alcivar acoustic guitar

Posted by lonesome dave on Fri, 11/22/02 - 01:32:08.

who makes alcivar guitars

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Alcivar name stamp

Howdy All,
I like everyone else I have read love their Alcivar's the way I do, although mine from the first strum I knew I had something special in my hands....but where the name is on the head spreads to half way down the head then the wood color changes like someone took off the original name and put in a different piece of wood and then finished the guitar....you can see the seam in the wood grain which makes finding info that much more difficult to find??? Where one attaches the strings my bridge broke in two so I went about the task of finding some Ebony to replace it with and in fact did. I am very gifted at finishing wood works so it didn't take me long to fashion a new one but when a friend came over for Xmas I noticed that the bridge is now cracked and now needs to be replaced which I will do, but I am no further ahead at finding out who originally made this guitar, but for the record it states on the paper sticker inside that it is an "Alcivar" made in Japan with a model Number of MK-800 serial or manufacturer code of 90802...it also has a white band around top and bottom sides with mother of pearl inlay on top and bottom of blonde wood, possibly Aspen?
I hope this info helps anyone who is doing home work on my baby and yours, and if my info leads you anywhere then please drop me a line with your results.
Thanks
Tiggerer

Alcivar

I purchased my Alcivar at an auction in 1981 for $150.00. The model is k 190 j & serial number 01230 made in taiwan (all brass fittings & pearl inlay). I have played this guitar everywhere and it compares in sound with my Martin andmuch better than my fender. It is presently in for fret (four) replacement 7 setup. Not much known about these is correct but the guitar speaks for itself. My will not be for sale as long as I'm around. If you have one, keep it well maintained and keep it.

Alcivar Accoustic Guitar

I have an Alcivar accoustic guitar with the rose pattern mother of pearl inlay. It is gorgeous and I love the sound. I would love to know more about it. It seems as though these guitars have received a bad wrap as they should be valued at a lot more than they currently sell for just because there's not much info on them. I would say that the value of an Alcivar guitar may not be in its monetary value but every owner knows how priceless it is. I would love to see some pics of other Alcivar Accoustic guitars like mine. If anyone has one please send it to me at jscjazz@hotmail.com along with any info you might know on it.

I can't believe how rare these seem to be and that there isn't much info on them. Someone out there must know something about them. If anyone sees one in a store I say buy it immediately and spread the word on how great it is. Perhaps if the demand rises for them the monetary values will rise as well....just a thought. :P

Alcivar Electric Guitar

I purchased a beautiful Alcivar guitar from Paul's Music Store in Charlottetown, PEI, Canada during spring 1984. The Guitar is a copy of a BC Rich Mockingbird. The guitar had beautiful wood with neck through body construction. Fit & finish was excellent and IMO this guitar was nicer than the BC Rich models. Played and sounded great. Price was around $450.oo in 1984.

Alcivar Acoustic

I have the an acoustic Alcivar with the mother of pearl inlay in the neck and all brass fittings. This was my first guitar that was bought for me when I was 7 by my father. He said he thinks he paid 500 for it at Radio Shack in 1981. Its a beautiful guitar with a great sound but like everyone else I can't find very much info on it.

1970s 5 String Alcivar Banjo

Does anyone know anything about Alcivar making banjos from the 1970's??
I found one and would like to know more about them.

Many thanks to all.

Re: alcivar acoustic guitar

i have an alcivar strat copy. Also in Canada. natural finsh, large headstock, pretty solid instrument.

: who makes alcivar guitars?

good question. i too have been huntin any info since i got my ALCIVAR acoustic in a used guiitar store here in Ottawa.
mine is a black Dove(gibson copy)model W-65BK serial# 80914.
maple back rosewood sides spruce top(i think).
height adjustable bridge,split parralellogram neck inlays,
hard v neckshape with gibson style headstock,
headstock logo on mine is a gold sticker(ive seen online pics of a pearl inlay logo)

some thread i came across somewhere suggested they where made by ibanez for the Canadian market in the 70's.

all i really know for sure is its the best sounding acoustic guitar ive ever played.i got lucky.

