FP02 foot pedal diagram or schematic

Posted by chazoo on Fri, 01/27/06 - 13:18:32.
In Reply to Zoom Effects

Anyone have a schematic, diagram, and/or picture of the guts of a Zoom FP02 pedal? Looking to make my own out of durable materials...or maybe convert to an attachment on my bass's body as a slide switch...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: zoom gfx8 foot pedal diagram or schematic

no boot zoom foot pedal

no bank chaing

Re: FP02 foot pedal diagram or schematic

: Anyone have a schematic, diagram, and/or picture of the guts of a Zoom FP02 pedal? Looking to make my own out of durable materials...or maybe convert to an attachment on my bass's body as a slide switch...

: : Anyone have a schematic, diagram, and/or picture of the guts of a Zoom FP02 pedal? Looking to make my own out of durable materials...or maybe convert to an attachment on my bass's body as a slide switch...

As I wrote to another peron who asked for schematics for a FP02, it's probably just a potentiometer.

Connect ground to one "end" and the "input" (probably 9 V or 6V) to the other end of the potentiometer. Then connect the return signal to to middle connector (the variable) on the potentiometer.

You won't cause any damage to your effect box, because the possible errors you can make is you connect the return signal to ground (result: effect off) or to max value (result: effect at maximum). The only problem is to figure out the correct wires from the stereo-tele-plug but this is just trial and error.

If you DO get it rigth please post tour wiring here.

I have the pedal vm19l bespeco, it work perfectry! the internal circuit is the same you sescribed.. there is a potentiometer to set the minimum volume too, wired to the groumd, and a switch to invert the maximum volume position. if you seach for vm19l on the net you will find the internal circuit.

: : : Anyone have a schematic, diagram, and/or picture of the guts of a Zoom FP02 pedal? Looking to make my own out of durable materials...or maybe convert to an attachment on my bass's body as a slide switch...

: As I wrote to another peron who asked for schematics for a FP02, it's probably just a potentiometer.

: Connect ground to one "end" and the "input" (probably 9 V or 6V) to the other end of the potentiometer. Then connect the return signal to to middle connector (the variable) on the potentiometer.

: You won't cause any damage to your effect box, because the possible errors you can make is you connect the return signal to ground (result: effect off) or to max value (result: effect at maximum). The only problem is to figure out the correct wires from the stereo-tele-plug but this is just trial and error.

: If you DO get it rigth please post tour wiring here.

I just want to add that an old volume- or tone-potentiometer from a discarded guitar would probably work. Another option is to keep the knob in place and dissconnect this potentometer from the standard circuit and connect it to an extra stero jack. Then just use a stereo cable between the guitar and the effect box.

If you (like me) have the tone-controls in a fixed positione (max) then just harwire the tonecontrol and use the knob to something useful, like wha wha or volume...

Put a linear resistor in there

Also, another thing is adding the linear resistor in parallel with the pot might help lower the baseline resistance, and get around your problem of the 1/2 step offset on your whammy function. It seems that there is some natural resistance that causes the annoying half-step offset limitation (which i am experiencing too). It could also be due to using a long cable....

Details about using 50k pot

Hey Robert,

I just tried the same kind of idea, using a 250 k linear pot, TRS cable, and a jack, and a mount on my guitar strap, in order to not have to buy the FP01 for my Zoom G3 pedal, and just as you said, all the action was happening in the first 20% of the rotation on the 250k pot. So i figured since 20% of 250 k is 50k, what I should have gotten was a 50 k pot. However there's still one extra concern I noticed that you didn't mention yet. I noticed that the action in that 20% "active range" was giving an exponential response, not a linear response. For example, in an octave sweep, the second half of the octave is impossible to control, while the first half is easy, and with little change in notes upon rotation. I think this strongly implies it would be best to use a 50k logarithmic plot, in order to get a linear response inside the effect pedal. I suspect the FP01 uses a logarithmic pot as well.

Anyway my solution for both my problems is to put a 63kohm resistor in parallel with the 250k pot, which reduces the pot's effective range down to about 50k, and also makes it behave more logarithmic. I got this number from the standard equation for calculating resistances in parallel circuits. I haven't tried the fix yet but will soon. I'm excited that I can control the effects from my guitar now!!

Jeff

Yes

I think I was drunk when I originally wrote those comments. 50k?? 100k?? Not sure which one I ended up settling for, but yes neither one was perfect as wired..... I'm betting on the 20k Bespeco circuit now. I'm such a penny scraper--- I've had PLENTY of cash slip thru my fingers between now and the time that I first commented here, and could already have a storebought unit by now, lol, but hopefully we are helping someone :)

Sorry!

Erich and Cenobyte, can I assume you figured it out by this time? I'm sorry, I lost my bookmarks and didn't find this page again until I was randomly googling myself just now! Unfortunately, I have since disassembled this homemade expression pedal, as the 1/2-step offset and the 11-out-of-12-steps range were annoying limitations.
I did not write down the exact wiring scheme, sorry! Thankfully there aren't too many variations in a 3-wire arrangement (only 6... I CAN tell you that I had had each pot lug only connected to one wire each, of the stereo plug.)
I think I will try the VM19L circuit (Thank You Xem!) which I found at http://www.bespeco.it/catalogo/detail.php?mac=6&macro=ELECTRONICS&cat=116&categoria=Volume%20Pedals&dettaglio=VM19L&det=2929&lingua=en

NOTE: The VM19L circuit uses a MONO plug, according to this schematic... I suppose this may have been the cause of my problems using all 3 lugs / stereo plug ?

Good luck, Happy experimenting, and please report your success ! :)

FP02 Pedal

@ Robert Gehrman
Hi Robert,
Just saw your post! Congrats! Have been looking for just this and will do it today if I get one bit of info. I have the stereo plug and both the and 1K linear pots.

Just tell me which wires go between the 3 pot lugs and the sleeve, ring and tip of the stereo plug. I just don't want to experiment!!!!

Thanks so much,

Regards, Erich.

lol minor correction... Last time, i swear X-D

I'm so excited that I'm going slightly looney-- It *almost* hits a full octave of bend on whammy duty. Its range is exactly 11 steps out of 12. Still that's fine with me! I'm so stoked!!! Enjoy !

OOPS-- Here it is.

I wasn't aware of the fact the Crybaby doesn't turn the pots full rotation. The 100k linear pot from radio shack (not the stock pot which is an audio taper i think), works like a charm and is installed and very playable!!! :) It gets a full octave of play on the whammy effect. Jackpot !

Also...

In case anyone didn't know. A B-taper is linear taper. If that's Greek to you then just google potentiometer tapers. Or just look for a linear or b taper pot on your suppliers website. Mine is just a cheap one from radio shack. the threading is too skinny to fit the mount in my Crybaby but it fits perfectly with an extra nut on it, so if you try this buy 2 and use the washer to clamp it down... The only thing left to do is grind a flat on the shaft, to fit the plastic gear from the stock crybaby 100k, onto it.

i figured it out. :)

A 50k B-taper pot hooked to a stereo plug works perfectly ! At least with the Zoom G3 it does. Now to mount the pot into my gutted Crybaby pedal :))) Zoom wants 70 bux for a hunk of plastic and a potentiometer??! They're insane!!! So glad i know how to solder. Enjoy !

Ps--- I first tried a 100k and it didn't work well at all; the entire effect range was condensed into a small fraction of its sweep. A 20k worked ok although it ran a tad short of full range. The 50K works absolutely perfect.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.