Greco 980 circa 1968 MIJ - any info

Posted by Mike on Tue, 11/27/07 - 07:37:40.

Came across this cool old bird ( no serial number ) Greco " Gneco " logo and think I may have tracked her origins down from the Goya Greco 1968 catalog. She has the metal top hat knobs Anyone know more about this era ? ( timing was same year as Shrike ). One of the other Greco forums think that she could well be a Fuji Gen built for Goya to import to USA. She is very similar to Ibanez MIJ of the same period. My friends son is interested in buying her, showed her to me and asked me how much to restore her and if I would do some digging. It is a little out of my comfort zone as I usually play with late 70's to mid 80's MIJ. I have not been able to take her apart yet as he took her back to the current owner but here are a couple of pics. She has the typical problem with string slipping off the neck and badly needs a reset on the neck. Frets look reasonable and neck is good. She is missing the vibrato, ashtray and someone badly fitted an oversize nut ! Pick ups and switches are fine - wiring is Japanese syle and pots are the large variety. Any ideas on parts availabilty for these on evilbay or similar ? Opinions welcome on if she is a project worthy of trying to restore or if should I tell him she is now a parts recycling job.

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc144/guinnessmikey/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Greco 980 circa 1968 MIJ - any info

Hey Mike - I have the same model but the neck is cracked and the rest needs a good deal of work to be playable.

1) do you still have this guitar?

2) interested in selling either the neck only or the entire guitar?

let me know. thanks.

Yes I am interested in selling the entire guitar. Email me. guinnessmikey@yahoo.com

: Came across this cool old bird ( no serial number ) Greco " Gneco " logo and think I may have tracked her origins down from the Goya Greco 1968 catalog. She has the metal top hat knobs Anyone know more about this era ? ( timing was same year as Shrike ). One of the other Greco forums think that she could well be a Fuji Gen built for Goya to import to USA. She is very similar to Ibanez MIJ of the same period. My friends son is interested in buying her, showed her to me and asked me how much to restore her and if I would do some digging. It is a little out of my comfort zone as I usually play with late 70's to mid 80's MIJ. I have not been able to take her apart yet as he took her back to the current owner but here are a couple of pics. She has the typical problem with string slipping off the neck and badly needs a reset on the neck. Frets look reasonable and neck is good. She is missing the vibrato, ashtray and someone badly fitted an oversize nut ! Pick ups and switches are fine - wiring is Japanese syle and pots are the large variety. Any ideas on parts availabilty for these on evilbay or similar ? Opinions welcome on if she is a project worthy of trying to restore or if should I tell him she is now a parts recycling job.

: http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc144/guinnessmikey/

hey mike...i was wondering if you found any info about the '68 goya 980. i just got one in excellent condition. let me know if you got some answers. THX & happy holidays 1

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.