Re: Anyone heard of Espana of Finland?

Posted by John on Sat, 07/06/02 - 14:10:29.

Espana guitars were widely available in Canada about 35 years ago. They were carried by Canada's largest (and now defuct) department store Eaton's. They were advertised as being made from Canadian woods that were exported to Finland. A brand new Espana SL-1 or SL-2 Classical guitar cost about $300.00 CDN in 1967. In 1967 this would have been about $310.00 USD.

The product line was promoted, in Canada, by a Czech expat opera singer and actor named Jan Rubes. Mr. Rubes went on to appear in many films and television shows including the Harrison Ford Movie "Witness" were he played the Amish Patriarch.

When I was in grade 3, Mr. Rubes visited my public school to perform a concert using his Espana SL-2 Classical guitar. I was so impressed with the performance, and Mr Rubes, that I asked for a Espana guitar for my 10th birthday. This began my guitar playing career. I still play that guitar, almost everyday, 35 years later.

The Espana line was imported into the U.S. by a company called Espana Guitars in New York City. The address given on the label inside the guitar is:

Espana Guitars
5 Union Square
New York 3, NY

"3" seems like a very short Zip code.

I have not been able to determine what became of the Espana company nor when they stopped producing guitars. If you have any information I would appreciate hearing from you.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

the electric's pickups?

Anyone know info about the pickups on the electrics?

Here's some info I came across w catalogs too
http://www.vintage-guitars.se/Bjarton/Bjarton_Espana.htm

Espana

I'm doing some research on Espana guitars from the early-mid 1960's for the Joni Mitchell website. I'm pretty certain that Joni's first guitar was an Espana (purchased in Calgary at Eaton's (perhaps?) around the 1963-1964 time period), but sure would like some of your expert opinions. There is no way to share photos here, is there? Anyone interested, I'd be happy to email you the photo for your opinion. Thanks! les@jonimitchell.com

a friend of mine just

a friend of mine just gave me an acoustic ...im refinishing ....dont know how old it is ...but its comiong along beautifully
....Val Dez...made by espana finland

Español classical guitars

These Finland Español guitars were distributed by Bugelisen And Jacobson in New York. I know because I worked for the company. Of my 18 guitars, this is my favorite classical.
Excellent action and deep rich sound. No physical problems because I took good care of it over the years. It was the very first to arrive at B&J as a sample. It hung right behind my desk. After trying it once I knew it was special. If anyone has questions, write me. Regards to all Español fans. Jan

Jan, thank you

Thank you for confirming what i knew instantly as well. This SL-1 Espana guitar was very special form the first time I laid eyes and ears on it. On the particular classic acoustic i have acquired there is a sticker. It looks like a king's crown. I wondered if this is normal or makes the guitar more special in some way. It was a friend of mine's grandpa and he doesn't play guitar so he gave it to me. It has a huge crack in the main body, but i stil love the guitar. I am cleaning it and prepping for new strings. I think the crack is going to give it a little extra character :) Anyways, if you could give me any information on what I actually have here I would love to hear it. My serial number is 100063

espana sl 16

Hi Thanks for that post. After reading some of the comments I've found online, including yours, i decided to buy a espana sl 16 grand concert guitar. it seems like this particular model went on for sale in 1968. according to the catalog i found online, it was the second most expensive classical guitar model at $279 in 1967. I think the most expensive model was sl4? anyways, would you please tell me more about Espana sl 16? For that matter i would love to hear from anybody.

thank you very much

Val Dez V-66

Came across my grandfathers Val Dez V-66. Serial 135777.
Was in fantastic shape and with a re-string sounds amazing!

No interest on value here, just would love to know more about the story/year behind this guitar as finding it brought back memories of listening to Grandad play... Thx

Says the following on inside.

Made in Finland
Val Dez
Finest Guaranteed Quality

Imported by Espana Guitars
5 Union Square
New York 3, NY

Its great to see someone out there talking about these guitars. I have a 12 string Espana from the late 60's early 70's I think. It is made in Finland and imported to New York by Espana Guitars, Pelham Manor, New York 10803.
Model # E231
Serial No# 3-015234

Can you help me find any more info on it ?

does anyone know what a Espana FL-41 Would go for now in cdn dollars.?

