Re: Dan Armstrong Bridge

Posted by Dave Prokell on Mon, 01/13/03 - 21:07:17.

: I recently aquired one of the re-issues on Ebay. It plays much better than my 1970...and the bridge is a vast improvement. It has individual little saddles for the strings. Hey it blows too...but it's better than a popsicle stick with a piece of fretwire over it. I remember someone on this list here said they had Armstrong parts, so see if there's any of these re-issue bridges lying about.

: Also, as a footnote, this re-issue (which is translucent black) has an MD (Modern Drive) pickup as well as the stabdard RT. Not to bad for an Armstrong pickup. few years a go I had a friend of mine mod a Jackson J90-C to slide into the Armstrong enclosure, and it's hella loud, indeed.

Thanks Kyle. Will the re-issue bridge mount up on the original? Do you know of any other bridges that will mount up? (I heard that there was a danelectro that fits) Rumor has it that the Gregg guy posted before has parts. I have Kent Armstrong's e mail address too. He is still making pick ups for the guitars, he hasn't responded yet to see if he has any other parts. (I only sent it today) Thanks again brother I'll keep you posted. LATE!!!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I have a reissue plexi. I did replace the stock bridge with a Dan Electro bridbe. I had to fabricate a 3/16 plate below the bridge to keep the angle of the saddles at a minium. I also had to drill and tap 6 new holes behind the old ones. These are used to hold the saddle in place. The way it was, it could not be intonated. It was a bitch but it playes really nice now. Fast and effing low. I also swapped out the Grovers with the new thumb wheel locking tuners.
Any questions email me at seawashin@yahoo.com

: : I recently aquired one of the re-issues on Ebay. It plays much better than my 1970...and the bridge is a vast improvement. It has individual little saddles for the strings. Hey it blows too...but it's better than a popsicle stick with a piece of fretwire over it. I remember someone on this list here said they had Armstrong parts, so see if there's any of these re-issue bridges lying about.

: : Also, as a footnote, this re-issue (which is translucent black) has an MD (Modern Drive) pickup as well as the stabdard RT. Not to bad for an Armstrong pickup. few years a go I had a friend of mine mod a Jackson J90-C to slide into the Armstrong enclosure, and it's hella loud, indeed.

: Thanks Kyle. Will the re-issue bridge mount up on the original? Do you know of any other bridges that will mount up? (I heard that there was a danelectro that fits) Rumor has it that the Gregg guy posted before has parts. I have Kent Armstrong's e mail address too. He is still making pick ups for the guitars, he hasn't responded yet to see if he has any other parts. (I only sent it today) Thanks again brother I'll keep you posted. LATE!!!
i have the re issue how can you change the bridge

: : I recently aquired one of the re-issues on Ebay. It plays much better than my 1970...and the bridge is a vast improvement. It has individual little saddles for the strings. Hey it blows too...but it's better than a popsicle stick with a piece of fretwire over it. I remember someone on this list here said they had Armstrong parts, so see if there's any of these re-issue bridges lying about.

: : Also, as a footnote, this re-issue (which is translucent black) has an MD (Modern Drive) pickup as well as the stabdard RT. Not to bad for an Armstrong pickup. few years a go I had a friend of mine mod a Jackson J90-C to slide into the Armstrong enclosure, and it's hella loud, indeed.

: Thanks Kyle. Will the re-issue bridge mount up on the original? Do you know of any other bridges that will mount up? (I heard that there was a danelectro that fits) Rumor has it that the Gregg guy posted before has parts. I have Kent Armstrong's e mail address too. He is still making pick ups for the guitars, he hasn't responded yet to see if he has any other parts. (I only sent it today) Thanks again brother I'll keep you posted. LATE!!!

hi

I bought the re issue bridge and it has to be shaved down... it is much too high... I have not tried to do it yet... but I did make my own for a temp. I uses about an 1/8 inch high peice of wood and solid core wire to lay on top... the DA that i bought had a Bigsby added and a Gibson S1 brigde with saddles that could be used for intonation adjustments... but the plexi glass was routed so it could fit... worked ok... but heavy modification... I did find the original chrome plate - 2 and the re issue bridge -2 so if you need one let me know...

: : : I recently aquired one of the re-issues on Ebay. It plays much better than my 1970...and the bridge is a vast improvement. It has individual little saddles for the strings. Hey it blows too...but it's better than a popsicle stick with a piece of fretwire over it. I remember someone on this list here said they had Armstrong parts, so see if there's any of these re-issue bridges lying about.

: : : Also, as a footnote, this re-issue (which is translucent black) has an MD (Modern Drive) pickup as well as the stabdard RT. Not to bad for an Armstrong pickup. few years a go I had a friend of mine mod a Jackson J90-C to slide into the Armstrong enclosure, and it's hella loud, indeed.

: : Thanks Kyle. Will the re-issue bridge mount up on the original? Do you know of any other bridges that will mount up? (I heard that there was a danelectro that fits) Rumor has it that the Gregg guy posted before has parts. I have Kent Armstrong's e mail address too. He is still making pick ups for the guitars, he hasn't responded yet to see if he has any other parts. (I only sent it today) Thanks again brother I'll keep you posted. LATE!!!

