shaftesbury Les Paul

Posted by Chris on Mon, 06/28/04 - 12:29:26.

I have recently brought a second hand Shaftesbury LP copy,serial no. 0154018. It has faded 'gold'finnish components. I have been after one of these for years.
As a teenager in '71 I went to a music shop (Bells guitars if I remember)in a town near Newcastle ,Newton Aycliffe .After trying out various guitars the shop assisant said "try this!!"and handed me a tele-thineline copy, a Shaftesbury model, and spent a while raving over what a great guitar it was.!He was right too.
I heard a band playing around that time, the bass player sported a shaftesbury tele bass copy - good sound also.Ive come across a few ricky copies over the years but the first ive seen of a 2nd hand LP guitar. I also used to have a Shaftesbury guitar cataloge from the early seventies.The guitars were promoted by Geoff Lynne and Roy Wood of the Move with pics of them playing the tele models I think.
Guitar models featured in this cataloge (wish I still had it )were the LP copy,the tele thinline and matching bass copys,also the Ricky 6 string and a matching bass (not a 4001 copy design)and also a plexi-glass model which has been described by several contributors in mail on here. If I remember the price new was around £60-70 then, and around 1973 I saw some models which were priced new around £90,inc a gold top LP model and a sunburst LP model by then.Yeah -great guitars!! cheers all!.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: shaftesbury Les Paul

: I have recently brought a second hand Shaftesbury LP copy,serial no. 0154018. It has faded 'gold'finnish components. I have been after one of these for years.
: As a teenager in '71 I went to a music shop (Bells guitars if I remember)in a town near Newcastle ,Newton Aycliffe .After trying out various guitars the shop assisant said "try this!!"and handed me a tele-thineline copy, a Shaftesbury model, and spent a while raving over what a great guitar it was.!He was right too.
: I heard a band playing around that time, the bass player sported a shaftesbury tele bass copy - good sound also.Ive come across a few ricky copies over the years but the first ive seen of a 2nd hand LP guitar. I also used to have a Shaftesbury guitar cataloge from the early seventies.The guitars were promoted by Geoff Lynne and Roy Wood of the Move with pics of them playing the tele models I think.
: Guitar models featured in this cataloge (wish I still had it )were the LP copy,the tele thinline and matching bass copys,also the Ricky 6 string and a matching bass (not a 4001 copy design)and also a plexi-glass model which has been described by several contributors in mail on here. If I remember the price new was around £60-70 then, and around 1973 I saw some models which were priced new around £90,inc a gold top LP model and a sunburst LP model by then.Yeah -great guitars!! cheers all!.

how much is it worth today?

shaftesbury guitar

I too went to the Bells guitar shop in Newton Aycliffe, in August 1971. Tried out various guitars, the assistant said 'try this!' - a shaftesbury thin-line tele. fantastic guitar, wonderful to play.Came away with a second-hand commendore guitar for £15...

During a recent move I unearthed my Shaftesbury Les Paul.
I've had it from 1976, bought second hand from ABC music when it was in Addlestone. It is stock no:3400, serial no:71665. The gold plating was crap really, but it still plays well, looks good & oh the nostalgia. Would anyone have an idea from the serial number when it might have been manufactured.
Cheers

: i have a black and gold shaftesbury Les Paul that came to me direct via the back door of rose and Morris. i had the choice of the LP or a genuine Fender strat for £30. if only i knew then what i know now. I don't know or care what its worth, i'd never part with it. One day i'll treat it to a proper refurb.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.