I purchased an Espana back in high school in 1965, a model SL-1. I did pay just over $300US for it. It was described as a "handcrafted 3/4 size classical". There is a "made in Sweden" sticker inside the body below the Espana Guitar logo sticker. It has served me well and continues to deliver a beautiful, rich sound. My paperwork came from BUEGELISEN & JACOBSON, Inc. They were identified as "distributors of Espana Guitars". The paperwork shows the 5 Union Square, NYC address AND (in Canada) 720 Bathurst St., Toronto 4, Ont. I too would love to find out more about this company, that made this fine instrument.

I found an Espana guitar in my wifes attic when we were dating. She was going to throw it out, because the bridge was missing and there were a couple of blemishes on it. I took a good look at it and noticed the quality and craftsmanship of the construction of the guitar. I recently carried it to a local music store and had a professional opinion about fixing it. The gentleman closely examined it and said it is a finely made guitar with excellent bracing and wonderful wood inlays with a spruce top and mahogany sides and back. He suggested that I have an expert do the repairs and that although he is not a fan of orchestra guitars, he really liked this one. I do not know the model but it has the decal inside that says Finland and the New York address as well. If anyone else has anymore information on these type of guitars I would be grateful to your response.

Espana Guitar

This is a little late coming, but I was doing some research on my guitar I have had as a young girl. The description you gave is exactly what mine seems to be. It's been sitting in my closet for years and wanted to know if it was worth anything. I wondered if you found out about its worth. The inside of my guitar has numbers (3-010131). The guitar needs a lot of work. The action is very high and the finish has cracks. Probably due to heat and cold changes. Other than that it has a good sound. Thanks

: Espana guitars were widely available in Canada about 35 years ago. They were carried by Canada's largest (and now defuct) department store Eaton's. They were advertised as being made from Canadian woods that were exported to Finland. A brand new Espana SL-1 or SL-2 Classical guitar cost about $300.00 CDN in 1967. In 1967 this would have been about $310.00 USD.

: The product line was promoted, in Canada, by a Czech expat opera singer and actor named Jan Rubes. Mr. Rubes went on to appear in many films and television shows including the Harrison Ford Movie "Witness" were he played the Amish Patriarch.

: When I was in grade 3, Mr. Rubes visited my public school to perform a concert using his Espana SL-2 Classical guitar. I was so impressed with the performance, and Mr Rubes, that I asked for a Espana guitar for my 10th birthday. This began my guitar playing career. I still play that guitar, almost everyday, 35 years later.

: The Espana line was imported into the U.S. by a company called Espana Guitars in New York City. The address given on the label inside the guitar is:

: Espana Guitars
: 5 Union Square
: New York 3, NY

: "3" seems like a very short Zip code.

: I have not been able to determine what became of the Espana company nor when they stopped producing guitars. If you have any information I would appreciate hearing from you.

i also have one but cant find any infe on it

roger@davishomesinc.com

: Espana guitars were widely available in Canada about 35 years ago. They were carried by Canada's largest (and now defuct) department store Eaton's. They were advertised as being made from Canadian woods that were exported to Finland. A brand new Espana SL-1 or SL-2 Classical guitar cost about $300.00 CDN in 1967. In 1967 this would have been about $310.00 USD.

: The product line was promoted, in Canada, by a Czech expat opera singer and actor named Jan Rubes. Mr. Rubes went on to appear in many films and television shows including the Harrison Ford Movie "Witof the Espana company nor when they stopped producing guitars. If you have any information I would appreciate hearing from you.

: : Espana guitars were widely available in Canada about 35 years ago. They were carried by Canada's largest (and now defuct) department store Eaton's. They were advertised as being made from Canadian woods that were exported to Finland. A brand new Espana SL-1 or SL-2 Classical guitar cost about $300.00 CDN in 1967. In 1967 this would have been about $310.00 USD.

: : The product line was promoted, in Canada, by a Czech expat opera singer and actor named Jan Rubes. Mr. Rubes went on to appear in many films and television shows including the Harrison Ford Movie "Witof the Espana company nor when they stopped producing guitars. If you have any information I would appreciate hearing from you.
:

i recently found one in charlotte, nc looks and sounds great

Hugh Downs endorsed Espana guitars, too.

