Yairi Guitar = Hand made

Posted by Gill Hogg on Fri, 10/18/02 - 12:52:25.

I have a beautiful Classical Guitar which I bought in 1966. They had just arrived in Scotland and were the best on the market at that time.

The label inside reads:

B & M SOLOIST - Handmade by Yairi - No 222 AD 1966 (Japan)

Has anybody any idea how much it is worth ?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

My Yairi doesn't have a serial number?

Hi, I have been on the internet, for god knows how long, trying to find the guitar that my Mum owns? Basically, I'm learning how to play guitar on my Mum's old YAIRI, and only recently have I been curious as to where it came from, and are there more of them out there? I know the Yairi make are handmade and come from Japan.
Now, my guitar doesn't have a serial number, it just says:
By YAIRI
Serial No. AD.
(JAPAN)
But I'm looking online, and they all say they have serial numbers? It's a B&M Artiste and if you look closely, inside the guitar is an engraving of a name... It says; sadayar nagoya ..
Either that or; Sadayairi (I don't know if there are I's between the R, it's been engraved in the wood, and it's a bit hard to see since my Mum bought it in the 70's)

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same guitar, or know the history?

Re: Yairi Guitar = Hand made

: I Have a Yairi 1966 model number 181 B & M soloist Japan unfortunately the machine block had to be replaced,it broke 7 times!It still sounds lovely and is a good old friend of mine.I bought this for four £'s (yes 4 pounds) on the top deck of a bus. It was used on a 'BIG' demo session for a famous artist some years ago. I must dig out that session and give it another whirl.

:

:

:sorry gang,it's me again.The artist who's song I used the Yairi on was Kate Bush, and the song was called Hammer Horror- just out of interest- there you go. I like this guitar forum/seeking stuff it's great. Thank you Gill Hogg you are a little gem.

: I Have a Yairi 1966 model number 181 B & M soloist Japan unfortunately the machine block had to be replaced,it broke 7 times!It still sounds lovely and is a good old friend of mine.

:

:

My mum's friend's neighbour (bit disjointed i know) was throwing out old things and was about to throw this acoustic until the friend grabbed it for me. she was only going to throw it out because a couple of strings were broken. I'm so glad she didn't.

It reads inside B & M Soloist handmade by Yairi Serial No. 5 AD 1966.

It plays so beautifully and i've also been looking for how much it is supposed to be worth. it has a few scratches but it shouldn't make too much difference i would have thought.

I have No 51 made in 1965, and it cost £16! Still sounds good to me. No idea what its current value is - I'd be interested to know if you find out.

: I have No 51 made in 1965, and it cost £16! Still sounds good to me. No idea what its current value is - I'd be interested to know if you find out.

: : I have No. 164 B & M SOLOIST Made by Yairi Japan
1965. I payed $900 Australian in 2002.
What a great sound.
She is definatelly a keeper..

: I have a beautiful Classical Guitar which I bought in 1966. They had just arrived in Scotland and were the best on the market at that time.

: The label inside reads:

: B & M SOLOIST - Handmade by Yairi - No 222 AD 1966 (Japan)

: Has anybody any idea how much it is worth ?

Hi there, I've got a Yairi

Hi there,

I've got a Yairi B&M Soloist #16 from 1966.

I'd like to know it's market value, but I'll never part with it.

It was bought for my mum when she was pregnant with me (don't know how my father expected her to be able to play it!)

Anyway, like me it has picked up a couple of minor dings, but unlike me nothing has cracked or broken on it.

It is a truly fantastic guitar. Keeps in tune seemingly for ever.

I HAVE A YAIRI B & M SOLOIST 1966 NO 50.MY FRIENDS MUM WAS THROWING IT OUT IT HAD BEEN SAT IN THIER LOFT FOR YEARS SO I HAD IT. ITS PLAYS SO WELL AND IM SURE ITS HAUNTED. its one of the best acoustics i have ever played.

My Yairi guitar is number 851 AD made in 1971.The tone has got better and better over the years. The value is in the pleasure you get from the sound it makes. Mine cost about £40 new. I chose it because my brother bought a more expensive Yairi(c.£65)so there are greater and lesser ones. I would not sell mine, it's an old friend.

