Info on Yamaha CJ818-SB desired

Posted by Dan Hillsman on Sun, 12/22/02 - 10:33:40.
In Reply to Yamaha

My sister bought a CJ818-SB for me from a pawn shop in 1985. At that time the rosewood fretboard showed a lot of wear. Over the years I have been very curious what year it was produced, materials of construction, and value. Information is hard to find. I have a lot of guitars, but this one is really sweet, and the one I gravitate to for playing at home.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Info on Yamaha CJ818-SB desired

I got my CJ-818 at a pawn shop in 1988 for $100. I go through periods of curiosity myself but, in the end, I think it is actually kinda cool that this is a "mystery" guitar. All that really matters is the sound, and mine sounds like a choir.

does anybody know what the sb stands for and what the diffrence is between the cj-818 and the cj-818sb?

: does anybody know what the sb stands for and what the diffrence is between the cj-818 and the cj-818sb?

SB = SunBurst

Like most of the posters here, I received my CJ818 Jumbo in 1979. My father bought it for me for my 18th birthday and I distinctly recall the day we picked it out, it cost $185. It is a great, bassy sounding guitar. A little tough for smaller fingers and the neck is somewhat oversized. I don't get to play it as much as I'd like, but the memories attached to it are priceless. I wouldn't sell it for $200, but I definitely would buy one for that price. I came here looking for a little more info too, just curious. Originally purchased in Flemington, NJ.

I have a Yamaha CJ-818 and it is a lovely guitar to play. It has a really sweet sound to it, though can be quite bassy. I am looking for more info, such as year it was made etc, so let me know if you find any.

Re: Info on Yamaha CJ818 desired

if you do find out anything let me know
I,ve had mine about 3 years
have even emailed yamaha but as yet have had no response

I have had my CJ-818 Jumbo for many years. I just went to the Guitar Store two weeks ago to get an estimate on re-selling it. They said it is only worth $200 & they'd only pay $90. It didn't seem worth selling. I thought it'd be worth more?

My husband also has a Yamaha CJ818-SB. We have not been able to find out any info on it. He did purchase it around 1982 brand new and was told there were not many in the country (new Zealand)

Would like to know more about the yamaha CJ818 I have researched and can find out nothing. Looking to purchase one and wanted to know the value. Would appreciate any info. Thanks!

I also have a Yamaha cj-818 guitar. I bought this new I think around 1979ish.
I've tried on many occasions to find details about it, but can't. Yamaha seem to have written it out of their history, or so it would seem.

I bought mine in 1979 in a store called Rocking Robin In Houston,TX.
I have played the heck out of mine and it seems it gets better with time. I also like to find out more about the history of this model. All I have found so far is that Dave Mathews and his band has one the in their list of instruments used for their show but I have never seen Dave himself playing it. Any other info on it would be appreciated

I bought mine new in about 1985. She's been a great guitar. I still play the heck out of her for outdoor summer functions - Bar-b-q's - rafting trips. She's seen some of the most beautiful and treacherous rivers on the continent with me. She still plays well, and sounds better as the years wear on. Little to no info on the net about it I've found...

: I bought mine new in about 1985. She's been a great guitar. I still play the heck out of her for outdoor summer functions - Bar-b-q's - rafting trips. She's seen some of the most beautiful and treacherous rivers on the continent with me. She still plays well, and sounds better as the years wear on. Little to no info on the net about it I've found...

I found this on Yamahas website after some digging..the cj818 was produced from 1979 to 1981..From the serial #'s i think mine was made in 1981. No value as a collector but everyone that has one swears by them..msrp was 275 bucks new..Hope this helps..ciao

: I bought mine new in about 1985. She's been a great guitar. I still play the heck out of her for outdoor summer functions - Bar-b-q's - rafting trips. She's seen some of the most beautiful and treacherous rivers on the continent with me. She still plays well, and sounds better as the years wear on. Little to no info on the net about it I've found...

: The CJ 818SB ( SB = SunBurst) has an Indian rosewood fingerboard and bridge, mahogany neck back and sides with a solid spruce top.I managed to get this info from the Yamaha web site.I think they stopped making them in about 1986.

Check out the 1972 CJ 818 on ebay, item #2510113424 which expires 28 Feb 2003. The seller wants $550 and gives a good description of the instrument.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.