Re: gould guitar

Posted by Susan on Wed, 04/13/05 - 11:11:43.

I have a Gould, signed by a.landau,model number F-31. I have found out that most if not all Goulds in the US were originally purchased in Michigan. GJ. Gould died 3 years ago, his widow is in West Bloomfield,Mi.and has a son living in the same area. They are awesome guitars but because most people have never heard of them, it is difficult to determine a value. They are only worth what someone will pay for them.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Gould GF-110s

http://s447.photobucket.com/user/jrbondy1/library/Guitars

Gould GW-20 12 string

I got my Gould Guitar in the 70. After my Epiphone 12 string was stolen during a break in at the dorm, a gal offered to sell me her Gould for $75.00 so I would have a guitar and she would have the money for some concert tickets. Had some problems with top bowing due to the bracing coming unglued from the top in the 90's and found a luthier in the Omaha, NE area to fix it. Used it until 2003 when I purchased a Yamaha SGX8-12 string so I could plug into the sound system. Now my Gould is my home guitar.

My label on the bottom has the Model WG-20 and says Hand Crafted Gould Guitar Distributed by Guitars and Such, Importers, Wholesalers, Distributers. The SN is stamped on the heal of the neck inside the body of the guitar.

Nice to find this sight to get a bit of history on the brand.

I also purchased a GF110s back in the 70's from who I believe was the man himself at his home in Michigan. I still love it now as much as back then, maybe more. Such a great playing instrument. I have never met anyone who has ever heard of Gould in the 30 plus years I have owned mine. It has a crack from the bridge to the bottom edge that I want to get repaired but am afraid someone may make it worse, any suggestions?

GF 110 S by Yamaki

I have a GF 110 S made by Yamaki. I bought it from a friend who bought it new in New York in 1975. It has "Daniels" on the headstock. 3 piece rosewood back...rosewood sides and solid spruce top. I have been able to find information on Yamaki Guitars, but nothing about a Yamaki GF 110 S, and nothing on Daniels on the headstock. Interesting that yours is a Gould?

GF 110 S

Very old reply, sorry. Do you have any pics of your Guitar you say is a "Daniels", I'd be interested if it is the same as mine. Mine looks like it has laminated back & sides but very well done, it would be a sandwiched lamination to make it appear to be solid Rosewood 3 piece back & sides. Mine has "Gould" inlayed on the headstock.

jrbondy73@gmail.com

daniels guitar

This was designed by my father,Daniel Braught. I have been looking for people that have them, and nobody wants to get rid of them. If you would like to sell, please let me know. If not, I am trying to get feedback and pictures of people w/their guitars telling stories. He is not doing well at all and this would be a lift to his spirits.

Guitar

Please contact me at 239-800-4848 or 786-444-1974

: I have a Gould, signed by a.landau,model number F-31. I have found out that most if not all Goulds in the US were originally purchased in Michigan. GJ. Gould died 3 years ago, his widow is in West Bloomfield,Mi.and has a son living in the same area. They are awesome guitars but because most people have never heard of them, it is difficult to determine a value. They are only worth what someone will pay for them.

I also also have a Gould WG-20 a wonderful 12 string I bought around 1977-8 at a small guitar shop in Detroit called the Hole in the Wall. They were having a two for one sale and I talked a buddy in buying a 12 string which he later sold. Paid $250 for it back then. It isn't signed just the Gould and Sons label. Still sounds and plays great

: : I have a Gould, signed by a.landau,model number F-31. I have found out that most if not all Goulds in the US were originally purchased in Michigan. GJ. Gould died 3 years ago, his widow is in West Bloomfield,Mi.and has a son living in the same area. They are awesome guitars but because most people have never heard of them, it is difficult to determine a value. They are only worth what someone will pay for them.

Hello- I grew up in Detroit and I met George Gould several times. I bought a total of 3 guitars from him in the 1970s. George had a business wholesaling cheap guitars, mainly for Sears, and I think he made a fair amount of money at it. But his main 'love' was in designing high quality acoustic guitars. I have been playing my Gould 6-string, a GF-140S, regularly for nearly 30 years! This instrument was designed by Gould but handmade by the Kizan brothers in Japan. It has gotten better with age and I've never even considered replacing it.

