantastic top, green/blue in colour with Grover tuners, Kahler hardware, humbucker and a single coil pick up. I think its great, feels and plays very well. Would love to know a bit more about it, age etc, is it likely to be a Paul Richardson manufactured guitar, or later when Mark took over the name. Any info gratefully received, happy to send a picture if that would help.

Jonathan

Hi
I bought this from Sevenoaks Guitar Centre about 1992, at that time they had a lot of guitar parts and I put about 10 or 12 together (see previous entry) I sold it to a friend of mine around about 1994/5 period he had it a while and moved it on to a work mate.

It should be loaded with a Kent Armstrong single coil at the neck and a chrome covered Rocker at the bridge coil tapable these were made at Kent's place in Shadoxhurst.

The stock that your guitar came from was a bulk load of bodies done in various colours and design, yours has standard shaped pickups but they were often trapezeoid in shape.

You have a flipover locking topnut which came with the Khaler trem but last time I saw it a couple of the locks were broken.

If you look at the spacing on the 12th and 13th fret you'll see that the spacing is reversed, the frets were hand cut and often weren't completely accurate, haveing said that it played perfectly and the ebony board used to feel great and would set up with a really low action.

Sound wise, it sounded great clean and probably suits blues country britpop styles more than metal.

I saw it in Twang guitars and played it a while - still felt like my guitar, but the finish compared when I'd had it had taken a bit of a bashing, not terrible but certainly not straight out of the box as new which it was when it left me.

It's a nice guitar which could do with a little TLC, I went back to Twang to buy it back but it had already gone on Ebay, I'd been watching it biut missed the sale, I would have put a new neck on it to the old shape and had it refinished at Sims back to new.

Enjoy it

Geoff Mason

I have two, made for me in 1987 and 1988. The guy who made them was called Paul Richardson, if memory serves me correctly! He was originally based near Tunbridge Wells and then moved to Brighton. He made me an Explorer with very fancy inlays and the best Stratocaster I've ever played. Great guitars, but he struggled against Paul Reed Smith who turned them out all the time. In my opinion Fingerbone are much better and were made to suit an individual's requirements and it was a shame when he stopped making them through lack of funds and sold the name to someone else who did not make them with the same attention to detail.

Largely through this site and from this thread, I've been contacted by quite a few of my old friends from the Fingerbone days: would it be worth me putting a website together for the old guitars, do you think? I could put pictures of instruments (and the old workshop etc) up there, with some details and perhaps some serial number information? If anyone's interested (owners of instruments who are prepared to supply pictures, especially) then drop me a line at paul@fingerboneguitars.co.uk.

Cheers,

Paul Richardson

: Largely through this site and from this thread, I've been contacted by quite a few of my old friends from the Fingerbone days: would it be worth me putting a website together for the old guitars, do you think? I could put pictures of instruments (and the old workshop etc) up there, with some details and perhaps some serial number information? If anyone's interested (owners of instruments who are prepared to supply pictures, especially) then drop me a line at paul@fingerboneguitars.co.uk.

: Cheers,

: Paul Richardson

Hi Paul,

I'll take a couple of photographs my LP Junior and i'll try to get in touch with Mitch to see if he can take a few shots of his Explorer

Jem.

After Paul left the old Manson Guitars workshop in Crowborough, he moved his workshop to Brighton and shared premises with the excellent acoustic guitar maker Mathew Carter. I believe that Mathew is is still producing instruments and may still be in contact with Paul. The last time I spoke to Paul, he was building loft conversions, as it paid better than building guitars! What a waste!!!!!

: I have a fingerbone 4 sting bass, serial No 86222, bolt on Maple neck, ebony fingerboard, flamed maple top over Mahogany body, ebony pickup covers. A truly beutifull instrument, still my all time favourite, sure would love a six string to go with it! Any kind person out there willing to part with one?

Hello Dave,

I might be pursuaded. I've owned a Fingerbone 6 string solid-body for some 10 years, and I'm thinking of selling it to make way for a quality acoustic.

I have to confess, however, that until I found this site (in preparation for advertsing the guitar on e-bay) I knew very little about Fingerbones. So please excuse my comparative ignorance !

Mine is a Les Paul shape, with a beautiful cherry sunburst finish. It has a glued on neck and what looks like a rosewood fingerboard with a nice low action.

