Yamaha S-50A acoustic guitar

Posted by Earl_stuq on Tue, 12/17/02 - 03:10:15.
In Reply to Yamaha

can anyone tell me approx what year it was made, and the approx. value for one in mint condition? also don't u wish yamaha would get off their asses and make a list for us, so that we didn't need to post all these messages?

Related News:
Yamaha is a runner-up in our Acoustic Guitars Under $1000 roundup!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

guitar yamaha s-50A

Hi, I have a legacy to a yamaha s'50 guitar and I'm learning to play the acoustic, electric and Spanish guitars and I wonder what kind and what qualities has the yamaha s-50 A guitar, thank you very much and greetings.

Re: Yamaha S-50A acoustic guitar

I have the above guitar and want to sell it, its second hand? How much can I sell it for?

I got a yamaha S-50A accoustic in exchange for a $10 black & white polaroid camera in the early 1970's. It's seen better days, but I still play it most every day, and just love the feel of it. I use steel strings, and I prefer practising on it rather than my other 2 guitars, a 1961 Model 6120 Gretsch, and a 1973 semi-accoustic Fender Telecaster.
Ray

Cool bartering! Just shaved to saddle on mine to drop the action. I'm just a beginner, but all I read, the strings were too high off the neck. Were these guitars mad with that condition, cause it doesn't look like the neck is bent that much, maybe a slight warp, but looks like the bridge was always high...any comments...no truss rod I can see.
Just put folk steel strings on it.....sounds real deep, and resonates until i return from the can.

Sven, I have had one for years now, I am pretty sure you should have metal strings on that. Try Thomastik extra lite strings, sound is very nice.

Just got a S-50A as a 2nd guitar for 100 bucks cdn. came with nylon strings, sounds a bit plunky. There's a bit of a hook in the neck. Did these get made with truss rods. I'm afraid if I install steel strings it will get worse? Also is there a quick way to lower the saddle on the bridge to get lower action?

The Yamaha S50A is a Steel string folk guitar which is often mistaken for a classical guitar, putting nylon strings on it is a big mistake, it was not made in 1961 as someone on here claimed by it's serial number, it was infact made between 1969 and 1972 as Yamaha didn't start making guitars with the tuning fork logo on the head stock until mid '69. This model is quite rare, I have one here and the sound.."magic" For a mint condition one you shouldn't accept less than $600 US, for a rough one you should still be asking atleast 250 bucks as age only makes these guitars sound better no matter how rough they might look. I also agree with someone else's comment on here that Yamaha do need to get off thier asses and make us a list as everything currently available is useless. Hope this was of some help, thanks- Wade

Where is the evidence that the S 50 A is a steel string guitar? Yes it has steel posts and a narrowish neck but look at the bridge and tell me how that is built to accomodate steel strings? In the absence of hard evidence as opposed to hearsay I wouldn't put steels on these great old girls - not unless you want a two piece unit.

: The Yamaha S50A is a Steel string folk guitar which is often mistaken for a classical guitar, putting nylon strings on it is a big mistake, it was not made in 1961 as someone on here claimed by it's serial number, it was infact made between 1969 and 1972 as Yamaha didn't start making guitars with the tuning fork logo on the head stock until mid '69. This model is quite rare, I have one here and the sound.."magic" For a mint condition one you shouldn't accept less than $600 US, for a rough one you should still be asking atleast 250 bucks as age only makes these guitars sound better no matter how rough they might look. I also agree with someone else's comment on here that Yamaha do need to get off thier asses and make us a list as everything currently available is useless. Hope this was of some help, thanks- Wade

hey I have a Yamaha S-50A its in mint almost mint condition I got it from my great grandma. Ps I think its a nylon string.

: Where is the evidence that the S 50 A is a steel string guitar? Yes it has steel posts and a narrowish neck but look at the saddle /bridge and tell me how that is built to accomodate steel strings? In the absence of hard evidence as opposed to hearsay I wouldn't put steels on these great old girls - not unless you want a two piece unit.

