Re: zoom 9002 - replaced caps - now won't power up

Advertisement
Posted by John on Sat, 07/09/05 - 13:44:27.

I purchased a 9002 on ebay and it arrived with the accursed charge pump failure. Seller offered to refund, but I love these little guys and I hate to see 'em die. Still working on it, but Mark - you are so right about the traces on the board - they lift by barely touching them. Fortunately, there are holes for soldering the new caps, but you've really got to take note of the positions and gently desolder the old ones out like a surgeon. Also, there is another electrolytic cap on the board above, such that when you are about to close the unit, it interferes with closure - you may need to check and re-check it before you finally drive those screws home.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

ANOTHER 9002 RESURRECTED...

Thanks to Mark for his detailed guide on how to bring back to life the 9002,I´ve done it with mine(caps replacement only) and now is baddest than ever!;greetings from Barcelona-Spain- to all the retro-tech maniacs.

Re: zoom 9002 - replaced caps - sounds good

Well, it's up and running. Thanks to everyone, esp. Mark for posting this excellent repair. If these are the symptoms of your non-functional 9002, you could do worse than give $5 worth of parts a try. DO follow all instructions you see here, making note of anything that can further damage the unit, and DON'T try this unless you are very patient, good with a soldering iron, and have a decent knowledge of circuit board layout. You may need to move the large capacitor on the top board to make room for the new (and certainly better) capacitors.
Cheers, and good luck to all!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.