It has two humbuckers, gold plated volume and tone controls and all other hardware is gold plated too(including removable pickup covers). Machine heads are schallers with pearloid buttons. It is a joy to play.

In fairness, it is not in mint condition. There are a few dings in the lacquer finish, but the wood (the important bit !) is undamaged. Frets are in good shape and the intonation perfect.

I paid £350 for it 10 years ago, second hand from a music shop in Maidstone. The shop didn't have a clue about it either ! I was attracted by it's alluring appearance and it's playability. Since then it has seen only sporadic action...I still love my Telecaster the best !

I would consider parting with it for the right price, and am happy to provide more detail if you wish.

I will withold my e-bay advert for the time being.

Graham

Hello chaps - it's me. The Fingerbone episode of my life ended quite painfully (and was followed by a difficult couple of years), so consequently I failed to stay in touch with anyone from those days. I regret this, as many were good friends - I remember you especially, Andy, and think that you may have bought the last Fingerbone I ever sold (you must have had quite a collection by then!). I haven't made a guitar since then. I found this discussion as a result of my first-ever Google search for Fingerbone - my son Ted, who was born the week I opened for business in Crowborough, is now a 20yr old commercial music student (better guitarist than his dad, thankfully) and wants to see if we can find one of my old guitars. I never owned one...
So if anyone has one they would part with, I'd be glad to hear from them. After I stopped (in 1989ish, I think) the Fingerbone name was taken over by a guy called Mark Hammock - I don't think there should be much confusion over which instruments were which, though. If anyone wants to know more they are welcome to get in touch. I still have a lot of photographs that might be useful for identification, and many of the old invoices with the guitars' serial numbers: so I might be able to tell you an instrument's manufacturing and first sale history from the serial number.
Best wishes to everyone from those days,
Paul

Hi Paul - I have a chance to buy a bass, serial number 88216 and was wondering if it was of your era or a latter one?
regards
H

: Hello chaps - it's me. The Fingerbone episode of my life ended quite painfully (and was followed by a difficult couple of years), so consequently I failed to stay in touch with anyone from those days. I regret this, as many were good friends - I remember you especially, Andy, and think that you may have bought the last Fingerbone I ever sold (you must have had quite a collection by then!). I haven't made a guitar since then. I found this discussion as a result of my first-ever Google search for Fingerbone - my son Ted, who was born the week I opened for business in Crowborough, is now a 20yr old commercial music student (better guitarist than his dad, thankfully) and wants to see if we can find one of my old guitars. I never owned one...
: So if anyone has one they would part with, I'd be glad to hear from them. After I stopped (in 1989ish, I think) the Fingerbone name was taken over by a guy called Mark Hammock - I don't think there should be much confusion over which instruments were which, though. If anyone wants to know more they are welcome to get in touch. I still have a lot of photographs that might be useful for identification, and many of the old invoices with the guitars' serial numbers: so I might be able to tell you an instrument's manufacturing and first sale history from the serial number.
: Best wishes to everyone from those days,
: Paul

i have one of your fingerbone guitars (bass) bought in brighton 9 years ago from the guitar amp and keyboard shop they were selling it for a customer paid £500.00 including flight case really pleased with the purchase serial number 88106 white body birds eye maple neck chrome hardware active/pasive description when bought was all singing all dancing do you have any info on this at all thanks very much tony

Re: Fingerbone guitar on ebay

: : Hello chaps - it's me. The Fingerbone episode of my life ended quite painfully (and was followed by a difficult couple of years), so consequently I failed to stay in touch with anyone from those days. I regret this, as many were good friends - I remember you especially, Andy, and think that you may have bought the last Fingerbone I ever sold (you must have had quite a collection by then!). I haven't made a guitar since then. I found this discussion as a result of my first-ever Google search for Fingerbone - my son Ted, who was born the week I opened for business in Crowborough, is now a 20yr old commercial music student (better guitarist than his dad, thankfully) and wants to see if we can find one of my old guitars. I never owned one...
: : So if anyone has one they would part with, I'd be glad to hear from them. After I stopped (in 1989ish, I think) the Fingerbone name was taken over by a guy called Mark Hammock - I don't think there should be much confusion over which instruments were which, though. If anyone wants to know more they are welcome to get in touch. I still have a lot of photographs that might be useful for identification, and many of the old invoices with the guitars' serial numbers: so I might be able to tell you an instrument's manufacturing and first sale history from the serial number.
: : Best wishes to everyone from those days,
: : Paul

