Yamaha g-90a classical

Posted by Eric Yetter on Fri, 06/20/03 - 08:45:30.
In Reply to Yamaha

I found a Yamaha G-90a classical guitar in an attic that I was cleaning out and I've been lookingn for information on it. I have no idea how old it is, but I do know that there is little or no information about it on the internet. Does anyone know anything about this model?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Those old Yammy classical

Those old Yammy classical gitboxes make great bass conversions. I got an 80s Eterna EC-10 classical that I converted into a six string bass. I installed a Fishman pickup and play it through an old Ampeg 1X15 bass amp. Yep, it'll rattle every window in my house when I pluck that baby;)

Re: Yamaha g-90a classical

Who want this guitar for $700??? Are you crazy? I'll give you 80% off. This Yamaha is Dead bottom of the list gutar, There are 3 more below that but. Made in Taiwan and Yamaha made this guitar from 1974~75 .
They sold for 9000yen list that was $30 those days.

Just bought #50119085 in a thrift store in Oregon, USA for $25.00 Seems like I got a bargain, plays fairly well. Also have an FG230 twelve string and a Dynamic #40. Anybody know anything about the Dynamic?
Shame on you David for making fun of Japanese boy. How well do you speak the Japanese language much less write and read it. Best!!

i red on the internet that it was made in 1974, i have the same guitar and it plays nice.

: I found a Yamaha G-90a classical guitar in an attic that I was cleaning out and I've been lookingn for information on it. I have no idea how old it is, but I do know that there is little or no information about it on the internet. Does anyone know anything about this model?

: I found a Yamaha G-90a classical guitar in an attic that I was cleaning out and I've been lookingn for information on it. I have no idea how old it is, but I do know that there is little or no information about it on the internet. Does anyone know anything about this model?

I purchased my Yamaha G-90A in the Summer of 1969 or 1970. It's label also shows that it was made in Taiwan but it does NOT have a serial number. It may be one of the earlier ones, before they began adding the SN. It has a very rich tone and I still love the guitar. My only complaint about it has been the action; the strings are a little too high off the fretboard. I paid $100 for the guitar at the time and it included a hard, padded case. This case is probably responsible for its being in almost new condition still!

I you can crab one for less then approx. U$ 700 do it!
For that money you can,t find better!

I bought a Yamaha G-90A in the 70’s. The label inside says that it was made in Taiwan, Republic of China. It bears the number 0605148. I still have it and it still plays very good. Would anyone be able to tell me the date it was made?

Thanks
Jean-Denis

I've just found mine too. It was bought on the advice of my guitar teacher from a music shop in Manchester (England) in the mid 1970s. He reckoned they were very good, and it was certainly far superior to my earlier guitars - cheap ones bought on holiday in Spain. I'm not very musical (despite having learned guitar for years!) and wouldn't really know how to judge its quality these days. I remember it being a generous gift from my parents but have no idea what they actually paid for it. I'm thinking of getting some new strings, asking a musical neighbour to help me tune it and seeing if I can play anything!

I also have a G90-A and was looking for info on it.
Bought in 1975 or 1976 I think, paid $ 80 canadian for it.
Does anybody know what the 'A' stands for in G90-A ?
I once found a yamaha G90 on the internet but no G90-A so I was wondering what the A stood for.
Mine now has a warped neck and therefore doesnt sound good anymore.
I'm not sure if its worth getting fixed, I dont think its all real wood construction, doesn anybody know?

: I also have a G90-A and was looking for info on it.
: Bought in 1975 or 1976 I think, paid $ 80 canadian for it.
: Does anybody know what the 'A' stands for in G90-A ?
: I once found a yamaha G90 on the internet but no G90-A so I was wondering what the A stood for.
: Mine now has a warped neck and therefore doesnt sound good anymore.
: I'm not sure if its worth getting fixed, I dont think its all real wood construction, doesn anybody know?

Today it's worth approx. U$ 600.
Look at Ebay what they asked for!

correction should have read

51007617 which indicates it was number 617 made 1975 Oct 7

I'm currently looking at one to buy. It seems to have good tone. The owner does not know it's value and is asking me for an offer. G-90A. This has some numbers inside the guitar where the neck and body connect and on the bottom of the neck stock. Long numbers. 40425651. I'm thinking of offering her $ 50.00 but I don't want to rob her. Anyone with any assistance would be greatly appreciated......

: correction should have read

: 51007617 which indicates it was number 617 made 1975 Oct 7

:

I have found out that the serial numbers for Yamaha guitars get recycled every 10 years
the 1st digit is the year so if its a 5 and made in the 70's the year would be 1975
the next 2 digits are the month and the 2 after that are the day
and the last digits are the sequential serial number

51007617 which indicates it was number 617 made 1975 Oct 10th

The A in G90-A just means a slight modification of the original G-90

And no solid wood was used in the model, so its not worth getting my warped neck replaced [time to buy a new one :) ]

The Yamaha people are excellent at responding to any questions e-mail to them
for Canada the address was guitar@yamaha.ca

Hopes this helps someone.

Related Gear:
See where Yamaha came in our Silent Guitar Roundup

yes thanks for the email adress
Mine was built in 1974 on june 28th and is guitar # 255.
I sent them an email to find out if it was worth anything.
Thanks for the info again ;o)

A.B.
Ontario, Canada

Hello i am chris from germany i have the same model
and i can only say to you that it is build anywere from 1970 till 1975. more i don t know i am looking for informations at this moment too :-) !

How do you do. I bore and grew up in Japan. I yielded YAMAHA-G90A from the father before. It is a thing at the time of YAMAHA having made the best guitar. Although the price of those days was not a large sum thing, it is a very worthy guitar. By all means, please prize.

Yamaha g90A classical

Last post here was from 2005 so this is a really late post :)
I have a G-90A that I've had since it was new but after several moves got stuck in a closet. Now in Florida, i've pulled it out and going to have it restrung.
There are two numbers in it. One inside at the front and one inside at the base of the neck right near the opening.
One is 7 numbers and one is 8 numbers. The one at the opening matches what everyone has mentioned: 40205034. I assume that is Feb 5, 1974 number 34. The other number is 0472971. Can't break down that number.

Any new information anyone can provide.

Yamaha G-90A

Yamaha G-90A. I acquired one the other day and I was wondering about it too. Now I know.
It didn't matter about the translation, just as long I understood what was being said. Have you tried translating some vehicle license plates or tagged walls?

Yamaha g-90a classical

Love the translation. Perhaps it should read. 'I was born and grew up in Japan. I obtained (got) the G90a from my grandfather. At the time yamaha were making the best guitars. Although it was not too expensive it is an excellent guitar (worthy is good). By all means look after (prize)this superb guitar.' or was he right the first time? Well I may buy one.

I too have a Yamaha g-90a classical and have no idea what it's worth. It seems to have perfect intonation.

I bought a Yamaha G-85A in 1971 for $225 Its a nice guitar for a basic model. It was new in a music shop.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.