Vintage Ibanez Roadster Bass

Posted by Richard Dale on Wed, 05/24/06 - 11:03:04.

i have a 1979 ibanez roadster bass that i've been playing for a few years. i've never been able to find anything about the bass and was hoping you could help :-)

i can't find any reference to this bass on the various Ibanez websites that are available.

there are very few distinguising marks apart from the serial number H790694

i've taken some pictures of the bass here:
escapeact.com/richbass

would this be the RS800 model?

any info you have would be much appreciated!

Related Article:
Ibanez SWX Bass Amps

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Vintage Ibanez Roadster Bass

: i have a 1979 ibanez roadster bass that i've been playing for a few years. i've never been able to find anything about the bass and was hoping you could help :-)
:
: i can't find any reference to this bass on the various Ibanez websites that are available.
:
: there are very few distinguising marks apart from the serial number H790694
:
: i've taken some pictures of the bass here:
: http://www.escapeact.com/richbass/
:
: would this be the RS800 model?
:
: any info you have would be much appreciated!

aloha, I have a roadster and had the same problem as you but finaly found out that the bass was released only in japan and thats why you couldent find it in any of the books her in the u.s. some one told me that the bass is worth 2-4 times the price of the roadstar, but considering that you have one you would be able to tell just by how it play's

: : i have a 1979 ibanez roadster bass that i've been playing for a few years. i've never been able to find anything about the bass and was hoping you could help :-)
: :
: : i can't find any reference to this bass on the various Ibanez websites that are available.
: : there are very few distinguising marks apart from the serial number H790694

Hey from Canada! I have a 1979 burgandy/woodgrain and blonk neck fretted
active Roadster, and it's still the only fretted I have. I love this bass-through my present Traynor, or Ampeg. The necks are so long that once you get good you can play anything!lol
All the best!
Denny, Peterborough, Ontario , Canada
: : i've taken some pictures of the bass here:
: : http://www.escapeact.com/richbass/
: : would this be the RS800 model?
: : any info you have would be much appreciated!

: aloha, I have a roadster and had the same problem as you but finaly found out that the bass was released only in japan and thats why you couldent find it in any of the books her in the u.s. some one told me that the bass is worth 2-4 times the price of the roadstar, but considering that you have one you would be able to tell just by how it play's

http://www.ibanez.ru/info/index.php?catalog

: i have a 1979 ibanez roadster bass that i've been playing for a few years. i've never been able to find anything about the bass and was hoping you could help :-)
:
: i can't find any reference to this bass on the various Ibanez websites that are available.
:
:
:
:

ive got one of the active ones of these like andys its an rs900 as played by phil lynott it weighs a ton but i love it brilliant bass and i own hot rod usa precision but the ibanez is right up there reminds me of a 70s precision i had

: : i have a 1979 ibanez roadster bass that i've been playing for a few years. i've never been able to find anything about the bass and was hoping you could help :-)
: : i can't find any reference to this bass on the various Ibanez websites that are available.
: : there are very few distinguising marks apart from the serial number H790694
: : i've taken some pictures of the bass here:
: : http://www.escapeact.com/richbass/
: : would this be the RS800 model?
: : any info you have would be much appreciated!

: ive got one of the active ones of these like andys its an rs900 as played by phil lynott it weighs a ton but i love it brilliant bass and i own hot rod usa precision but the ibanez is right up there reminds me of a 70s precision i had

Yes that is an RS800, I've an RS920 which i've had from new (1980) twin active pups. Still sounds brillaint

I've got a Roadster Bass VERY similar to yours - and I can't find anything about it either!

Mine is exactly the same shape - is pure wood coloured, no scratchplate and has 3 rotaries (Volume, Treble, Bass)

Look it up at www.andyflett.com

I think you're destined to stay in ignorance about it - I've been looking for ages. Even Ibanez don't seem to want to know about that model. Strange, because it's my favourite!

AF

:
:
:
:
:

I have the H803610 Ibenez Roadster Bass. I bought it new in 1080, and have toured the world with it, and I'm still traveling with it. Haven't had a single problem out of it. Beautiful bass to have in your arcinal of guitars (basses). No matter what anyone says, these bass guitars are awsome. As many of you know the letters are the month the guitar was made... in my case "H"= September ... the two numbers after is the year of the make .... in my case 80=1980 .... and the remaining number tells what number the guitar came off the production belt...in my case 3610. So H803610.

The RS series is a year earlier than mine....RS800 for example is RS800 = Roadster Series 800. Roadster players seem to always keep their guitar (basses)....wonder why? Wonder why you can't find many in the pawn shops? Because Roaster players know they have a great instrument.

Yes, it is a Roadster RS800 which they manufactured until the end of 1980. I own one myself which looks pretty much like yours. These basses offered a very good value for the money and still sound great.

Regards,
Bernd

Just to add to this great mess, I have a Roadster bass which is different to the others mentioned so far.

According to the serial number, it's a 1980 model. It has a two octave neck (ie:24 frets) the headstock is 2 pegs on one side, 2 on the other, the body shape is the same as those mentioned here, it's a sunburst, pickups are a straight and a split. Coolest thing is the active, yes active, pickups. A 9v battery slips in the back and there is a second switch to turn the active circuit on and off, as well as separate treble and bass controls. Those tone controls are a cut/boost type dial with a detent in the middle. For recording or for a live mix it is awesome, lets you cut through the mix for popping and slapping or stay back with some bowel shaking lows.

I love the old girl, and she's in mint condition. If anyone knows anything more about this model, please let me know!

Cheers,
Glenn

: Just to add to this great mess, I have a Roadster bass which is different to the others mentioned so far.

: According to the serial number, it's a 1980 model. It has a two octave neck (ie:24 frets) the headstock is 2 pegs on one side, 2 on the other, the body shape is the same as those mentioned here, it's a sunburst, pickups are a straight and a split. Coolest thing is the active, yes active, pickups. A 9v battery slips in the back and there is a second switch to turn the active circuit on and off, as well as separate treble and bass controls. Those tone controls are a cut/boost type dial with a detent in the middle. For recording or for a live mix it is awesome, lets you cut through the mix for popping and slapping or stay back with some bowel shaking lows.

: I love the old girl, and she's in mint condition. If anyone knows anything more about this model, please let me know!

: Cheers,
: Glenn

GLENN, At last - this sounds like mine.
Had it since the late 80s. Bought it second hand off a friend. I love it. Its a sunburst colour and still plays beautifully 20+ years on.

Have been trying out new basses in various shops in London and can't find anythng with such a diverse range of sounds.

So you have a picture of yours?

I have a very similar bass. I was told it was a 1978 Ibanez Road 'STAR' not Road 'STER'. Anyway, it has a sunburst finish. A rectangular head stock w/ EA/top and D/G/bottom. Two pick-ups; a J neck and P bridge (both white for some reason). Active electronic toggle switch. Volume & Treble knobs and separate Volume & Treble for active use. Also it has a 24 fret maple neck that has incredible low action. Every guitar player in every band I've been in loved playing this thing. I got it from a friend in 1983, I think, or '84 maybe. He had bought it new. I've since replaced the bridge w/ a Badass II and the pick-ups with Bartolini's. I LOVE THIS BASS!!!!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.