: i have one of your fingerbone guitars (bass) bought in brighton 9 years ago from the guitar amp and keyboard shop they were selling it for a customer paid £500.00 including flight case really pleased with the purchase serial number 88106 white body birds eye maple neck chrome hardware active/pasive description when bought was all singing all dancing do you have any info on this at all thanks very much tony. hi, just seen a fingerbone eletric finish on ebay,it did not go for £500 the starting price. i did not know if it was one of the originals; so i did not bid but now i know who to contact if it should come up again and the chances are it will! good luck fishboners. g.r

Re: Fingerbone bass, stolen

Hi, Paul!

A friend of mine sold me a Fingerbone bass a few years ago, which everyone who touched fell in love with. It played, as they say, like butter!

All was well until a couple of weeks ago when someone broke into my house and stole it, along with a number of other things. Can't fault their taste, but...

Wondering what they're going for these days on the open market (for the insurance). The bass I had was said to be "a prototype built for Mark King". It's built of brown and white grained wood, with 4 knobs and 4 switches, and I can provide pictures, though nothing close-up.

I'd really appreciate any info about that you (or anyone) have about it. It's an amazing instrument-- hopefully it'll turn up at a pawnshop somewhere so I can get it back.

John

Re: Fingerbone bass, stolen

Hi, Paul!

A friend of mine sold me a Fingerbone bass a few years ago, which everyone who touched fell in love with. It played, as they say, like butter!

All was well until a couple of weeks ago when someone broke into my house and stole it, along with a number of other things. Can't fault their taste, but...

Wondering what they're going for these days on the open market (for the insurance). The bass I had was said to be "a prototype built for Mark King". It's built of brown and white grained wood, with 4 knobs and 4 switches, and I can provide pictures, though nothing close-up.

I'd really appreciate any info about that you (or anyone) have about it. It's an amazing instrument-- hopefully it'll turn up at a pawnshop somewhere so I can get it back.

John

I discovered this whilst surfing, I to have a fingerbone fretless bass, it is my favourite guitar. The quality of it is stunning. If you read this Paul, thank you! I remember when you brought it up to my friend's house in Slinfold, I fell in love with it straight away. I believe it was the model before the Fastback series. Beautiful wood!
I will never sell it!

Hi Paul.
I have just found this while trying to find out a bit more about my bass, it's a 1985 Fingerbone Fastback 4 string fretless so one of yours. Firstly I have to say "well done you!" It's the finest bass I have ever played, I use it for every gig and every recording, just love it mate. If you ever start making them again I know a lot of pro players who would buy from you, I would buy another one for a start. If you want to see some pictures of the bass and hear it go to www.corkyscats.com or www.myspace.com/betsanandcorkyscats or if you want to come and play it just get in touch. When we play festivals or gigs where other bass players are around they all come up to me and ask about the bass, I have refused an offer of £3500 for it, just would not sell it for any price. You should make them again.
All the best.
Phil.

An appeal to all fingerbone owners, how about a dedicated site where we can see some photo's of these fine instruments?
Regards,
Dave.

fingerbone guitar

i have a fury,and strat also a explorer that paul built in about 1982 when he was in brighton mathew carter made an accoustic for me as well

hi paul.

ive just bought a fingerbone and i confess had never heard of the make before so i was glad to come across this thread. the one i have is the one posted in the link below though it wasnt me that bought it off e bay.

i'd love to know if this model has a name or number. can you help? there's no visible serial number.

it has a great neck and action and is very nice to play

whoops i forgot to add the link. sorry
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7407103591

I got to know Paul quite well in the 80s when he was based the old Manson Guitars site in Crowborough. I can only confirm what has been said about the insruments Paul produced. I have four Fingerbone guitars - a conventional Strat, a Fingerbone Fastback, a more heavily customised Strat with EMGs and a Khaler trem and an explorer. If anyone has a fastback guitar or base with a coloured headstock to match the body, that design was my wife's idea and my Fastback was the first he tried it on. The bassplayer on one of my bands has two Fastback bases, an active 5 string and a 4 string fretless. A count of 6 between the two of gives an indication of how "revered" these instruments are by many of their players. I have another Fender Strat, a Fender Telecaster and a Gibson Les Paul. What's the guitar I almost always use live? The Fingerbone Strat with EMGs! Paul wherever you are, the workmanship you put in those years ago is still appreciated by those lucky enough to own your guitars!