:
: hi

: I bought the re issue bridge and it has to be shaved down... it is much too high... I have not tried to do it yet... but I did make my own for a temp. I uses about an 1/8 inch high peice of wood and solid core wire to lay on top... the DA that i bought had a Bigsby added and a Gibson S1 brigde with saddles that could be used for intonation adjustments... but the plexi glass was routed so it could fit... worked ok... but heavy modification... I did find the original chrome plate - 2 and the re issue bridge -2 so if you need one let me know...

FOLLOW UP... I GROUND DOWN THE RE ISSUE ROSEWOOD BRIGDE WITH METAL SADDLES AND IT WORKED WELL... HAD TO SHAVE A LOT OFF... TAKE YOUR TIME...

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TUNERS WERE USED OF THE OLD 6 STRING LUCITES... TYPE AND MODEL ????

Do you still have the bridge & popsickle stick thing ? I have an old 70s copy of a DA by Ventura. But I am missing parts. Electronics, pick up, pickguard & bridge. I do not care of its original or repro. I just want to put it back together. Thanks for the help.

: : : I recently aquired one of the re-issues on Ebay. It plays much better than my 1970...and the bridge is a vast improvement. It has individual little saddles for the strings. Hey it blows too...but it's better than a popsicle stick with a piece of fretwire over it. I remember someone on this list here said they had Armstrong parts, so see if there's any of these re-issue bridges lying about.

: : : Also, as a footnote, this re-issue (which is translucent black) has an MD (Modern Drive) pickup as well as the stabdard RT. Not to bad for an Armstrong pickup. few years a go I had a friend of mine mod a Jackson J90-C to slide into the Armstrong enclosure, and it's hella loud, indeed.

: : Thanks Kyle. Will the re-issue bridge mount up on the original? Do you know of any other bridges that will mount up? (I heard that there was a danelectro that fits) Rumor has it that the Gregg guy posted before has parts. I have Kent Armstrong's e mail address too. He is still making pick ups for the guitars, he hasn't responded yet to see if he has any other parts. (I only sent it today) Thanks again brother I'll keep you posted. LATE!!!

:
: hi

: I bought the re issue bridge and it has to be shaved down... it is much too high... I have not tried to do it yet... but I did make my own for a temp. I uses about an 1/8 inch high peice of wood and solid core wire to lay on top... the DA that i bought had a Bigsby added and a Gibson S1 brigde with saddles that could be used for intonation adjustments... but the plexi glass was routed so it could fit... worked ok... but heavy modification... I did find the original chrome plate - 2 and the re issue bridge -2 so if you need one let me know...

: : I sent an email to kent@kentarmstrong.com, but that was a roll of the dice. I have heard zippo. What address did you use?

: : As to whether or not the bridge fromt he re-issue would fit on the original, I don't know. I imagine it would since they say it was made from the original specs

: : (I am suspect of that statement, however, since the neck on thre re-issue is actually playable and the one on my 1970 is a like a baseball bat).

: : I suppose it's worth a try, maybe I'll give that a go when I change the strings on the black one this wekeend. Gonna slip that Jackson PU in there too and see what happens.....

: Kent said the reissue bridge will fit on the O.G. He also still makes pick ups, his e mail address is: armstr@sover.net I like the big fat neck on my 70, I just hate the bridge and the country bass pick up the jack off that sold it to me included with it.

:hi there i recently got the newer bridge with the brass saddles for my original 70' guitar and had it replaced
it dosent just go right in, it will need some careful shaving from the bottom to get the action down the newer bridge is much higher than the original but makes a world of difference for the intonation i got the bridge from
st. louis music
p.s any one know where i can find a humbucker for my DA
thanks
-mike de la cuesta

I sent an email to kent@kentarmstrong.com, but that was a roll of the dice. I have heard zippo. What address did you use?

As to whether or not the bridge fromt he re-issue would fit on the original, I don't know. I imagine it would since they say it was made from the original specs

(I am suspect of that statement, however, since the neck on thre re-issue is actually playable and the one on my 1970 is a like a baseball bat).

I suppose it's worth a try, maybe I'll give that a go when I change the strings on the black one this wekeend. Gonna slip that Jackson PU in there too and see what happens.....

: I sent an email to kent@kentarmstrong.com, but that was a roll of the dice. I have heard zippo. What address did you use?

: As to whether or not the bridge fromt he re-issue would fit on the original, I don't know. I imagine it would since they say it was made from the original specs

: (I am suspect of that statement, however, since the neck on thre re-issue is actually playable and the one on my 1970 is a like a baseball bat).

: I suppose it's worth a try, maybe I'll give that a go when I change the strings on the black one this wekeend. Gonna slip that Jackson PU in there too and see what happens.....

Kent said the reissue bridge will fit on the O.G. He also still makes pick ups, his e mail address is: armstr@sover.net I like the big fat neck on my 70, I just hate the bridge and the country bass pick up the jack off that sold it to me included with it.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.