: The product line was promoted, in Canada, by a Czech expat opera singer and actor named Jan Rubes. Mr. Rubes went on to appear in many films and television shows including the Harrison Ford Movie "Witness" were he played the Amish Patriarch.

: When I was in grade 3, Mr. Rubes visited my public school to perform a concert using his Espana SL-2 Classical guitar. I was so impressed with the performance, and Mr Rubes, that I asked for a Espana guitar for my 10th birthday. This began my guitar playing career. I still play that guitar, almost everyday, 35 years later.

: The Espana line was imported into the U.S. by a company called Espana Guitars in New York City. The address given on the label inside the guitar is:

: I have not been able to determine what became of the Espana company nor when they stopped producing guitars. If you have any information I would appreciate hearing from you.
sorry, I do not have any info your looking for. I happen to have an Espana, or my wife does I should say. How can I tell which model it is? we are going to sell it since she doesn't play it and I can't. any help would be greatly appreciated. best regards,

I found an Espana guitar in the garbage about 15 years ago with a broken neck. I noticed it had a "made in Sweden" label inside complete with a serial number, so as a kid I thought it might be a significant guitar!
After wood gluing the neck back together (just looked again before typing this and can not find the joint) It has been played faithfully since!

I Have an espana guitar. The label on the inside says New York. The back side of the guitar appears to be rose wood. Very rich in cheery color wiyh very dark to black veins with some interesting flares in the grain. The top is spruce and the finish has cracked through the years. The head stock does not have the same logo as the ones I have seen on the internet. Mabe because it is an acoustic not a classical. It reads espana but with a large crown below it all in a gold color.

I have one how do I find what model mine is

I have an Espana SL-47 that I bought in 1966. From the inlaid crown logos, it appears to have been made by Landola in Finland. I wish I knew more about it, because it still sounds sweet and fingers very nicely.

An Espana Guitar bought by my father in JAPAN

My father was in the Air Force and bought his (now mine) Espana guitar in Japan! It has an inlaid crown in the body of the guitar and 108414 plus an SL-11 on the Espana/made in Finland sticker inside. It's a lovely guitar and I find it interesting that he found it in Japan in the 60's.

= someone just gave me a steel string espana . intereasting

: Espana guitars were widely available in Canada about 35 years ago. They were carried by Canada's largest (and now defuct) department store Eaton's. They were advertised as being made from Canadian woods that were exported to Finland. A brand new Espana SL-1 or SL-2 Classical guitar cost about $300.00 CDN in 1967. In 1967 this would have been about $310.00 USD. : The product line was promoted, in Canada, by a Czech expat opera singer and actor named Jan Rubes. Mr. Rubes went on to appear in many films and television shows including the Harrison Ford Movie "Witness" were he played the Amish Patriarch. : When I was in grade 3, Mr. Rubes visited my public school to perform a concert using his Espana SL-2 Classical guitar. I was so impressed with the performance, and Mr Rubes, that I asked for a Espana guitar for my 10th birthday. This began my guitar playing career. I still play that guitar, almost everyday, 35 years later. : The Espana line was imported into the U.S. by a company called Espana Guitars in New York City. The address given on the label inside the guitar is: : Espana Guitars : 5 Union Square : New York 3, NY : "3" seems like a very short Zip code. : I have not been able to determine what became of the Espana company nor when they stopped producing guitars. If you have any information I would appreciate hearing from you.

I own an Espana that was purchased from Eatons Department Store in about 1970. It is a 6 string acoustic, very quiet and not a great deal of projection. From my understanding they were made by the Hagstom (not sure of the spelling) Guitar Company. I recently saw a double necked Espana that was selling for $6oo Canadian. My six string is probably worth $30.00. I recently had it set up and made playable(the neck had a slight S curve) by a guitar tech who thought I should use 9's on it as the stress from a heavier gauge string might cause a more serious problem. Its not a great guitar but I have an emotional attachment to it.

Hi, I just wanna know how much for the value of an original guitare like this. I mean what i'm supposed to pay for one of these in those day.???