Alcivar acoustic

I have an acoustic labeled K-100W stamped with what I assume is the serial # 70710. It is also made in Japan and has a Martin shaped headstock. All black with white banding. Plays great with Elixer light strings.

: who makes alcivar guitars

i think they were made by ibanez
i have 3 reso's and a dove ,they are not expensive but they are very very nice guitars
still looking for more

I have an alcivar dobro. Very sweet sound. I bought it in a pawn shop in 1997 in Vancouver Canada. I been checking the internet and have not been able to find out anything. Somebody must know something. Is mine the only one?

alcivar dobro

I have one. My husband purchased it in Edmonton in the '80s. He has since died but loved it and it does have a good sound. There is no serial # or anything, just Alcivar in gold on the neck. This dobro is in pristine condition, but sadly no one else in the family is interested in playing it.

Re: Alcivar II acoustic Resonator guitar

: I also have an Alcivar II dobro. Also, Very sweet sound. I bought it in a music shop in 2009 in Montreal Canada. I been checking the internet too, and not much about it. I think that yours is not the only one.
PS Mine will be soon for sale, I want to go lapsteel with a squareneck and I do not want to stress the neck of my Alcivar II, and keep it intact.

They were made before the '80s. Sometime between '73-'75 I went to Long & McQuade's in Ottawa Canada. I strummed everything they had and liked the Alcivar the best. A freind had just dropped $1200 on a Martin and said he liked the Alcivar better. Never bought it and always regretted it. Best guitar I ever heard. It was black and $200 at the time.

Ive just picked up my first guitar, its an Alcivar acoustic and a friend gave it to me it was just sitting in his wood shed for four years still in good shape and haves a really good sound. If any one has any info on this guitar just email me at butcher_green@hotmail.com. I would very much appreciate it.

I should've also mentioned that the acoustic Alcivar is a jumbo size and the pawn shop was in Saskatoon, SK. The guitar has brass pegs and the inlay is really nice.

My dad bought an Alcivar from a pawnshop and I now have the guitar. It was pretty beat up, but the sound is really nice. I want to get it restored because I think that it would be worth it.

: My dad bought an Alcivar from a pawnshop and I now have the guitar. It was pretty beat up, but the sound is really nice. I want to get it restored because I think that it would be worth it.

take it to the guitar maker in highriver alta

I don't know who made them but they were around in stores in the early eighties (in Canada anyway). I tried looking them up on the net many times but no luck. Strangely that is what I was doing now and lo and behold I found this site. My dobro has a poorly fitted neck. Has a gap at the heel joining the body. I took it to a local tech and he told me that many of these guitars had been mismanufactured and the heel angle was out by a few degrees. Looking at mine I see a small shim. They were apparently trying to fix them as best they could and shipped them for sale (got mine new). That seems to me to fit with what I have. I was told that they went out of business as a result. That also seems to fit as for years I couldn't even find a listing for Alcivar guitars on the net. Anyway maybe someone can get a little more of the story based on this.

Only in Canada eh?
Seems like the common denomminator is that most of these sitings are in Canada. I came across 2, a GB 10 jazz box in Ontario copy and a Dobro in New Brunswick. Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Alcivar is a trademark for which very little information is known. It appears that these are Japanese instruments that were produced in the 1980s. They are often copies of popular American copies (i.e. Les Paul, ES-335, etc.). There have been instruments found with DiMarzio pickups and active electronics. These appear to be fairly well-built guitars; however, they do not command a lot of money like most people think. This is because very little information is known about them, and 99 out of 100 Asian guitar manufacturers have produced very cheap guitars. These guitars are often found in pawn shops and online. Serial numbers and model information are often nonexistent, and if they were available, this information was once on a sticker that fell off long ago. Do not expect to pay too much or receive too much when you sell them.

