Re: Yamaha FG2000 (and FG2500)

Posted by Very Happy on Fri, 08/27/04 - 04:31:53.
In Reply to Yamaha : Yamaha FG2000

FG 2000s and 2500s are “guitarists guitars”. They do not have a popular "name" and most musicians have never heard of them. Over the past year I've seen them for occasionally for sale at $US 1000 to $5500. I've never been able to find out any hard information about the FG2000 and 2500 series.

FG2000: By chance or fate, I was fortunate enough to find 4 FG2000s in Bangkok - brand new in their original cardboard boxes - in 1978 or 79. I bought 3 (the 4th and last one was reserved as first prize in a national guitar contest. All were different in headstock details and tuners; all beautifully made and all different in their sound though playability was constant and excellent. I have played my favourite of the 3 daily and probably have enjoyed some 7 or 8,000 hours of pure bliss over the years.

I have to add that when I found my favourite, it was actually hanging on the wall in the shop. Due to Bangkok humidity the strings were black and knotted with corrosion. Despite that, I recognised it as the finest sounding 6 string I had ever heard. That's still true today. I have 12 excellent guitars but the FG2000 gets 90% of my playing time.

I was silly enough to sell one FG2000 but kept the 3rd in case something happens to my favourite.

FG 2500 (the matching 12 string handmade, Brazilian, etc). Once again, fate or chance found me selecting 3 brand new FG2500s in Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia in 1982. Once again, they were still in original cardboard boxes. Although there were 6 or 7, the music store would only sell me 3 but I got to choose the 3 after playing each one. As with the 2000s, details and tone were unique from one to the next. Later, I paid a friend $300 to trade me his new FG2500 for one of mine because his had an exquisite, rich yet delicate tone. I still have the best and one spare. I sold one with the FG2000 mentioned above.

Now I don't know how much of this is true and I don't even recall who spun the tale but........ I was told at one point that in the early 1960's Yamaha acquired its own stock of Brazilian rosewood, ebony and other rare timber logs then shipped the logs to Japan in anticipation of the shortage of such timbers and of making fine guitars. Supposedly, the FG2000 and FG2500 series were intended to compete in the US with the best that Martin had to offer. However, the guitars were not saleable in the US because Yamaha had flooded the market with cheap guitars and their name could not stand up to Martin no matter how good the Yamahas were. (If you have a good FG2000, you already know that there is no popular Martin which can stand up to the tone, balance and artistry of an FG2000 or 2500 - Its like trying to compare a Bulldozer with the original Toyota 2000GT). In the early 70's, $US500 was a lot of money for any guitar and with a weak brand image, Yamaha didn't have a chance of selling them. Why the guitars sat for so many years in their cardboard cartons is a mystery to me except that outside of the US, few people had the $US 500 entry fee. Its also a mystery to me why they were "dumped" in Bangkok or, of all places, Al Khobar where they sold for their original new price though they were 6 to 10 years old.

Of the 6 I owned and 4 that I still have, the signature on the leather patch is the same. If anyone knows the name of the person who built them and signed them, I'd like to know. I owe that person for enriching my life!

If you have one, enjoy it and please treat it with the love and respect it deserves. If you want one hide one away as a collectors item I have no kind words for you and you do not deserve to own one.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

reply to very happy

I had my son Google the fg 2000 to appreciate the instrument I have. The first post he saw was yours. As he read your story aloud, I realized that my guitar is the one you described as the fourth that was reserved for the national contest winner. My friends entered that contest and won! But how to divide the guitar between them? So I bought it and threw my previous guitar in, which was better than one of theirs, which made it equitable for everyone. How extraordinary to be part of your story. Love this guitar. Everyone who has played it has been enchanted. Now my son knows why I wouldn't let him play with it when he was younger.

Looking to buy a guitar in Al Khobar. Could u plz help...?

i am looking for FG-2000..
will you sell it?..let me know ...........tonykwak1972@yahoo.com is my email~

: i am looking for FG-2000..
: will you sell it?..let me know ...........tonykwak1972@yahoo.com is my email~

Hi i own a 1972 FG-2500 12 string accustic guitar its still in very good condition. whats the value of this guitar... Any1

FG 2000 and FG2500

Hello Tony, I happen to have a Yamaha FG2000 made in 1972. I added a fishman pick up in about 82-85 at Steve's Music in Toronto. Most amazing sounding accoustic you'll find. I would consider letting it go for $4000.00 Canadian.
Your Fg 2500 depending on the condition probably has a value between $2000 and 3000.