:
: : The Yamaha S50A is a Steel string folk guitar which is often mistaken for a classical guitar, putting nylon strings on it is a big mistake, it was not made in 1961 as someone on here claimed by it's serial number, it was infact made between 1969 and 1972 as Yamaha didn't start making guitars with the tuning fork logo on the head stock until mid '69. This model is quite rare, I have one here and the sound.."magic" For a mint condition one you shouldn't accept less than $600 US, for a rough one you should still be asking atleast 250 bucks as age only makes these guitars sound better no matter how rough they might look. I also agree with someone else's comment on here that Yamaha do need to get off thier asses and make us a list as everything currently available is useless. Hope this was of some help, thanks- Wade

Related Article:
See where Yamaha came in our list of the best Silent Gutiars

yamaha s-50a bridge saddle specs

hi I have my dads old Yamaha s-50a and it needed a new saddle, so I bought one for it but I need to bring it up to spec. any idea of the dimensions?

Yamaha S50A

I cannot add any technical wisdom here, but I bought my Yamaha S50A in early 1971 from The Bay in Vancouver, for $40. I always felt like I had gotten a bargain, since the feel, looks and sound were excellent. It had steel strings, and over the years (44 of them), I have alternated steel and nylon, with no ill effects.

Yamaha S-50A

Excellent feedback! I was thinking of putting back steel strings or silk/steel strings, because the nylon sounds too warm for me. I got the guitar with steel strings on it originally. With the steel, it just rings better. I have to try the silk/ steel though because the regular steel strings are hard on my fingers.

Yamaha acoustic S-50 A

Update: because it's so hard to play, I took it to our local guitar shop and asked for advice. We looked at the bracing and decided that the strings should be nylon just to lower the stress on the guitar. We put in D'Addario nylons with ball ends. It is way easier to play but the tone as expected is warmer.

Yamaha acoustic S-50 A

Update: because it's so hard to play, I took it to our local guitar shop and asked for advice. We looked at the bracing and decided that the strings should be nylon just to lower the stress on the guitar. We put in D'Addario nylons with ball ends. It is way easier to play but the tone as expected is warmer.

Yamaha S-50A

I have one for sale in pretty decent shape. Some buckle rash on the back and a \couple of very minor dings but man, it rings like a bell. I'll take the best offer, buyer pays shipping

Sale of your Yamaha S50A

Curious to know if you sold it, and how much you got. I have one, no immediate plans to sell, but maybe down the road.....
Thanks...
Brian

Yamaha acoustic guitar S-50 A

I have this guitar. I just bought it from a musician who said that it had steel strings ever since he bought it new in the 70's. I doubted this, but then saw that the string posts are steel, not plastic. Also, I saw a First Act guitar that had string through bridge like the Yamaha S-50 A, so I went ahead and bought a new set of strings, light gauge, and changed the old steel strings also to steel. Well, bronze wound. I think the bridge can take the stress because the strings press down on it, not pulling it towards the head. My only complaint is that the guitar is a bit hard to play due to high action. The neck is also narrow like a folk guitar and I measured it, compared it to my Fender Sonoran. It is only Slightly wider. So the Yamaha S-50 is like a slotted head Martin. Mine is in standard tuning.

Yamaha S-50a Classical

I just picked up a Yamaha S-50a Nippon Gakki acoustic on Kijiji in Canada for $50. I believe its a 1974 year model according to the serial number 1574028, however I'm not really sure even of that.. My question does this guitar take steel or nylon strings..My luthier says its bridge would not hold the tension of light/medium steel strings and the bridge would pull off..Its in rough shape but the wood's are beautiful and couple of small crack on the headstock but very doable and playable at the moment with nylon strings on it.. .Can anyone help clear up the confussion in this matter? I would to put on Steel Medium's if I can? It looks amazing...Cheers

yamaha s-50 Classical guitar

I have a yamaha S-50 Classical guitar, in good shape, so can anyone tell me what strings do i use with this model, thanks

Yamaha S50A

I have an S50A that I bought new around 1971/2. It definitely had steel strings from the day it was new. One of the reasons I chose it was because it was a steel strung guitar and I harboured ambitions to emulate my guitar heroes so I thought it was better to buy steel strung from the start.
I never did get the hang of anything more than a few chords so it has spent more time stuck in dusty corners than it has being played.
It has collected a few dings over the years but would appreciate an idea of value if anyone can help.

...contradictions?