I had also bought a cheap acoustic from George to use as a 'beach guitar', and also a pretty nice 12-string, but both of those are long gone.

Hello - I finally found an online thread after all these years regarding Gould guitars. I have owned a GF110S since 1975, purchased in Ann Arbor Michigan while visiting a faith community to learn their music. My friend Don Austin new a man, never knew his name, who came to sell me a guitar out of his station wagon. One was the one I bought, rich dark wood sides and back in three pieces with inlays between, and mother of pearl inlays in the finger board, the other was entirely blonde. Both beautiful and played wonderfully. The one I bought was a little more expensive than the other - $167.50, and $50.00 for the hardshell case! A steal. Most guitars I play for 2,000 and up don't hold a candle to it. The only problem I'm having with it now is the neck wants to bed down in the winter for lack of humidity. It's been difficult to control, and hard to find anybody who can help with small repairs. I sure would love to hear from anyone who loves their old Gould acoustics and would have anymore information on the whole story. Contact me at normrep@gmail.com. Thanks!

: Hello- I grew up in Detroit and I met George Gould several times. I bought a total of 3 guitars from him in the 1970s. George had a business wholesaling cheap guitars, mainly for Sears, and I think he made a fair amount of money at it. But his main 'love' was in designing high quality acoustic guitars. I have been playing my Gould 6-string, a GF-140S, regularly for nearly 30 years! This instrument was designed by Gould but handmade by the Kizan brothers in Japan. It has gotten better with age and I've never even considered replacing it.

: I had also bought a cheap acoustic from George to use as a 'beach guitar', and also a pretty nice 12-string, but both of those are long gone.

D -300 Gould

If you own a Gould, Ibanez or any 300 series acoustic circa 1980 associated w/Hoshino Gakki with a "K" ser. # suffix, pls. apprise. Thanks...i.e. d-300 v-300 m-320. Cimar...Kentucky...

ser= xxxxxxxxK

tabs omitted when

tabs omitted when posted....
F-110 thru F-220 + W-115, W-120 1970 Folk/Western Deluxe
F-125 thru F-240 + W-125 1970 Folk/Western Custom

Yamaki built Gould imported

G=Gould F110=Yamaki Folk 6 string custom in 1970 the deluxe model received a different number as opposed to the S suffix for Spruce top.

Custom 1970 6/12 Deluxe 1970 6/12
F Folk=125,130,140,225,230,240 F-110,112,115,118,120,215,220
W Western=125 W-115

Gould GF 110s

I'm just posting here again to say that I've installed a set of Grover tuners, a bone saddle & bone bridg pins. I also took my Gould GF110s to Mike Koontz, he's supposedly the best guitar tech/luthier around these parts for a total setup. I wanted him to reset the neck but he balked at doing it & said the guitar wasn't worth the cost of a neck reset, I was devastated. I knew this guitar sounded as good if not better than any $2500.00 Martin I'd played & he was judging it by the name on the headstock. Well I left his shop depressed, I knew it wasn't playing like it could with a neck job and didn't have any other reputable shop I knew of to fix it, so I did it myself, I'm a carpenter of 40 years, cabinetmaker, how hard could it be..

Well after studying up & planing my attack I went for it. This was after going out & buying a new Martin & retiring the Gould to its case.
Not wanting to pat myself on the back to much I now have a GF110s that is 99.8% perfect neck wise. It plays & sounds beautifully, like the guitar I knew it could be, every bit as nice as the Martin I paid $2000.00 for.

I'm still not sure of the complete background of this guitar but it looks like the Martin Neil Young plays in many of his older videos. It has the three piece rosewood back, sides rosewood, mother of pearl rectangular inlays on the neck with a solid spruce top. It very much resembles his Martin.

Needless to say I'm tickled to death with this guitar & want to take & show Koontz I wasn't crazy but don't want to insult him. He did do a great job leveling the frets along with some other things. Did I say I absolutely Love my Gould 6 string I bought from G.L. Gould himself, he said it was a great guitar and he was right..

