Florida Guitar

Posted by Deano on Thu, 06/15/06 - 14:23:50.
In Reply to German-Guitars

Has anybody heard of a Florida acoustic guitar made by a German manufacturer. Dean

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Florida Guitar

re. The comment "From 1961-2 - 1989 products from germany were marked 'made in GDR' or 'made in w.germany' or 'made in west germany'. Never ever... 'made in germany'...

sorry but my battered old Florida guitar says " Florida" made in Germany just below the acoustic bridge on the right

Florida Parlour Guitar

I have a Florida small bodied acoustic (parlour guitar) It's beautiful with a gorgeous rich tone. I set mine up for finger picking and slide. The intonation is spot on. I have tried parlour guitars 3 times the price and I have to say the Florida surpasses them all. When recording with this guitar, it's easy to get a great sound. I also use it when I teach guitar as the size is good for transporting. My over all opinion is, if you have one of these babies, hang on to it. David from hillbillyguitars

Florida guitar

I also bought mine in a charity shop for a tenner. For sound, it is by far my favourite guitar, even if the action is a little high. The fact it only has cross bracing on the soundboard certainly helps this wee beauty to sing..as does its honest materials and construction..bloody clever hard working germans!! :) ...I think you all agree. All my guitar mates love her too. I wrote a song about her and I only perform it , obviously , if I have her with me...

I have researched a little as well, but not that thouroughly. Which is why I've found; and we've found nothing yet.
The thing is there are historical and political reasons for this lack of info, which is why it could take some research.

All our guitars are definitely older than 1989 when the wall came down (i was living in Berlin at that time ..I was 16-17)...and west germany and GDR became just Germany again.

From 1961-2 - 1989 products from germany were marked 'made in GDR' or 'made in w.germany' or 'made in west germany'. Never ever... 'made in germany'...

So we know our guitars date from pre- 1961.
Also the popularisation of the guitar happened in the late 40s early 50s.
I think we can almost safely say it is a 50s guitar.

In Berlin there is a building where they hold the records of people, companies etc.. from the old GDR ... I dont know what its called.
I've got a feeling that the company that made our guitar may have ended up on the east side of Germany post 1961? But its only a hunch , due to the lack of info on such a fine sounding instrument. During this time the factory may have been instructed to make something else, bear in mind the east was about 98% western culture free and 99% utilitarian. They probably ended up as a furniture manufacturer or something more "useful".

If anyone finds out anymore I'd love to know the craic :)
'til then love your Florida and never let her go :)

A pleasant thought:
Johnny Cash famously bought his first guitar in 1950-51 whilst in Germany serving with the US air force. He said it had no name and cost $5.
Maybe he just didn't notice it had Florida stamped on the front !! :)

Re: Florida Guitar

: Has anybody heard of a Florida acoustic guitar made by a German manufacturer. Dean

I just bought a Florida german made parlour guitar in a charity shop for £15 !! it has a beautiful rich tone.
Now I'm trying to find out more about it. Is there a website anywhere that might have more info?

Hi, I have the same guitar, you found out anything yet?
I've been trying to research this guitar also.My one has no label .Rob

: Hi, I also have the same guitar I think, with no label. I have had it for approx 30 years and can't find any information at all. Have you had any luck Dean/Rob?
: Hi, I have the same guitar, you found out anything yet?
: I've been trying to research this guitar also.My one has no label .Rob

: : Hi, I also have the same guitar I think, with no label. I have had it for approx 30 years and can't find any information at all. Have you had any luck Dean/Rob?
: : Hi, I have the same guitar, you found out anything yet?
: : I've been trying to research this guitar also.My one has no label .Rob

florida guitars

if you loo inside the guitar there should be a stamp its made in the 1960s vintage parlour florida made in germany just under the strings at the hole look down from the top of the threat board and its just at the entrance of the tone hole get back to is mines has worn thanks gerry

: : : : Hi, I also have the same guitar I think, with no label. I have had it for approx 30 years and can't find any information at all. Have you had any luck Dean/Rob?
: : : : Hi, I have the same guitar, you found out anything yet?
: : : : I've been trying to research this guitar also.My one has no label .Rob

:
: I have a Florida,three quarter size,classical.White trim round sound hole and belly edge.2 piece front,single back,4 position disc`s on neck,black tuner buttons,but no label.No help I`m afraid,just someone else with a similar prob.Good luck all.Alan

YOUR DESCRIPTION MATCHES MINE EXACTLY.
MUST BE THE SAME MODEL.
HAS A RATHER HIGH ACTION BUT SOUNDS LOVELY

:::::::Framus made one. Check it out at this link. http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/modells/instruments.php?modellID=398&katID=4628&cl=EN
: : : : Hi, I also have the same guitar I think, with no label. I have had it for approx 30 years and can't find any information at all. Have you had any luck Dean/Rob?
: : : : Hi, I have the same guitar, you found out anything yet?
: : : : I've been trying to research this guitar also.My one has no label .Rob

:
: I have a Florida,three quarter size,classical.White trim round sound hole and belly edge.2 piece front,single back,4 position disc`s on neck,black tuner buttons,but no label.No help I`m afraid,just someone else with a similar prob.Good luck all.Alan

: : : Hi, I also have the same guitar I think, with no label. I have had it for approx 30 years and can't find any information at all. Have you had any luck Dean/Rob?
: : : Hi, I have the same guitar, you found out anything yet?
: : : I've been trying to research this guitar also.My one has no label .Rob

I have a Florida,three quarter size,classical.White trim round sound hole and belly edge.2 piece front,single back,4 position disc`s on neck,black tuner buttons,but no label.No help I`m afraid,just someone else with a similar prob.Good luck all.Alan

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.