Re: voss

Posted by Terry Killer on Sun, 01/20/08 - 14:25:04.
In Reply to German-Guitars : Re: voss

Hi. I have an ancient Voss acoustic, I bought it 2nd hand from a teacher 25 years ago, it still plays but could do with a bit of tlc (the kids have had it for a while), photo if you want. I have no history on Voss & never seen another, any info would be appreciated. Regards Terry (UK)

: : does anyone have any information on Voss guitars, are they a german make? any info would be much help, thank you.

: Hi there,

: Yes, I had a Voss guitar in the 60's which I bought new and I gather it was Swedish. I can send you a jpg shot of it if you like. The electrics were not marvellous but then my amps then were the pits so I'll never really know.
: Do you jhave a Voss?
: Cheers
: Neill Pickard
: Christchurch
: New Zealand

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I have a voss

I don't know if people still comment on this board, but I'm going to comment likewise.
I was hopping freight up to northern Minnesota (U.S., right by canada) and I stepped into this "Northwoods Music" shop. it was quaint and beautiful with many vintage instruments. I used the 200$ I made panhandling to buy this VOSS. Me and my girlfriends all got guitars that day!
But I was impressed. I picked it up and it played beautifully. The only problem was, the action was a bit too high for my liking. So pressing down on the steel strings just turned my left hand fingertips into rocks! So many callouses. I would like to know more about this instrument!
It says, "handcrafted in west germany" on the triangle logo, and the shop owner said it was made in the nineteen sixties. The lacquer is hardly noticeably cracked as well. It's a half sized fireburst-looking acoustic. Small but such resonant and robust sound. A bit twangey at times, but I sing some bluegrass and folk so I don't mind the twang much. I was wondering how much these were worth!
I've been doing a lot of research on the internet regarding this brand of guitar, I can't find much at all.
I do love my Voss, it's been all the way across the country- kept her in tact on those freight trains.
If anyone has any information at all on this type of guitar, please feel free to let me know!
Abby Cat

Voss Guitar

My Mother purchased a Voss Concert Guitar from Maurice Lieberts studios in Christchurch New Zealand in 1959 for 64 pounds (NZ$128.00) with an original shaped Voss guitar case. At the time we were told it was made in West Germany.
It is an acoustic guitar with f shaped holes in a red star burst pattern colour.
It has ebony fret wood with mother of pearl inlay and mother of pearl on the headstock.
There is a steel rod inside the neck which can be adjusted to straighten the neck; I have never needed to adjust it.
In 1968 I had the original brass frets removed as they were worn and replaced with stainless steel. At the same time two Gibson 175 pickups were fitted. This guitar has been mainly used for jazz playing and recently I passed it onto my son. The guitar is still like brand new and has a wonderful full rich tone.
I have read various people claiming it was a cheaply made guitar which copied the American made Fender and Martin guitars of that time. I can only say it is a well made instrument that I am sure will be passed to my grandson one day.

Re: voss

: Hi. I have an ancient Voss acoustic, I bought it 2nd hand from a teacher 25 years ago, it still plays but could do with a bit of tlc (the kids have had it for a while), photo if you want. I have no history on Voss & never seen another, any info would be appreciated. Regards Terry (UK)

: : : does anyone have any information on Voss guitars, are they a german make? any info would be much help, thank you.

: : Hi there,

: : Yes, I had a Voss guitar in the 60's which I bought new and I gather it was Swedish. I can send you a jpg shot of it if you like. The electrics were not marvellous but then my amps then were the pits so I'll never really know.
: : Do you jhave a Voss?
: : Cheers
: : Neill Pickard
: : Christchurch
: : New Zealand
Hello, I just won a Voss Jazz Guitar on eBay and can tell you that they were made in Western Germany. Mine is very Beautiful and the condition is a 9 out of 10. It has a natural finish and it doesn't have the F holes but it has Cat Eyes which I really like the way they look. The reason I know that it was made in Germany it has a very readable decal just like most Framus Guitars have right by the lower sound hole. My email address is
rickyzeak@aol.com and just like you I'm trying to find out more information on the Voss Brand. So if you have found out any more than I know please share your information with me. I also know that this guitar was made around 1959. Thank You & God Bless! Ricky Inman in N.Carolina--USA

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.