Re: Jackson Guldan Accoustic Guitar

Advertisement
Posted by Chuck on Sun, 07/04/04 - 19:07:53.

: I have absolutely no information on the company, but I found a Jackson Guldan Guitar in my Grandma's basement. It is a student-size guitar and it says Chris Adjusto on the top. Does anyone know anything about that?
-----------------------------------------------
My son also has recently acquired a Chris Adjusto. The info I have found is that it was produced by the Jackson-Guldan Violin Company.(Columbus, OH) They were in business from the 1920's through the late 1060's. They produced some guitars in the 50's and early 60's and were distributed by Montgomery Wards. The guitars were machine-crafted and mass produced, (using inexpensive materials) .. so they probably are not very valuable, except perhaps to a collector. My son's guitar still plays well enough though, and the deep tones actually surprised me when playing it.
Jackson-Guldan was a violin company .. and I have seen circa 30's and 40's violins for sale on the web at prices ranging from $100 to $1500 for a Stradivarius copy. I doubt that a Chris Adjusto guitar in good condition would fetch much more than $50-$75. You might want to check the "Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars". The new editions come out every two years or so I think.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

: : I have absolutely no information on the company, but I found a Jackson Guldan Guitar in my Grandma's basement. It is a student-size guitar and it says Chris Adjusto on the top. Does anyone know anything about that?
: -----------------------------------------------
: My son also has recently acquired a Chris Adjusto. The info I have found is that it was produced by the Jackson-Guldan Violin Company.(Columbus, OH) They were in business from the 1920's through the late 1060's. They produced some guitars in the 50's and early 60's and were distributed by Montgomery Wards. The guitars were machine-crafted and mass produced, (using inexpensive materials) .. so they probably are not very valuable, except perhaps to a collector. My son's guitar still plays well enough though, and the deep tones actually surprised me when playing it.
: Jackson-Guldan was a violin company .. and I have seen circa 30's and 40's violins for sale on the web at prices ranging from $100 to $1500 for a Stradivarius copy. I doubt that a Chris Adjusto guitar in good condition would fetch much more than $50-$75. You might want to check the "Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars". The new editions come out every two years or so I think.
-----------------------
I have an electrified Guldan guitar that is probably one of the last if not the last one of it's kind in existence and it looks like it dates back at least to the mid to late 1940's and possibly even earlier. I cannot find a single reference to it anywhere nor have I ever been find anyone else who claims to own one like it. The bridge and pickup are one piece and the cable comes directly out of the bridge/pickup assembly. It otherwise looks like any ordinary acoustic. The Jackson-Guldan guitars are made of birch, which most of their other stringed instruments are also made of and were only made sporadically as a sideline. They are fairly scarce but not very valuable because collectors haven't taken a fancy to them yet. Rarity doesn't mean much if there's no market. I can't see anyone paying more than $200 at most for any Jackson-Guldan guitar even in pristine condition.

: : I have absolutely no information on the company, but I found a Jackson Guldan Guitar in my Grandma's basement. It is a student-size guitar and it says Chris Adjusto on the top. Does anyone know anything about that?
: -----------------------------------------------
: My son also has recently acquired a Chris Adjusto. The info I have found is that it was produced by the Jackson-Guldan Violin Company.(Columbus, OH) They were in business from the 1920's through the late 1060's. They produced some guitars in the 50's and early 60's and were distributed by Montgomery Wards. The guitars were machine-crafted and mass produced, (using inexpensive materials) .. so they probably are not very valuable, except perhaps to a collector. My son's guitar still plays well enough though, and the deep tones actually surprised me when playing it.
: Jackson-Guldan was a violin company .. and I have seen circa 30's and 40's violins for sale on the web at prices ranging from $100 to $1500 for a Stradivarius copy. I doubt that a Chris Adjusto guitar in good condition would fetch much more than $50-$75. You might want to check the "Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars". The new editions come out every two years or so I think.

I found one, also. It has a surprisingly excellent tone. Any idea how to research it by serial number?

Jackson Guldan Accoustic Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Jackson Guldan Accoustic Guitar

I have been collecting western style acoustic guitars for over 44 years and am always delighted when I run across a Chris Adjusto. I'm ecstatic when I find a Child's 3/4 sized Chris Adjusto. I've found very few in the last twenty years since they have become a more popular item with Western Collectors.
I create many Western Era displays for a wide variety clients and believe me when I tell you that the Chris Adjusto line seems to garner much of the attention by my clients.
In particular are the Chris Adjusto Children's Guitars which were sold by The Cunningham Music Studios of Santa Monica, California. These are highly sought by Western and Oldtime Guitar Collectors because The Cunningham Music had a long list of celebrities who bought guitars for their children. I pay about $85 - $125 for a Chris Adjusto if it is in functioning condition, which is about market price for Western Collectors. If it has the scrolled embossed decal reading 'Cunningham Music Studios - Est 1939 Santa Monica, Calif' with the Cunningham Music Custom Diamond, then you have a real find here, and the Cunningham Music Chris Adjustos in good to better condition sell at around $180 - $250 if the Cunningham Music Studios decal is well centered and intact. I wish I had a dozen of them, I'm always disappointed when I find one that was from Cunningham Studios and someone had scratched off the Cunningham decal. If anyone out there finds a Chris Adjusto, feel free to email me. I will pay the going rate for a Chris Adjusto with the Cunningham Music Studios Decal intact. We hope to here from any Western and Oldtime Folk Guitar people. My brother and I enjoy hearing from those who are keeping the spirit of the Old West alive.

Sincerely,
C.J. & Robert Lee Hornsby

Chris Adjusto Guitar

I came across your comments while researching some information to include in a write up for an eBay auction I was preparing. I have a not mint but incredibly clean and sound Chris Adjusto 3/4 size guitar. The neck is a bit loose and the action is high. I do not know how to do the adjustments and therefore I did not want to mess with it. I am sure someone who is familiar with this guitar could adjust it. I saw that you may be willing to make an offer for purchase. I have taken pictures and can email those to you.

Jackson Guldan Accoustic Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Jackson Guldan Accoustic Guitar

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.