: Hello - I finally found an online thread after all these years regarding Gould guitars. I have owned a GF110S since 1975, purchased in Ann Arbor Michigan while visiting a faith community to learn their music. My friend Don Austin new a man, never knew his name, who came to sell me a guitar out of his station wagon. One was the one I bought, rich dark wood sides and back in three pieces with inlays between, and mother of pearl inlays in the finger board, the other was entirely blonde. Both beautiful and played wonderfully. The one I bought was a little more expensive than the other - $167.50, and $50.00 for the hardshell case! A steal. Most guitars I play for 2,000 and up don't hold a candle to it. The only problem I'm having with it now is the neck wants to bed down in the winter for lack of humidity. It's been difficult to control, and hard to find anybody who can help with small repairs. I sure would love to hear from anyone who loves their old Gould acoustics and would have anymore information on the whole story. Contact me at normrep@gmail.com. Thanks!

: : Hello- I grew up in Detroit and I met George Gould several times. I bought a total of 3 guitars from him in the 1970s. George had a business wholesaling cheap guitars, mainly for Sears, and I think he made a fair amount of money at it. But his main 'love' was in designing high quality acoustic guitars. I have been playing my Gould 6-string, a GF-140S, regularly for nearly 30 years! This instrument was designed by Gould but handmade by the Kizan brothers in Japan. It has gotten better with age and I've never even considered replacing it.

: : I had also bought a cheap acoustic from George to use as a 'beach guitar', and also a pretty nice 12-string, but both of those are long gone.

I have the same GF 110S model per your description, just a beautiful piece for $165.00. I to purchased from George Gould back in the late seventies around Ann Arbor, MI. and it also gives me problems in the winter months with the neck twisting due to humidity I would guess. This guitars sound is deep, one of the most beautifully sounding guitars I've played and yes it has gotten better with age. I play a guitar hard and it takes everything I can dish out. I have wondered about getting the neck planned and it has a crack from the bridge downward to the bottom. Not sure if my kids fell into it rough housing or if it's also from the humidity. I usually kept it leaning string side to the wall or in the case. A couple years ago I bought a stand and thats when the neck twist seemed to advance more. I have other more expensive popular brands and they don't come close sound wise. jrbondy@gmail.com

Gould GF 90

I just put a new set of strings on my Gould GF90 tonight while admiring the condition it's still in. I bought it in 1974 (my first "decent" guitar) in Detroit for about $175 with a cardboard case. Most of my guitar playing friends never heard of this brand, so on a whim I finally googled it and am happy to have learned a little gould history (always wondered who Kizan was). I finally put a set of Grover tuning heads on it last year, and aside from many sets of strings and a few neck adjustments over the last 38 years it still looks, sounds, and plays great! I still play it every day and use it as a "beach" guitar in northern michigan every summer. I got a new guitar case for father's day a few years ago and the taped up original case ended up in a beach bonfire.

Gould guitar GS -20 12 string

I bought this guitar around 1979 from a guy operating out of a warehouse in Oak Park, Michigan. I paid a few hundred dollars for it then, which was all the money in the world for a starving folk singer. I had reason to unpack and play it again recently and am in awe of the sound. Beautiful guitar that has withstood the time so well...so many memories of the venues, the people and the scene around that time...they just come flooding back to me when I pick it up....

Gould GF110s

My Gould GF110s has no sticker in the inside just the GF110s stamped on a brace and mother of pearl inlay GOULD vertically on the headstock.

: a pretty nice 12-string, but both of those are long gone.

You sold this to me for an outrageous price about 1980. It recently met its fate at a teenage party at our house in an unfortunate "El Kabong"-style incident.

: You sold this to me for an outrageous price about 1980. It recently met its fate at a teenage party at our house in an unfortunate "El Ka "-style incident.

Yeah, but your check bounced so you still owe me 50 bucks.

Jon,

Your story sounds like mine. I purchased a GF-110S from George (built by Kizan) in 1977. Many guitars have come and gone in those thirty years, but the Gould stays. Every now and then I fall in love with it all over again. I suspect that the GF-110S is a less ornate version of the GF-140S which I turned down because the $50 difference was a LOT in those days.

Dan

Kizan

I realize it's an old post ...Nice guitar. I had a Kizan GC for a short time. Jon how did you know it was built by the Kizan factory. If I remember correctly he joined his brother at Daion or Yamaki.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.