Yamaha SG-30

Posted by Peter Forsey on Mon, 08/02/04 - 00:50:13.
In Reply to Yamaha

I have a thirty year SG-30 which still plays very nicely. Does anyone have have any info on this guitar? The Yamaha Serial Number Database comes up blank. Serial no is 23759.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Yamaha SG-30

: I have a thirty year SG-30 which still plays very nicely. Does anyone have have any info on this guitar? The Yamaha Serial Number Database comes up blank. Serial no is 23759.

My 30 year old SG-30 has two sets of dimarzio powered humbuckers, one standard the other, the bridge pick-up a twin pair of horizontal metalic singles wound together. The work is signed inside and dated (1978) for the upgrade I believe this is very advanced for it's time.

You can imagine the work on this - fitting two more pairs of toggles to split the pick-ups and power them up, as well as the 3-way Neck/Combo/bridge selector. Complete this with a set of "Patent pending" length adjustable Ibanez Machine heads and I think I might have something a bit special.

Any help guys would be handy.
Cooper

: I have a thirty year SG-30 which still plays very nicely. Does anyone have have any info on this guitar? The Yamaha Serial Number Database comes up blank. Serial no is 23759.

My 30 year old SG-30 has two sets of dimarzio powered humbuckers, one standard the other, the bridge pick-up a twin pair of horizontal metalic singles wound together. The work is signed inside and dated (1978) for the upgrade I believe this is very advanced for it's time.

You can imagine the work on this - fitting two more pairs of toggles to split the pick-ups and power them up, as well as the 3-way Neck/Combo/bridge selector. Complete this with a set of "Patent pending" length adjustable Ibanez Machine heads and I think I might have something a bit special.

Any help guys would be handy.
Cooper

A Yamaha SG-30 has just come up for sale on ebay. also there is one on the web site given below. http://onkoudou.hippy.jp/ITEM/guitar/yamaha-sg30/YAMAHA-SG-30.html They were made around 1973 and were one of the first of Yamaha's SGs

: A Yamaha SG-30 has just come up for sale on ebay. also there is one on the web site given below. onkoudou.hippy.jp/ITEM/guitar/yamaha-sg30/YAMAHA-SG-30.html They were made around 1973 and were one of the first of Yamaha's SGs

:I have found Japanese web sight about Yamaha SG-30 Guitars:but only said in Japanese language .
They says These guitars was begun to sold Dec ´73 and ended end of ´74... so only one year have been sold ... very rare guitar indeed. They do not mentioned about serial number but if you check pickups there are Japanese showa era years on it...!I have one SG-30 myself and says 49.5.2(year Shouwa 49=1974 )2nd of May. and also SG-30 on it too! my guitars serial number is 28948... your guitar could be start with 48.?.? this means made year 1973.
They made body with laminated Katsura wood (Japanese Judas Tree),neck with mahogany and rosewood fingerbord. two colors was offered Natural and Cherry Red and weight 2.8kg. I was checking my SG-30´s pickups today... they measured Neck and Bridge are very same and little over 16K ohms.
I hope helps...! and here is picture of pickup...!

Related Gear:
Yamaha topped our list of the best Silent Guitar

hi, ive also got an SG 30, had it years, serial number 27751, i notice the post is quite old, just wondered if ya got any info on the guitar. cheers, Tom

: A Yamaha SG-30 has just come up for sale on ebay. also there is one on the web site given below. http://onkoudou.hippy.jp/ITEM/guitar/yamaha-sg30/YAMAHA-SG-30.html They were made around 1973 and were one of the first of Yamaha's SGs

hiya Pete, mate take out one of the pick ups and tell the numbers on the bottom, serial numbers are useless on these old yamy's, i also have one, plus the catalogue with the specs, get in touch and i'll sort all there is to know, cheers....................................murph

: hiya Pete, mate take out one of the pick ups and tell the numbers on the bottom, serial numbers are useless on these old yamy's, i also have one, plus the catalogue with the specs, get in touch and i'll sort all there is to know, cheers....................................murph

Murph, thanks for your posting. The bottom of the pick up just says SG30. This was my first guitar 25 years ago and I'd be very interested to know anything and everything about it. Unfortunately I strippd it down and stained the body a kind of rosewood soon after I bought it. If youv'e got any info please email me on peter@pjforsey.freeserve.co.uk
Cheers Peter

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.