Shaftesbury resonator guitar

Posted by Roger Clarke on Wed, 12/31/03 - 05:12:17.

I have a Shaftesbury resonator guitar I bought at an auction a couple of years ago. It is Japanese made copy of a Brazilian Del Vecchio Dinamico, very pretty wood-bodied with round cane vents. It's in working conditon & is now my favourite guitar.
Questions: Does anyone have or know of a simiar instrument? When were they made (1970s, I guess). Are they rare? Any further info on this guitar would be very welcome.

Roger Clarke

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Shaftesbury Resonator

Hi, I had one of these for a while. Bought around 1975/76, in Brighton, Sussex, UK, I think. A nice, pleasant looking and feeling guitar. But way too quiet for a reso. Eventually sold it late 1970s and bought a National O Style: a different beast entirely! Good luck, though. Interesting little guitars from Japan, I'm sure.

Re: Shaftesbury resonator guitar

:I have one that a mate has asked me to sell on e bay. Does anyone know what they are worth now? It,s in very good condition

: I have a Shaftesbury resonator guitar I bought at an auction a couple of years ago. It is Japanese made copy of a Brazilian Del Vecchio Dinamico, very pretty wood-bodied with round cane vents. It's in working conditon & is now my favourite guitar.
: Questions: Does anyone have or know of a simiar instrument? When were they made (1970s, I guess). Are they rare? Any further info on this guitar would be very welcome.

: Roger Clarke

I have Shaftesbury del vecchio, the smaller model which is a 14 fret job. I bought it in 1972 for £40 in Kingston, London, and have never seen another. I play mine sometimes, but have largely migrated to an Amistar syle 'O'. The Shaftesbury has a very light, delicate sound - more C&W than blues.

: : I have a Shaftesbury resonator guitar I bought at an auction a couple of years ago. It is Japanese made copy of a Brazilian Del Vecchio Dinamico, very pretty wood-bodied with round cane vents. It's in working conditon & is now my favourite guitar.
: : Questions: Does anyone have or know of a simiar instrument? When were they made (1970s, I guess). Are they rare? Any further info on this guitar would be very welcome.

: : Roger Clarke

I have one that I bought in Birmingham in 1973 for £60. Mine is a dreadnaught size, but I remember they had a smaller model in the shop at the same time. A friend of mine saw one in the window of a guitar shop in Denmark Streeet a few years ago with a price tag of c. £500 on it.

I would be intrested in any more info.

Phil Ruff

im trying to find out the same thing with a Shaftesbury replica of a rickerbaker, if any one can help.

and to your question i dont know realy when it was made but i know the made them from the 1960's up until the early 80's on eBay i seen a Shaftesbury guitar going for about £350.

I have a Shaftsbury resonator as well. I bought it in a pawn shop in Paris in 1979. I have no info on it. I just never wanted to sell it!

I bought mine in Fremantle, Western Australia, for about AD$400.00. in the late 80's no case and this is the first time I've found anyone else with one. There seems to be very little information about them.Mine is a 12 fret to body which makes it a little awkward for slide style, but it certainly seems a robust creature. I also have a Dobro,a Sigma, and a Johnson and love 'em all [these are all 14 fret to body models].
Wet Fishes
Dick

: I bought mine in Fremantle, Western Australia, for about AD$400.00. in the late 80's no case and this is the first time I've found anyone else with one. There seems to be very little information about them.Mine is a 12 fret to body which makes it a little awkward for slide style, but it certainly seems a robust creature. I also have a Dobro,a Sigma, and a Johnson and love 'em all [these are all 14 fret to body models].
: Wet Fishes
: Dick

Hey Dick
was googling and came across your post. I have a resonator that is missing the headstock. I am not able to find any info on it as I do not have the original name off the headstock. With the guitar came a Sigma pamphlet. What is distinctive about the guitar is the pattern of a thunderbird/pea**** on the coverplate. This guitar has a single coil pickup and a V & T control, bisquit bridge.From your original post I am assuming you have a Sigma brand resonator also. I know this is a long shot. Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I have installed a no name "matching" meck from a destroyed square neck accoustic.
cheers
Gerry

I'm trying to restore one atm,need to find photo's.Real hard finding anything on t'net bout said Guitars

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.