I had basses built by Paul when he was in Crowborough, and also when he moved down to Brighton (when I think he shared a workshop with "Matthew"? who was building acoustics) I still have my green fastback bass, and a friend of mine has the last 6 string fastback ever built (by Paul).
I too would like to know what happened to Paul, he built fine instruments and his service was second to none.
I also have to commend the Kent Armstrong pickups.

Paul, are you still out there somewhere?

Re: Fingerbone guitar on ebay

: I had basses built by Paul when he was in Crowborough, and also when he moved down to Brighton (when I think he shared a workshop with "Matthew"? who was building acoustics) I still have my green fastback bass, and a friend of mine has the last 6 string fastback ever built (by Paul).
: I too would like to know what happened to Paul, he built fine instruments and his service was second to none.
: I also have to commend the Kent Armstrong pickups.

: Paul, are you still out there somewhere?
hi there, a fingerbone finished 2 nites ago on ebay it did not make the asking price £500. i dont know if it was made by the late paul richerdson/i dont know anything about fingerbone guitar but i want to buy one cause they look good and great reviews.do you have any numbers i should look for on the P.R. ones?? ta g.r

I have been looking for links for fingerbone guitars for ages!
I bought my fingerbone bass in Apr. 91, english walnut back, quilted maple top, birdseye neck and ebony fretboard.
It had the trapezoid pickups but replaced them with bartolini single coils and had a defret.....sounds much better now (ebony fretboards seems better with a fretless than fretted.)
Had lots of trouble with mine from the off. The truss rod rattled against the fingerboard, so they had to fill the cavity to stop the rattling!
I think the guy i delt with at the time was called Julian.
I think i bought mine at the end of their time as i remember they parted company with one of their builders (who made my neck!) and were going into just making acoustics.
The bass feels good to play, but has a very brittle sound (probably due all the hard woods) The neck is very thin aswell which i think doesn't help the sound.
Its a good bass for an active rock sound and i wouldn't part with it (had it too long!!) but it just doesn't cut it against mi' fender jazz.

Looking for any photo's of fingerbone basses & guitars
Thanks.

I met Paul Richardson when he happened to be in a guitar store in Brighton I walked into, in 1985. I play 5-string electric guitar (not bass) tune to open-G, a la Keith Richards. I gave him the specs to make me a custom guitar and it was a beautiful job: Tele-like, Mahogany body, tigers-eye veneer, ebony fretboard, rock-maple neck - I think, Bubinga and mother of pearl skull inlays; Schaller pickups (because they have rail pole-pieces to span my 5 strings; and active electronics, which I removed. A really great sounding guitar, and very easy to play. The neck is thin, which plays great, but I'm always concerned it's going to break - but it hasn't in 20 years. I wish Paul all the best.

Living near Crowbrough I had a 'Tele' Custom built in '86 which is tabacco sunburst, solid i.e. heavy, mahogany body and the best low profile maple and ebony neck I have ever found (allegedly!) Like Julians it had Schaller hardware and is probably the least Fender sounding Tele out there. I have often thought about a few changes to the pickups over the years but have resisted, the only cange was a coiltap to induce a bit more lift. Loved it when it was completed and still love it now!

: I met Paul Richardson when he happened to be in a guitar store in Brighton I walked into, in 1985. I play 5-string electric guitar (not bass) tune to open-G, a la Keith Richards. I gave him the specs to make me a custom guitar and it was a beautiful job: Tele-like, Mahogany body, tigers-eye veneer, ebony fretboard, rock-maple neck - I think, Bubinga and mother of pearl skull inlays; Schaller pickups (because they have rail pole-pieces to span my 5 strings; and active electronics, which I removed. A really great sounding guitar, and very easy to play. The neck is thin, which plays great, but I'm always concerned it's going to break - but it hasn't in 20 years. I wish Paul all the best.