Hey, you've said in two different paragraphs something completely different - in the first, you said don't put steel strings on, and in the second, you said don't put nylon strings on!!! WHICH DO YOU MEAN!? x

Yamaha S-50A Steel or Nylon

Recently aquired a S-50A, bit of a barn find. A gent picked it out of a yard sale... fixed the action as it was almost unplayable. Then passed it onto me. The Bridge/Saddle shows no signs of it ever being a nylon strung guitar. No pro here but wear is where the strings go...

Has a sticker on the back of the head reads: "The High Note" Oakville Ont.

Was surprised at it age and lack of wear. For a forty year old no mint it does have a few minor dings... most you wouldn't see of the first pass. But she plays strong and if it is her second time round she has aged well. (makes me sound better ;)

Hi,
I just got a nice S50A , too - has nylon strings on it.. Does anyone know, what Timber is used here?
Cheers
Sven

: can anyone tell me approx what year it was made, and the approx. value for one in mint condition? also don't u wish yamaha would get off their asses and make a list for us, so that we didn't need to post all these messages?

: : can anyone tell me approx what year it was made, and the approx. value for one in mint condition? also don't u wish yamaha would get off their asses and make a list for us, so that we didn't need to post all these messages?

I have one sitting next to me. Serial #1131980. I believe it was made in 1961. Parsing the Serial number shows it was made on Jan. 31st of '61 and it was the 980th unit made that month. There's one in Vancouver selling for $175.00, but I think that price is too low if it's in good condition. I wouldn't take $175. for mine. I also have an S-77 that's really nice.

yamaha s-50 age

My dad bought my s-50 when he was in Viet Nam in '66. the serial # is 20408217. It does have the tuning fork logo, and I always remember it having nylon strings. i know he didnt know how to change strings. There is a chance the serial # could be 204082 ' 1. Its a bit hard to read at the end.

s-50a is meant to be a classical[but you can string w/ steel but I'd recommend taking it down half or whole step to relieve neck tension-you can always use a capo to bring it up to standard tuning-if anyone runs on an fg180 red label nippon gakki yamaha in anything but irretrievable condition, plz let me know.-bought one in Panama[central america] in '72- my b###h exwife broke it over a chair[and I didn't kill her or her dawg!! Seriously-great instrument on a par w/ Gibsons of the time-Thanks

Hi folks...I was really happy to find this forum.

Last winter I too bought an S-50A Yamaha in Canada at a flea Market for $70. Great shape. It had metal strings but I put nylon strings on it as (from thsi forum) I learned it would have originally had.

Searching the web I also found this posting by a fellow on another web site:

Aug 26 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #1

"Hey all, just a quick note to brag a little, and to ask a few questions! Yesterday I bought a Yamaha S-50A classical guitar. The japanese Nippon Gakki model. Here's where the braggin comes in: I bought it at an old surplus store for 60$ canadian (maybe 40-45 U.S) Its in great shape. I called a vintage guitar store, and the guy said without looking at it...he'd give me $400-600 Cdn. 400-500 U.S)
Obviously im keeping it! I put new strings on and cleaned it up and it plays incredible. Now here's where the questions come in. The guy told me that those particular guitars were not made after late 70's or very early 80's. My question is, can anyone tell me any distinct features on my particular model that might help me to determine the exact year it was made???? or what the production run for this model was 40's though 80's??

When all is said and done this is my 3rd guitar, and the second that ive just stumbled upon! One i bought to learn on, one i found in a thrift store (handmade) and this one. now i have 3 on my wall and my g/f is started to give me the crooked eye about having too many....

If anyone had any deals like this...and im sure im not alone....lets hear'em"

Peace,
dawud

By the way, where did you get to see the serial number? When I look inside, between the strings, I can see a sticker with Yamaha S-50A, Nippon Gakki Co on it, but no serial number.

I paid mine $20.00 in a flea market.. It was clean but needed some tuning. Got mine repaired and it sounds nice. The repair guy did put all metal strings on it. Is it right?

Sylvain

I've got one S-50A too

I believe they were a run of guitars made in the late 60's thru to early 70's. I havent an idea of what one in mint condition is worth HOWEVER if you contact a reputable music store someone there may be able to look it over and appraise it for you or recommend somebody who can.

Hi,
I have a yamaha I bought second-hand in January 1973 for £50. It's got a beautiful tone and is strung nylon. I have other guitars from the 70's also.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.