FG-500

Posted by Melinda on Thu, 02/24/05 - 11:34:59.
In Reply to Yamaha

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what a Yamaha FG-500 goes for. I found one at a consignment shop for my husband and it is going for $75. Is that a good price? Thanks

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I have an fg500 Red Label. I

I have an fg500 Red Label. I bought it in 1969 in Tokyo. I have had many fine guitars in my day.....but that instrument is special by far! It holds it's own against any other guitar ever made!

It's solid Spruce top with solid one piece rosewood back and sides......both! I believe it is Jacarenda Rosewood. Itcould not be any better if it was made of Brazilian Rosewood!

Re: FG-500

I too have this guitar..and back is solid jacaranda..and side appeared to be laminated..

it goes up to $1900..see if the head stock reads "YAMAHA" or just Yamaha logo..

if it says "YAMAHA" that means it was produced late 60s..
you can get more $ for it...good luck~

: Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what a Yamaha FG-500 goes for. I found one at a consignment shop for my husband and it is going for $75. Is that a good price? Thanks

Melinda - really hope you bought that guitar for your husband! Especialy if the label inside the guitar was red. Depending on condition, the guitar could be worth over $1000.
Regardless of value if it's in good shape - neck straight, no serious damage, it will be the sweetest playing guitar he'll own for a long time.

: : Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what a Yamaha FG-500 goes for. I found one at a consignment shop for my husband and it is going for $75. Is that a good price? Thanks

: Melinda - really hope you bought that guitar for your husband! Especialy if the label inside the guitar was red. Depending on condition, the guitar could be worth over $1000.
: Regardless of value if it's in good shape - neck straight, no serious damage, it will be the sweetest playing guitar he'll own for a long time.

Well I have one I bought in 1968 still have the receipt (Akron,Ohio)..I called Yamaha and they said they never made one and don't have any record of the FG_500 or the FG-550 same guitar (just with more Mother-of-pearl on it)...Days later the guy from Yamaha calls me back...He said he found an-old guy (i hope he was older them me lol) who worked at Yamaha years ago and he said he remembers the guitars being made (hand made) and very few sold..Well my guitar is still in very good condition and it sounds great and alot of sustain...I worked for my dad making .25 cents anhour to buy this guitar I payed $250.00 plus tax with hardshell case that it sits in...So that's my story and I still don't know what it's worth today and Yamaha never made it.. lol

FG500

Yes. Found one. Rare, with original case... been watching for awhile. Another fine old instrument they made is the FG 580, which is the same woods, but later. these were made in Japan and Taiwan..

FG 500

I bought a FG 500 in 1968 in the UK and stripped the varnish off and then french polished it 30 times after taking the soundboard down to about 2mm - dangerous but its and amazing instrument. I have never played a steel string that comes anywhere near it, although I have a fair collection.
I can confirm a luthier who looked at it was sure it was handmade and I find it is really interesting there is such a shroud of mystery surrounding them.
If you can find a good one, snap it up. They are really durable , as well.

I have an FG500 I bought in 2009 second hand for £420. It has a solid spruce top and laminated jacaranda back and sides. The tone is the best of all the guitars I have, improved by an upgraded bone nut (original is plastic). They were the top of the range in the year they were made. Beautifully made, maple and ebony binding and inticate maple/ebony rosette. No plastic binding, all wood. Ebony fingerboard and bridge. Lovely smooth tone. Here is the catalogue http://www.t-shiga.com/sub7-5-1-7.htm original price was 50,000 yen. The later all solid Yamahas like the FG1000J, FG1200J, and especially the FG1500, and FG2000 are the best they made, but to my ear the FG500 is a wonderful instrument.

: : : Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what a Yamaha FG-500 goes for. I found one at a consignment shop for my husband and it is going for $75. Is that a good price? Thanks

: : Melinda - really hope you bought that guitar for your husband! Especialy if the label inside the guitar was red. Depending on condition, the guitar could be worth over $1000.
: : Regardless of value if it's in good shape - neck straight, no serious damage, it will be the sweetest playing guitar he'll own for a long time.

: Well I have one I bought in 1968 still have the receipt (Akron,Ohio)..I called Yamaha and they said they never made one and don't have any record of the FG_500 or the FG-550 same guitar (just with more Mother-of-pearl on it)...Days later the guy from Yamaha calls me back...He said he found an-old guy (i hope he was older them me lol) who worked at Yamaha years ago and he said he remembers the guitars being made (hand made) and very few sold..Well my guitar is still in very good condition and it sounds great and alot of sustain...I worked for my dad making .25 cents anhour to buy this guitar I payed $250.00 plus tax with hardshell case that it sits in...So that's my story and I still don't know what it's worth today and Yamaha never made it.. lol

HI Michael
I just happened to check this old post that my wife put up years ago...I did in fact buy the FG500 and it really is an amazing guitar...and your right no one seems to know they ever existed or what it is.I just had a very well respected tech set it up and do some minor bridge work and he rates this thing higher than a Taylor and equal to a Collings in terms of quality workmanship and sound; it's really quite a guitar....thanks for sharing your info
Rick

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.