When I first dealt with Fingerbone guitars, Paul worked with another guy who eventually went off to set up his own business in Tonbridge. I think that the guitars that were built exclusively by Paul were sometimes superior to those built by others. All of mine were built by Paul when he was working on his own in Crowborough. My bass player's two Fingerbones were built by Paul and the only problems he's had have been have been with the electrics but these were just dry joints. I think the issue of getting and keeping luthiers that met Paul's standards was a part of what made it so difficult for Paul to compete with other handbuilders.

I think my bass was built when Paul had sold the company to someone else, but they kept the Fingerbone name.
Its good to know that others have fingerbone guitars and enjoy them.
IF you have any pics of you fingerbone guitars or basses, please send them over!

:I have a Fingerbone fastback 5 string fretless built for me in 1990. It has a mahogany body, with a flamed olive ash face, a birds-eye maple neck with ebony fingerboard. The pick-ups are split wound Kent-Armstrongs which give me a stereo output into a custom built stereo amp. This gives me B,E and A through the left channel, and A,D and G through the right channel. Huge sound and very controllable. I wouldn't part with it for the world.

I also have a Fingerbone. It's a hybrid...the body and all electrics are Fingerbone, bought from the Fingerbone stand after a show, and the neck is a fretless rosewood boarded thing...probably a Washburn. It is the only fretless I have encountered that has that '80's 'Paul Young' sound from the off. It plays faultlessly, always has. It may be a mongrel, but it has a really low action, the hand would Fingerbone 'wood' pick-ups (which is where the sound comes from) and most important of all, it hangs right. I can't be doing with Fender basses, the octave is too far round the body, my main bass, a Guild, has its octave where Warwick basses do, in front but a little to the right...The Fingerbone is the same!

Hi
I put together a number of Figerbone guitars and bass's in the early and mid 90's.
One bass had a fretless neck, it was a Westone neck with the end modified to get rid of the signature Westone shape.
The pickups were originally made by Kent Armstrong (himself) and were cast into a black resin, for this bass I used standard bass pickups in and outer casing of MDF toped off with very thin ply and stained Walnut-ish.
It was a great bass, but being a guitarist not a bassist, I swopped it for a Gordon Smith that I saw in a shop in Southampton around about 1993.
Over a 2-3 year period I probably put together about 10 several had Fingerbone necks but the accuracy of the fret spacing was somewhat suspect, most had Tanglewood neck re shaped to 6 - aside bit like a Sur.
I think all had Kent Armstrong pickups but most were standard shape in an outer trapezoid cover.
I've probably got pictures of some of them if anybody is interested.

Geoff Mason

Goeff Mason Said;
: One bass had a fretless neck, it was a Westone neck with the end modified to get rid of the signature Westone shape.
: The pickups were originally made by Kent Armstrong (himself) and were cast into a black resin, for this bass I used standard bass pickups in and outer casing of MDF toped off with very thin ply and stained Walnut-ish.
It was a great bass, but being a guitarist not a bassist, I swopped it for a Gordon Smith that I saw in a shop in Southampton around about 1993.

Yup, And I bought it from that shop in '93 (In St Mary's Street) and I still have it!...As you say, it's a great bass and I bought it entirely on the sound...A perfect classic '80's fretless sound. My son knocked it over about 5 years ago and chipped a bit of the lacquer on the body but otherwise it's still excellent...

Nice job!

Jon

Re: Fingerbone numbers

: Hi
: I put together a number of Figerbone guitars and bass's in the early and mid 90's.
: One bass had a fretless neck, it was a Westone neck with the end modified to get rid of the signature Westone shape.
: The pickups were originally made by Kent Armstrong (himself) and were cast into a black resin, for this bass I used standard bass pickups in and outer casing of MDF toped off with very thin ply and stained Walnut-ish.
: It was a great bass, but being a guitarist not a bassist, I swopped it for a Gordon Smith that I saw in a shop in Southampton around about 1993.
: Over a 2-3 year period I probably put together about 10 several had Fingerbone necks but the accuracy of the fret spacing was somewhat suspect, most had Tanglewood neck re shaped to 6 - aside bit like a Sur.
: I think all had Kent Armstrong pickups but most were standard shape in an outer trapezoid cover.
: I've probably got pictures of some of them if anybody is interested.

: Geoff Mason
Hi there, would you by chance know the number stamped on the Paul Richardson guitars please cause i'm trying to buy a late P.R. made 6 string elecric . ta. g.r

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.