I have an SL-2 also. My parents bought it for me in 1967 (roughly). It's a weird hybrid -- a cross between a classical guitar and a dreadnought. Large body, nylon strings. It has a light, bell-like sound.

I have an Espana sl-10 classical guitar made in Finland. This guitar is awesome! Mother of pearl inlays on the headstock and neck.

Before the advent of 5-digit area codes, large cities used
Response (partial)
1 or 2 digit codes for general areas within town. That location would be 10005 today. If you ever find a source for the Espana, please let me know. Good luck!

I also have a Valdez model V-65 ser #108822 which I have had for approximately 35 years. I thought it curious that a guitar with that name would be made in Finland. Mine also has a label inside saying imported by Espana Guitars with the New York address. I would like to know its approximate worth as I am interested in selling it.

Did you ever fined any info on your Valdez V-65?
I also have one and was wondering.
thanks

val dez v-65

I too have a V-65. Did anyone find any information?
thanks
richard

I have a Val Dez made in Finland and imported by the same company. I found it in a child's closet in my sisters house in Fairfeild, West Virginia. She gave it to me and I have been playing it since 1981. I really like it. It has a very nice sound.

My brother bought an Espana guitar in the early 1960s in Saint Paul Minnesota. It has a label inside which says it was made in Sweden. I still have it.

Espana guitar

Anyone interested in purchasing the one I've come into possession of? Contact me 704-713-0327

:I own a Espana made in Finland. But, my model number is 8Lm1 at least thats what I can make out. If they stopped production I would like to know how much its worth. on the neck at the top it says Espana in cursive with the crown symbol beneath it and on the body off to the left of the face it has a slanted crown symbol.

I still own an Espana 6-steel string guitar. Model number 2102, Serial number 177785. The label inside says "Made in Finland for Espana Guitars, 5 Union Square, New York 3, N.Y."

It was the first guitar I bought from a store, the fourth I was to own. I was in high school, so I had to save for a while. The date was the spring of 1971. It was a huge deal for me to finally get a new guitar that no one else had scratched or mucked up in some way. I bought it at the Broadway Music Store on Yonge Street at Broadway Avenue (north of Eglinton), Toronto.

I have looked at the Hagstom uk site (referenced elsewhere in these postings) and it seems like my guitar is very similar to a mid-60's model "FL-40", the catalogue dimensions match very closely. The major visible difference is the bridge. All the Espanas in catalogue photos seem to have a rectangular bridge. Mine is straight on the soundhole side but multi-curved on the "bottom" like a moustache. In addition, the saddle is made of wood and its heigth is adjustable by 2 brass screws at either end. I have never seen this on an acoustic steel string guitar before, or since.

I always found it to play and sound well, unfortunately the years and strings' tension has not been kind to the bridge, which has split along the line of the pin holes as well as being partially pulled off the top. The top is also pulled up into a pronounced belly. As a consequence the adjustable wood saddle is now as low as it can go to maintain decent action on the treble strings but in doing so the base E rides above the saddle and rattles seriously. The neck is fatter feeling than my other steel string guitars (dreadnaughts), more like a classical guitar. It has a truss rod of some kind and remains straight and true.

I have had to retire it to GSO status (guitar shaped object) until I can find the time to repair the top and bridge (I think it will need a complete top removal and replacement).

BFN

Pardon my earlier post which was simply a repeat of the earlier post. While I have comments about Espana guitars, I am interested in knowing if anyone has or has heard of Espana guitars that were made in Sweden rather than Finland? I got my Espana for Christmas in 1967 and it was purchased at a small music store in Texas. I have quite a collection of classical guitars but usually reach for my Espana. It is a terrific instrumet especially considering the price. I have seen many Espana's on places like ebay, but they are always those made in Finland and imported by a company in New York. Anyone know anything about those made in Sweden? Thanks.

Hi, I have one of those

I have a Espana, sounds great, still in good condition and it is has a sticker on the inside with the same address. Write me back if you want. Talk to you soon.