I have a Yairi Soloist dated 1970 (Serial No 443). I have had it from new and unfortunately it has picked up a couple of bad cosmetic scratches on the top. I also lent it to a "friend" who used a plectrum to play it. Ahh! The machine heads have also been replaced with inferior quality ones (don't ask why). I think it cost me about £45. A fortune when I was on apprentice wages of £3-15s-0p. I have recently been trying to find out more information on this guitar. The label says it is hand made by Yairi. I assume it is constructed from some kind of solid spruce for the top & solid mahogany for the sides and back. I would like to bring it back to its former glory, or at least put some decent machine heads on it. If anyone has any more information about this guitar and/or advice on restoration, it would be much appreciated. According to Mell Lewis at www.collectorcafe.com/article_archive.asp?article=460&id=894 it is now worth £300 (presumably in good condition), but he hasn't dated his article.

P.S. I have looked at the latest edition of the Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars by Zachary R. Fjestad, but they don't have it listed. They do have a section on Alvarez Yairi, but it is not mentioned and I don't think they any connection with the Yairi Soloist.

I have in front of me my dad's B&M soloist. Handmade by Yairi. Serial No. 295 AD. 1966 (Japan).Bought in Sheffield at some time in the sixties. Really nice tone and loud (probably the solid top and sides). Got an intonation prob which i think is caused by the bridge which has been tampered with. No idea of how much it's worth. My dad screwed some pretty knarley strap buttons into it,so that's probably detracted from it's value. Ah well. Hope i can sort the intonation out. I think the Yairi brothers are renowned luthiers if that's anything to go by.

: : I have a beautiful Classical Guitar which I bought in 1966. They had just arrived in Scotland and were the best on the market at that time.

: : The label inside reads:

: : B & M SOLOIST - Handmade by Yairi - No 222 AD 1966 (Japan)

: : Has anybody any idea how much it is worth ?

: : : I have a beautiful Classical Guitar which I bought in 1966. They had just arrived in Scotland and were the best on the market at that time.

: : : The label inside reads:

: : : B & M SOLOIST - Handmade by Yairi - No 222 AD 1966 (Japan)

: : : Has anybody any idea how much it is worth ?

: : : Hi i have a classical guitar.....
Ive had it for two years.
I payd $900 australian.
any more questions please email.
: : : Lable inside reads.
B & M SOLOIST hand made by YAIRI No. 164 AD.
Stamped 1965 japan......

: : : I have a beautiful Classical Guitar which I bought in 1966. They had just arrived in Scotland and were the best on the market at that time.

I payd $900 australian.
: : : Lable inside reads.
B & M SOLOIST hand made by YAIRI No. 164 AD.
Stamped 1965 japan......

I payd $900 australian.

I too have a Yairi B&M Soloist hand made guitar, made in Japan, model number 450AD. Like yourself I have tried unsuccessfully to track down the value. It was bought new in 1970 for around £50.00 from a music shop on Shudehill in Manchester. The manager at the time lived in Levenshulme and was teaching me classical guitar. We were both going to a guitar teacher called Frank (Francis) Johnson. So if you're out there Terry, please lend a hand. Must go now, wife's getting tired with the typing!!

I have a 1971 Yairi Soloist Made in Japan. It is number 510AD and also made in Japan. In my collection I have many great instruments from Rickenbacker and Gibson, but I have never come across such a wonderful instrument. Almost everything I write and record has the Yarai on it. The flames in the wood come alive when polished up. I would love to hear from other users of this type of guitar. If yours is as good as mine then we are very lucky people.

: : I have a beautiful Classical Guitar which I bought in 1966. They had just arrived in Scotland and were the best on the market at that time.

: : The label inside reads:

: : B & M SOLOIST - Handmade by Yairi - No 222 AD 1966 (Japan)

: : Has anybody any idea how much it is worth ?

I too have this guitar numbered 404AD1970 which I bought from Woods Music Shop in Wakefield on the recommendation of my guitar teacher. I've now had it for 30 years - from my playing you might think I'd only had it 3 months!!!

Still sounds great though and I play it more than my Yamaha FG-200.

:I own a B&M Cocert #108, 1969, and am looking to sell it, and would like to know it's value

:

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.