Re: Mountain Guitars

Advertisement
Posted by James MacDonald on Wed, 01/03/07 - 02:00:22.

: I have a mountain guitar which I found in a second hand shop in England around 1984. So far it has the best sound of any steel string acoustic guitar I have heard (including Taylor's) - with the exception of a make called a Jamboree. No one seems to know anything about Mountain guitars - mine says established 1948 on the head so it seems like an actual company. Would love to know more as well.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Mointain Guitar

About 3 or 4 years ago, a cousin who is a frequent traveler from japan brought back with him an old looking acoustic guitar. He called me up and told me that he is going to give me a guitar made in Japan. I thought that its a brand new guitar. But i was almost dismayed because he is giving me and old guitar which looked so wasted. I cleaned it up and bought new sets of strings.

I was surprised when i heard the sound. Loud from afar and just loud enough for the player. The engraving says: CFMOUNTAINE - EST.1949

CF Mountain Model: W400D

My specific CF Mountain acoustic guitar is a beautiful example of the fabulous "copy" of the CF Martin D35-D45 model. Actually I bought my "Mountain" at Jim's Guitar Shop in San Diego, CA. It had the best sound of all the displayed guitars (and there were many) in the entire store...strong mellow and very pleasing. I've kept it all these years since the mid-1980's even though I never took to learning all that well. It's one of my "investments" which will not lose value...but gain in appreciation in value and quality. Made in Japan as I recall to compete with CF Martin (overpriced) but very good guitars. I've even compared mine to comparable ones at the Breedlove factory in Bend, OR and I'd rather have my CF Mountain...by far.

Mountain guitars

Winston - I found your post purely by accident after I googled 'Mountain Guitars' just for kicks. I have a six string accoustic I also bought at Jim's House of Guitars in San Diego (still havea couple business cards in the case) in June of '86. As it was a gift I couldn't bear to part with it, but like you, I haven't really learned to play it. I've had a few other people play it a bit, and like you said, the sound is incredible. Inside on the paper tag it says 'M 37', so I'm assuming that's a model number. Since it is cased all the time it's in pristine condition. I keep promising myself I'll learn to play it, but then the ADHD kicks in. Tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow....

Mountain Guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Mountain Guitars

it seems hard to find info on mountain guitars. mine was bought by my father in brisbane australia in 72 and was traded for a clean swap of a 64 fender tele. man id swap that guitar for this mountain any day. she has a 3 peice rosewood back mahogany neck and mother of pearl inlays everywhere even around the bindings. an exceptional instrument and plays to this day like a dream. like others have said only getting better with age. i had an offer from a luthier for $8000 a few years ago but quickly turned it down as it is apart of me witch i will pass on to my son... i know that the japanese instruments pre1990 were made just as good or better than usa guitars of the same era. would love to know the history of these guitars. apparently they are rare as rocking horse shit.

Mountain Guitar

Ho Dan, im responding to your post on your Mountain guitar. I have a beautiful M39 with Vine MOP inlay and it sounds amazing! Did you say a luthier offered you $8,000 for yours? Im trying to find the value range on the M39. Anyone who can help me please feel free to call me at 714-989-9863.
-Austin

Mountain's W-120

I have just purchased the Mountain's w-120 guitar off Craigslist. Mine also has the "Est 1948" logo on the handle. The label inside says made in Japan and that it is a w-120 model. Not sure what these are really worth these days but I got mine for $100.

i have a mountain guitar also and i'd love to find more out about it my grandpa found it in an apartment when i was 12 or 13 at the time and i was in need of a guitar so he gave it to me. ive been thinking about selling the thing because it's an old guitar and i'd like an up to date one but after googling it , it seems that this kind of guitar is well.. rare in a way this is the on;y thing i could find on mountain guitars. but im not sure if its the same. at the head of my guitar it says MountainE. so if anyone has any information on this please email me. brit-rox@hotmail.com

Mountain Guitars

: : I have a mountain guitar which I found in a second hand shop in England around 1984. So far it has the best sound of any steel string acoustic guitar I have heard (including Taylor's) - with the exception of a make called a Jamboree. No one seems to know anything about Mountain guitars - mine says established 1948 on the head so it seems like an actual company. Would love to know more as well.

: : : I have a mountain guitar which I found in a second hand shop in England around 1984. So far it has the best sound of any steel string acoustic guitar I have heard (including Taylor's) - with the exception of a make called a Jamboree. No one seems to know anything about Mountain guitars - mine says established 1948 on the head so it seems like an actual company. Would love to know more as well.

ahhh yes .. I also have a mountain guitar which I bought in a music shop in Bournemouth/England (model W120) around 1985/86 it cost about 30 pounds, I was 19 years old,she has been within arms reach ever since,thats more than half of my life! she was kept as "bond" by my then landlord on many occasion when I was broke :))) I could never part from such a loyal companion regardless how much she is worth or how much somebody would offer me, new strings last week and a general clean up ...she sounds better every year !

Mountain Guitars

: : I have a mountain guitar which I found in a second hand shop in England around 1984. So far it has the best sound of any steel string acoustic guitar I have heard (including Taylor's) - with the exception of a make called a Jamboree. No one seems to know anything about Mountain guitars - mine says established 1948 on the head so it seems like an actual company. Would love to know more as well.

Mountain Guitars

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.