I have an Alcivar Dove - purchased for me for my 16th Birday in 1972 - so they were made prior to the 1980's for sure. I would like to know more about the make etc - but musicians who have played Les Paul's, Martin's etc say it's sound is far superior

: Alcivar is a trademark for which very little information is known. It appears that these are Japanese instruments that were produced in the 1980s. They are often copies of popular American copies (i.e. Les Paul, ES-335, etc.). There have been instruments found with DiMarzio pickups and active electronics. These appear to be fairly well-built guitars; however, they do not command a lot of money like most people think. This is because very little information is known about them, and 99 out of 100 Asian guitar manufacturers have produced very cheap guitars. These guitars are often found in pawn shops and online. Serial numbers and model information are often nonexistent, and if they were available, this information was once on a sticker that fell off long ago. Do not expect to pay too much or receive too much when you sell them.
I have an Alicivar Acoustic with a serial number
19770328. The 328th of thiis kind in 1977, I know this because i baught it in 1977 in a pawn shop in Victoria BC. It is the Gibson Dove copy. I have listened too many many guitars in my Life and my Alcivar is the best Ive ever heard. I have seen an original Gibson Dove and they are virtualy the same Wood, Construction, and Decoration. along with the bridge,inlay and pickgaurd. I too took mine just recently to Long and Mqades here in Victoria they loved the sound but knew little of the makers.. Just love my Alcivar.

alcivar 12 string acoustic

I bought a 12 string alcivar acoustic today i got it for a good price and was wandering how much it was worth.

: : Alcivar is a trademark for which very little information is known. It appears that these are Japanese instruments that were produced in the 1980s. They are often copies of popular American copies (i.e. Les Paul, ES-335, etc.). There have been instruments found with DiMarzio pickups and active electronics. These appear to be fairly well-built guitars; however, they do not command a lot of money like most people think. This is because very little information is known about them, and 99 out of 100 Asian guitar manufacturers have produced very cheap guitars. These guitars are often found in pawn shops and online. Serial numbers and model information are often nonexistent, and if they were available, this information was once on a sticker that fell off long ago. Do not expect to pay too much or receive too much when you sell them.
: I have an Alicivar Acoustic with a serial number
: 19770328. The 328th of thiis kind in 1977, I know this because i baught it in 1977 in a pawn shop in Victoria BC. It is the Gibson Dove copy. I have listened too many many guitars in my Life and my Alcivar is the best Ive ever heard. I have seen an original Gibson Dove and they are virtualy the same Wood, Construction, and Decoration. along with the bridge,inlay and pickgaurd. I too took mine just recently to Long and Mqades here in Victoria they loved the sound but knew little of the makers.. Just love my Alcivar.

Hi there,
I started playing guitar when I was 11. My father brought home an Alcivar from a pawn shop for my sister and I locked it in my room until he paid for it for me three months later. That guitar was my first love. This was is 1974. When I was 36 my step-son stole it to give to a girl he went to University with... trying to impress her. All he can remember is her first name and that she was from somewhere in Alberta. To this day I want to hire a private detective to track down my guitar and a hit man to take care of my idiot step-son! I now have a beautiful 12 string which I love very much, and two sixes (Aria and Hagstrom) which are nice enough... But they aren't anything like my Alcivar. It still makes my heart hurt. Maybe I can find another one.

