Re: Levin guitars

Posted by kevin fletcher on Mon, 07/23/07 - 11:41:13.

: I have a Levin LS 18,serial no.140206, which i bought from a lady of nearly 100 about 12 years ago and she remembered buying it in the 1950's. It is all original, the top has aged beautifully and the tone is fabulous. I find that i can't be as sloppy on it as on my more modern guitars,it does need to be played more precisely. My understanding is that they are quite collectable now.

Gordon, Your guitar should be either LS-18 or LT-18.
: LS-18 (1957 - 1964) had normal round dot markers in the fretboard, and 3-in-line open tuners. LT-18 (1965 - 1968) had square shaped block inlays in the upper side (low E) of the fretboard. Both guitars were what was called Goliath size (approximately same as Dreadnought). The top was Alpine spruce, sides and bottom flamed maple, neck of mahogany and ebony fretboard. The LS-18 was called "the Levin Super Goliath".

: Approximate winning auction price on ebay lately 600 - 900$

: Best regards.../Magnus

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Levin LS-18

Hi Magnus, I have a "Levin LS-18. The serial number is 189718 and the number stamped on the head is 442439 On the label inside it says AB HERMAN CARLSON LEVIN. Goteburg. Could you please give me any info about it, ie date of manufacture. Many Thankslw 8t y

Re: Levin guitars

Kevin,

Serial number 140206 would make it year 1943, which is at least 15 years before the LS-18 was introduced. If it was bought in the late 50:s the serial number should be in the 350000-400000 range. I think (from studying several Levin instrument catalogs) that the model was introduced first as a guitar targeting the north american market, labeled Goya S-18, and I have never seen any before 1957.

Does Your guitar have the serial number stamped in the wood at the top of the neck?

Best regards.../Magnus

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.