: Espana guitars
I have an Espana steel string guitar that was purchased around 1968 for my sister who never took it up so I got it and let my kids pick up on playing. I finely got the youngest one to stay with it. It was an inexpensive guitar at the time. It sounds pretty good. I play my Martin DR from 1992 but sometimes pick up the Espana when it's out in my son's room. I only use light silk and steel strings on it. Is it worth anything today? I thought about putting new tuners on it since the ones on it now are cheap. There is no model number but I do have two numbers inside it. They are 2102 and 128606. The zip code inside is correct as you described.

Espana guitars

I own an Espana classical guitar. The sticker inside it says it is made in Sweden. The serial number is 53557. I purchased it in 1964 in a music store in Aberdeen SD. I was in college then. The importer listed on the sticker is:

Espana Guitars
20 East 15th Street
New York 3 N.Y.

I don't think the three is a zip code. It seems I remember from my youth that larger cities had "zones" which were part of mailing addresses.
As I recall, the guitar cost around $150 at the time I bought it. It was the first thing I ever bought that I got a loan from a bank for.
I am not an accomplished guitarist, but the guitar has been my companion at a lot of youth group singing and campfires. Until I came here to your website, I haven't found anyone else who even recognized the Espana brand. I thought there must be something special about it. It's too beautifully-made of a guitar to be just "brand X".
God bless
Bill Spicer

Espana Guitar - Model SL-1 made in Finland

I have an Espana SL-1 bearing serial number 98881 and the "Made in Finland" label, so I place it as having been made in the mid- to late-1960's. I received it new as a gift about that time, maybe 1969. It plays very well, but the neck has started coming off the body at the heel (ever so slightly), and one of the tuning knobs has just broken off while I was replacing the strings. The guitar has the "Espana" name and the three-crown logo on the head, and the same logo is also on the body of the guitar, in the center of the upper-left quadrant of the front of the body. I'm thinking of having someone install a screw inside the body into the heel of the neck, to hold it on. Any comments?

Espana guitar

Stephen -- I also have an Espana, model SL-4, serial 96783 It has a rosewood body, three crowns mother of pearl inlay. I acquired it through a trade at a small music store in 1969 or 1970. The guitar I traded for it was a Guild 12 string (brutal on my finger tips). I don't think the market value of the Espana has kept up with the Guild 12 string :) but I found this one much easier to play and enjoy -- so I guess it was still a good trade for me.

espana e220

I have a friend who bought a espana e220 made in Findland does anyone know anything about one of these perhaps when it might be made or how much it is worth

WANTED - ESPANA CLASSICAL GUITAR

Hello everyone from Austin, Texas. My first guitar was an Espana classical guitar with nylon strings that I purchased in 1969. It had cutouts in the sides, making it similar in shape to a violin. Blonde top, rosewood back. Mine was destroyed by a careless mover and I'm looking for a replacement. Please contact me if you see one any place. Gary Hill 512.569.7215

Espana Classical SL-2

I have one serial # 30 224 seems in good shape.. what's your price area..

Your Espana guitar

Geoff, thanks for your post. Could you send me a few pictures of your guitar and a description of it's condition? Also, does it have a model number inside on the label? It is probably an SL-104 or SL-106. I may be interested in purchasing it from you. Gary Hill, Austin, TX Gary@MySolis.com 512-569-7215

Espana 12 string

I have a 12 string model which I purchased in 1973- I played it until 1995 when it started to warp- probably due to my using heavy gauge strings I took it out yesterday and strung it with light gauge Martins after cleaning it up a bit- it plays pretty good after all these years!

Finnish made Espana guitars were distributed in the USA by B &n J distributing company. They marketed a full line of 6 and 12 string guitars, steel string and classical. Their steel string guitars had a good tone but had a quiet sound. Their classical guitars were actually quite good with a fine top-of-the line rosewood classic. I last saw them about 1975.

Follow up on Espana guitars: I had a lot of contact with Espana guitars in the early 70's in the Mountain View, CA area. They were distributed by B&J Distributing in Mt. View. They carried a full line of 6 string, 12 string, classical, and some specialty guitars such as quint guitars in a violing shape. They were built in Finland. Espana guitars were a mid priced guitar competing with Yamaha and other similar guitars. They typically had solid spruce tops with laminated sides and backs. Quality was rather uneven with neck set and bowed tops being rather common. The good ones did have quite a good while rather light sound. Mr. Jay, Texas

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.