Still hurting over my guitar, Lily

Alcivar Guitar

Good day. I have an Alciver guitar that may interest you. It has the "Humming Bird" pick guard and elaborate bridge detail, made famous by Gibson. I live in Morinville, Alberta and the guitar is in mint condition. My secondary email address is wydmouth@telus.net

Mike

: Alcivar is a trademark for which very little information is known. It appears that these are Japanese instruments that were produced in the 1980s. They are often copies of popular American copies (i.e. Les Paul, ES-335, etc.). There have been instruments found with DiMarzio pickups and active electronics. These appear to be fairly well-built guitars; however, they do not command a lot of money like most people think. This is because very little information is known about them, and 99 out of 100 Asian guitar manufacturers have produced very cheap guitars. These guitars are often found in pawn shops and online. Serial numbers and model information are often nonexistent, and if they were available, this information was once on a sticker that fell off long ago. Do not expect to pay too much or receive too much when you sell them.
I have an Alicivar Acoustic with a serial number

:I have been going crazy looking for anything on Alcivar guitars and found a site but my comp messed up as it usualy does and now i cant find it any more. I bought my Alcivar in northern Canada (Peace River) at a yard sale and its the best guitar i have owned its even got the pearl inlay.

Re: alcivar electric guitar

I just bought an Alcivar at a pawn shop. It's beautiful but I can't find ant info on it. I live in northern Canada. thought maybe it was locally made, but I guess not.

Related News:
Dobro / National / Resonator Guitars

alcivar

Bought mine in 1975. All maple start copy. Replaced the pickups with Demarggio Fat cats (though I'm wondering if I made a mistake). It is solid, straight and beautiful. Some of my real, top-gun guitarist friends have played it on stage and love it. I think I payed $350 for it then. Really it has hardly every been played. I have no idea what it's worth. But I'll never sell it. I was told the wood was 20 years old when it was made by my reputable guy at Music City (which still exists). Lovely guitar.

alcivar

Bought mine in 1975. All maple start copy. Replaced the pickups with Demarggio Fat cats (though I'm wondering if I made a mistake). It is solid, straight and beautiful. Some of my real, top-gun guitarist friends have played it on stage and love it. I think I payed $350 for it then. Really it has hardly every been played. I have no idea what it's worth. But I'll never sell it. I was told the wood was 20 years old when it was made by my reputable guy at Music City (which still exists). Lovely guitar.

Alcivar guitars

there is a channel on you tube now for these guitars , they are looking for pictures and videos of theses guitars .

Here's a link to the YouTube

Here's a link to the YouTube channel for Alcivar Guitars https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbHsug_IA6mTO29oG7wedjg

Alcivar Telecaster Copy

I love my 1980's Alcivar Fender Telecaster copy. It is black and I bought it second hand when I was a teenager, over 30 years ago.

Alcivar Strat copy

I wound up finding my Alcivar at a yard sale, of all things. I could tell right away that it was not a cheap knock-off. The neck is bird's-eye maple and very well made. the body is three piece ash with a four bolt bolt-on neck. I suspected it was an Ibanez factory from the pre-lawsuit era. So far, it seems like I'm right. I compare it to my old 1970 large headstock Fender Strat, and I almost prefer it. Very playable, good electronics, great fit and finish. I'm delighted to have it as a #2 on stage and not have to risk taking one of my more expensive guitars as back-up. I looked in my vintage catalog, but there was no mention of Alcivar, but if I evaluated it for the blue book I'd definitely put it up there with the other high quality Jap copies at the $450-$650 price range.

: I just bought an Alcivar used and i cant find anything on it also

This is too funny. I google "alcivar guitar" to see if there's any info on them, and it just leads to dozens of other folk looking for info on Alcivar guitars. I own an Alcivar electric guitar. I got it in 1987 and it is the best guitar! It's a hollow bodied, f-holed jazz guitar with a floating brige, so you gotta treat her sweet.

My last name is Alcivar (really!), but I don't know anything about any relatives who make guitars.

: I just bought an Alcivar at a pawn shop. It's beautiful but I can't find ant info on it. I live in northern Canada. thought maybe it was locally made, but I guess not.

