Re: levin Made in Sweden Model 174 serial No 517830

Posted by Magnus H on Fri, 12/30/05 - 04:54:08.

Mike, I have a Goya 174 myself, and it is for shure an amazingly fine instrument. I think the model was released by Levin Guitars (the original manufacturer of Goya)in 1969, as a replacer of the Levin LT18 (Goya T18). The guitar is basically the same, the visible differrence is new shape of the peghead and the pickguard. The 1971 Goya catalog also mention a new bracing system (on the inside of the spruce top), which could explain a slightly differrent sound. For details on the guitar see http://goyaguitars.tripod.com/catalog71_4.htm.
Regarding price, I would say that Goya flattops in general sell cheaper than they should. It seems like the Goya brand name has got a reputation as a cheap import alternative on the american market. This may be accurate for the late 70s to mid 90s when Martin Guitars used the brand name for import of Korean made cheap guitars, but from the early 50s to mid 70:s the Goyas were made by Europes finest manufacturer of Guitars and Mandolins, Levin Guitars of Gothenburg, Sweden. I have seen Goya T18:s, T23:s 174:s, which are all fairly same in design and structure, go for 300 to 800 USD on ebay, depending on shape (and competition). In Europe, the corresponding Levins sell for at least twice the money.

If You could describe the label inside the guitar it would be grand, mine says "Distributed by Dude Inc., Chanute Kansas, serial no 53936", and it has a Levin metal trussrod cover plate on the peghead.

Best regards..../Magnus

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

MARTIN D18 The Best?

I tried a vintage 1944 Martin D18 yesterday It made me cry.....lol The Martin D18 has to be the very best accoustic ever made. I have a vintage Levin Model 174, I have a old Martin D28, I have a Taylor 12 String, Dobro etc...but that Mahogeny back and side construction has to be the very best. Whenever I pick up ANY Martin D18 I Simply can not put it down. Whether I am playing a finger style Gordon Lightfooot tune or some Tony Rice licks...the D18 sounds phenomenal.

Am I alone in this idea? Comments welcome.

Dave www.jdgordon.com

LEVIN Model 174

I bought my model 174 Levin (Not Goya) in London , England in 1980 serial no 509421 Made in 1970/71.
It is a fabulous guitar, particularly in the studio. The engineers liked it much better than my Martin D28, which surprised me. It is great for finger picking and has a sound very much like a Martin D18...but because is it made from flame maple back and sides , it is not as loud as the D18. But sound wise, surprisingly simular.

I would put a value on mine at between $2,500-3,000 with the case. But I will never sell it. www.jdgordon.com

JD Gordon

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.