Thanks for the info. I bought an FG2500 from a poor university of Calgary (Canada)student for $200 about 20 years ago, and until last week I had no idea it was so valuable. I broke part of the head and had it repaired by a real craftsman here in British Columbia, and when I got it back (with new strings which made it sound 100% better) he told me it was easily worth $5000. He mentioned the rare Brazilian rosewood. I've always loved this guitar and play it often, and now I love it even more!

Re: Yamaha FG1500,or2000

Wantd to buy a Yamaha fg 1500 or 2000.
613-345-2519 Ontario, canada

YAMAHA FG 1500 1974 ACOUSTIC GUITAR W/ HARD CAsE

Hi! are you still interested to buy FG 1500? my father has a YAMAHA FG 1500 1974 ACOUSTIC GUITAR W/ HARD CAsE and he's selling it because he's no longer playing guitar..nobody from us daughter's know how to play it..lolzxx! send me an email if your interested..thanks!

yamaha fg-1500

I would be interested in the fg 1500. How much are you asking?

MARYJANE,

ARE YOU STILL LOOKING FOR A YAMAHA FG - 2000 GUITAR ?????????????

I am the original owner of a 1972 FG - 2000, serial # 637, signed leather patch, guitar. The guitar is in pristine condition, since it was only used on a few record sessions in the early seventies and has spent the majority of its life in its case. My playing is primarily electric and I have other accoustic guitars when needed. If you are still interested and looking for an FG - 2000, contact me,
pictures will be available soon.

Respectfully,

Norman Elder
THE NORM ELDER SHOW

early 1970's Yamaha FG2000 for sale

Rare and amazingly sounding guitar: Great condition, fantastic sound, solid Brazilian Rosewood, excellent orginal condition, original hardcase, leather label with signatures. Have too many high level guitars, no time to play and saving to buy a house :-( so unfortunately have to let good for a good bid.

Yamaha FG-2000

Hello. I am interested in buying the Yamaha FG-2000. Is it still available for sale? Please e-mail me with more details.

Thank you,

- David

Yamaha FG-2000

Hello. I was wondering if you still had the Yamaha Fg-2000 for sale. If so, I am interested. Please e-mail me with details.

Thank you,
- David

YAMAHA FG 1500 GUITAR

HI, IF THE YAMAHA FG 1500 IS STILL FOR SALE I WILL PURCHASE IT TODAY! PLEASE EMAIL ME ASAP

Posted by shielina jaminal on Thu, 08/25/2011 - 06:09.

Hi! are you still interested to buy FG 1500? my father has a YAMAHA FG 1500 1974 ACOUSTIC GUITAR W/ HARD CAsE and he's selling it because he's no longer playing guitar..nobody from us daughter's know how to play it..lolzxx! send me an email if your interested..thanks!

FG-1500
Posted by Sam on Tue, 01/31/2012 - 08:07.
How much are you asking for the Yamaha?

reply:

actually my father is selling it for $700..i dnt know with him if its still negotiable..

Yamaha fg1500 still for sale ??

Hello

I am writing to hear if the Yamaha fg1500 is still for sale - because if it is i am very interested in buying it -

I am ready to offer you 1000 us for it and i paying for the shipping to Denmark aswell.

so if You still have it and want to sell let me know then :D

greatings from Denmark

Jeppe

GUITAR

I am interested, what is asking price

: MARYJANE,

: ARE YOU STILL LOOKING FOR A YAMAHA FG - 2000 GUITAR ?????????????

: I am the original owner of a 1972 FG - 2000, serial # 637, signed leather patch, guitar. The guitar is in pristine condition, since it was only used on a few record sessions in the early seventies and has spent the majority of its life in its case. My playing is primarily electric and I have other accoustic guitars when needed. If you are still interested and looking for an FG - 2000, contact me,
: pictures will be available soon.

: Respectfully,

: Norman Elder
: THE NORM ELDER SHOW

Norm,
Just noticed your post so I'm probably too late!
But if you still have your FG-2000, please let me know. Thanks! Kirk

Yamaha FG 1500

Hi Shielina,

Yes, I am interested, let me know if you still have your fathers FG1500 guitar. Thanks, Dennis

FG-1500

How much are you asking for the Yamaha?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.