Re: levin parlour accoustic model119

Posted by Mort Smith on Fri, 01/26/07 - 15:06:22.

: Michael,
: According to the Levin serial number lists, Your guitar should be a 1961. In the 1956 Levin catalog model 119 is pictured, and describes approximately (my translation from swedish):
: "Expensively made guitar in school model. Sides and bottom in birch. Top of Alp spruce with beautiful inlays around soundhole and top. Mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. 595 mm scale length. An easy to play guitar especially suitable for ladies and young people. One Year warranty. Price: 130 SEK." (1956)

: Based on the design of neck head and tuners, I would say that it is primarily made for steel strings, and that it probaly takes steel strings to get full sound out of it.

: I hope this information helps You...

: Best regards..../Magnus

I live in Shropshire, UK and recently discovered a Levin model 119 owned by a neighbour/friend. She has owned the guitar from new when it was bought for her to learn guitar when she was 12 years old in the late 1950's. (Purchased in Birmingham, UK). It was fitted with steel strings which had not been changed for many years and are possibly the original strings; the owner has no recollection of replacing them at any time. The serial number - 357232 - indicates it was made in 1957. The instrument is in good condition and has cleaned up beautifully. I have dressed the fingerboard and am about to replace the original machine heads which were broken. I am looking forward to playing it with new strings fitted. (It sounded good and played in tune with the old strings on!). Can anyone tell us how much this guitar is worth?

Mort Smith.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Levin model 119

I have a Levin 119 which was strung with nylon strings when I bought it. The guitar site Vintage Guitars Sweden cites the Specifications as:

Levin model 119

Non-cutaway.
Body width: 320 mm.
Body length: 450 mm.
Body depth: 98 mm.
Fingerboard width: 45 mm.
Scale length: 630 mm.
Spruce top.
Flame birch back & sides.
?-bound top.
Unbound back.
Mahogany neck.
Unbound rosewood fingerboard.
Rosewood bridge.
Nickel plated tuners with white plastic buttons.
Natural finish.
One year warranty.

Introduced: ca 1955

It also lists the Model 119 in the "Levin classical bridge steel-strung guitar" section.
Interestingly, Mort Smith, the serial number of my Levin 119 is only 2 along from your own at 357234. It's easy to play. Soft.
There is a Levin 119 up for sale on the net for $1250.00 but I guess that could be wishful thinking. On the other hand it could be worth more... I like Levins...
Nbs

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.