Re: Levin Guitar

Posted by Magnus H on Sun, 08/20/06 - 05:09:11.

Alan,

Model 163 was introduced in 1969, to the best of my knowledge, and was manufactured until at least 1972, when Levin introduced (1973) a new line, which did´t include any sunburst models. It replaced the Levin LN26 and was basically the same guitar. The LN26 was available since the early sixties.

These guitars were also available Goya branded for the north american market. I have a Goya model 163 myself, and I think it is a great guitar. I also have a model 174, which looks a bit more fancy, but not nescessarily any better.
For a more detailed spec on these guitars, have a look at

http://goyaguitars.tripod.com/catalog71_4.htm

Best regards...../Magnus

PS. Could You please post the serial number on Your guitar?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

hi
could you help me?
I have a levin model number LT-23
I have had it for 30 odd years
any history and price?
cheers

Eddie,

The LT-23 was introduced in the mid to late 1960:s, as a cowboy version of the LT18. It is a Goliath size (Levins version of a Dreadnought) with maple back and sides, spruce top and ebony fretboard with square shapes block inlays, adjusted to the bass side.

What makes it a cowboy guitar is the special pickguard with a cactus and a cowboy on, There are also an additional black piece of plastic in rear of the bridge, and I believe also cactus figure on the truss rod cover. There was a special shape of the bridge, which was in ebony.

I do believe the model was created as a Goya T23 for the American market to atract country& Western musicians. I disapeared from the catalogs after 1968.

I have seen one Goya T23 go on ebay and it went high, as I remember 850$

I imagine it would sell for more in Europe. It is a great guitar, allthough a bit vulgar.

On a Levin You should find a serial number on the tip of the headstock, or on the label in the soundhole. This can lead You to the model model year. look at
http://www.gitarren.se/radotips/sernr_levin.html

Hope this is what You wanted.

/Magnus

: Alan,

: Model 163 was introduced in 1969, to the best of my knowledge, and was manufactured until at least 1972, when Levin introduced (1973) a new line, which did´t include any sunburst models. It replaced the Levin LN26 and was basically the same guitar. The LN26 was available since the early sixties.

: These guitars were also available Goya branded for the north american market. I have a Goya model 163 myself, and I think it is a great guitar. I also have a model 174, which looks a bit more fancy, but not nescessarily any better.
: For a more detailed spec on these guitars, have a look at

: http://goyaguitars.tripod.com/catalog71_4.htm

: Best regards...../Magnus

: PS. Could You please post the serial number on Your guitar?

Hi Magnus
Thanks for the information on my guitar, much appreciated, the serial number cannot be seen its faded away and can just make out the model number 163.

Its got a beautiful sound, I play it most of all even tho I have another 3 guitars, ( it had a bad accident about 10 years ago when my wife knocked it over and snapped the head clean off, I went all over to get it repaired but they could'nt do it, until a friend of mine who is a joiner put it back together with caskamite, clamped it for 2 days and has been ok ever since. )

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.