repairing a separating fretboard.

Posted by Doug on Thu, 03/08/01 - 22:50:32.
In Reply to Travis Bean

Hey does anyone know how the aluminum plate beneath the fretboard was adhered to the aluminum of the neck? Mine has separated at the nut and continues for about 3 inches towards the body. Nobody seems to know how to fix it, I'm thinking of peeling the whole thing off and epoxying the whole thing back together. Any better ideas?- thanks doug.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: repairing a separating fretboard.

I encountered the same problem and decided to try removing the entire finger board. Nasty business. It came off farely well untill about 2/3 down towards the pickups, then it stuck like heck. Unfortunately a chunk got left behind on the aluminum. I suggest lifting it from both ends if possible, although you may find it impossible to get under the end that hasn't already lifted away on its own. Also note that after removal, the board will curl up like fried bacon. Put lots of weight on it until you re-attach it. Good luck! As an alternative, try injecting an epoxy under the board with a syringe and then clamping everything down.
I would try this before I tried removing the whole thing.
Please note, I'm not an expert or a guitar repair guy. I'm only telling you what I tried. Don't take this as professional advice!

: Hey does anyone know how the aluminum plate beneath the fretboard was adhered to the aluminum of the neck? Mine has separated at the nut and continues for about 3 inches towards the body. Nobody seems to know how to fix it, I'm thinking of peeling the whole thing off and epoxying the whole thing back together. Any better ideas?- thanks doug.

: : Hey does anyone know how the aluminum plate beneath the fretboard was adhered to the aluminum of the neck? Mine has separated at the nut and continues for about 3 inches towards the body. Nobody seems to know how to fix it, I'm thinking of peeling the whole thing off and epoxying the whole thing back together. Any better ideas?- thanks doug.

Sorry about the mis-post. Alembic knows the most about wood and glue when it comes to guitars and basses

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.