Old Kraftsman/Harlin Bros Archtop?

Posted by Derek on Mon, 05/26/08 - 20:48:21.

I have recently purchased an Old Kraftsman Archtop with a replaced neck. There seems to be no serial number to identify the model.
However on the headstock there is a patent number and under it says "Harlin Bros Indianapolis, IND"
The patent is for a the type of guitar neck that the Harlin Brothers designed. Yet I am unable to find any information on the Harlin Bros other than that they made pedal steel guitars and Hawaiian sheet music.
Does anybody know whats going on with this guitar?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I have an Old Kraftsman single f hole I had know Idea, it's a

It is a Gibson. You have got to be kidding Me, made by them, it has 3 single coil Hum-buckers in it. I think that they are single coil. but the only number I have is off of one of the pick-ups and they all have the same # is, #631608, Wow It is a real custom made guitar by Gibson.

Re: Old Kraftsman/Harlin Bros Archtop?

: I have recently purchased an Old Kraftsman Archtop with a replaced neck. There seems to be no serial number to identify the model.
: However on the headstock there is a patent number and under it says "Harlin Bros Indianapolis, IND"
: The patent is for a the type of guitar neck that the Harlin Brothers designed. Yet I am unable to find any information on the Harlin Bros other than that they made pedal steel guitars and Hawaiian sheet music.
: Does anybody know whats going on with this guitar?

Followup: I have an old picture from my Mom's album that show a Harlin Bros band and their old music school. Lauren
Ann

Old Kraftsman and Harlin Bros.

The info I've found is that Kay made most of the Old Kraftsman guitars, though some may have been made by Harmony (as I remember it, the Harmony Jazz Model Jumbos were joined to the body at the 12th fret). As I recall, the Harlin Bros. pedal system was a major improvement but after the Great Depression hit, they were struggling.

I'm going to write to:
info@WUTZDOG-GUITARS.com
There was an article they archived that had a Harlin Bros. archtop like mine.
Though worth far less than a 1930's Gibson, I like the sound just as well (after a good luthier patched it together).

Re: Old Kraftsman/Harlin Bros Archtop?

Do you really? Is anybody playing an archtop acoustic?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.