I own a Les Paul style Alcivar. Black with ivory trim. It's gorgeous and I know Peter Frampton and Alex Lifeson use ones that look identical.
Check out 2112 on Rush in Rio or Frampton in the documentaries of Almost Famous which he worked on.
I also bought mine second hand in Canada (Kitchener) and I'd love to know more about the company or even the guitar.

: I just bought an Alcivar at a pawn shop. It's beautiful but I can't find ant info on it. I live in northern Canada. thought maybe it was locally made, but I guess not.

I know! I just bought a second hand Alcivar as well. It is a thin line hollow body jazz/bluses electric with the F holes etc. it is so sweet. Why they aren't more valuable I'll never know. I have been looking for ags on ifo but they seem to have vanished off the planet. apparently Japenese that's all I know!

Mike

: : I just bought an Alcivar at a pawn shop. It's beautiful but I can't find ant info on it. I live in northern Canada. thought maybe it was locally made, but I guess not.

: I know! I just bought a second hand Alcivar as well. It is a thin line hollow body jazz/bluses electric with the F holes etc. it is so sweet. Why they aren't more valuable I'll never know. I have been looking for ags on ifo but they seem to have vanished off the planet. apparently Japenese that's all I know!

: Mike

i just bought a thinline hollowbody alcivar...its brown wood grain with a cream stripe through the middle of it.....all i've found out is that it was made in the east somewhere....its a gibson 335 copy...pretty dead on if you ask me...its got a neck-thru design, a solid block through the center, f-holes, engravings on the pickups....one sharp looking guitar....beautiful neck......i heard that they were pre-ibanez. but thats all i know.

josh

My Father was given one from new in the late 70s I believe, and he thinks it was bought in Toronto. Japanese Stratocaster copy. All maple body, 1-piece maple neck, great sounding pickups. The truss rod broke and I had a new one installed locally because the neck was truly that nice. It's a great instrument that I would never sell (even if it wasnt a sentimental piece). I would LOVE more info on it.

I've had my Alcivar electric guitar for over 40 years. It's in very good shape and has a great sound. It's a nice burgandy colour with a light brown neck.

It was given to me and wasn't new at the time so it must be at least 45 years old.

These guitar are Ibanez guitars sold in Japan. Sold (at that time) under the name Alcivar. The people in Japan were very good at making good quality guitars. These guitars were made at the Ibanez plant in Japan.They are of the Ibanez family of guitars. If you have one, hold on to it. They are excellent old guitars.

Hello Mike and Jeff, as I see you you are masters in this music subject, look maybe you can help me with my doubt, I just buy a 12 strings bass hamer B12A, BEAUTY!!, but I know it is possible to be change the gauges to it, you know that options I have?... Victor Lima - Perú

I bought a steel-top acoustic Alcivar at a pawn shop in Toronto 12 years ago... never found any info on it either.

5or so years ago i bought an Alcivar copy of a gibson SG- nice looking natural wood finish....i've never seen a guitar with such an odd electronic set up--- although it never worked for me...it has 3 2 way selector switches one volume two tone switches, a 3 way pickup selector at the top, like the SG, and one 6 0r 8 way clicking selector-- all this plugged into a chip board with alote of electronic parts and a nine volt battery---never knew what this was all for---unfortunently it never worked and i gutted the old electronics--- it came with Di Marzio pick ups too..

I bought an Alcivar acoustic in 1977 at a pawn shop in Victoria BC Canada.It is an extact copy of a Gibson copy It is one of the best sounding gutars i have ever heard then and still today people rave at the sound it produces. Inside it has the date of manufacture and a number that i think would represent the number that it was made. Just recently had all the frets and macine heads done. Anyone who has info please let me know thanks.

:i also have one copy of a les paul sunburst.got in kitchener

alcivar

I have a sunburst alcivar as well, bought it up north about 10 years ago. Its a beautiful guitar and I cant find a thing out about it. They guy that I bought it from said that Alcivar was the only company besides epiphone that was given permission to use the Les Paul signature. Could be false, who knows!!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2022 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.