Arthur Hansel Guitars

Posted by Nancy Ryan on Wed, 04/26/06 - 15:50:03.
In Reply to Acoustic Archtops

Is there anyone who could give me a resource site or any information on this fine guitar maker (Arthur Hansel) From what I can gather he hand made by himself about 3 or 4 hundred guitars. Some commisioned for some international artist. There are others looking but the tread has been discontinued. They are very rare guitars and there just isn't too much info out there that I can find. I have a dear old friend who is planning his estate and wants to pass on some history and value of the guitar to his beneficiary and for his own interest as well. The guitar was bought in the 50's and the label states Handmade by Arthur Hensel #203 in 1949. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Nancy Ryan
nwr3@yahoo.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Hensel Guitars (and one mandolin!)

Hey, folks...I’ve seen and had a few Hensel guitars over the years...all ‘Artist’ models, with the exception of one ‘Minerva’ model, similar to the others... my friend Bruce Dowd of Dowd Musical Instruments (on Gelebemount, off the Danforth) in Toronto has several that he has restored (including the Minerva I gave him after trading it for a B&S Grange of much lower quality, also made in Toronto)... Bruce gave me a Hensel mandolin, the only one either of us has seen... he is a top drawer luthier and repairman, and knowledgeable fellow with a keen interest in Hensel instruments.

Hensel guitar

I found one a few years ago, and it's sat round here since. Has a warped neck, and can't decide if it's worth fixing or if I should just sell it. It sounds GREAT as a slide guitar, and seems to have a one piece Mahogany back.. Top adirondack?

Music Master Hensel

I have an old Hensel guitar, am certainly interested in any info that is available out there, I've had it for about 8 years, and really don't know much more about it.

Is there another site where there are pics from people on Hensels? I could post some pics... I first realized it might be special when i saw the article about Murray McLauchlin [pardon my spelling] finding one and making a CD with it. ARticle was in the Star..

Hansel guitars

I recently acquired a Hansel and also looking for more info. Headstock only has Hansel running between the pegs and 2 small details at the top. Metal tuners, no pickguard and no sticker.

1952 Hansel Guitar 207

Hello...I am repairing a Hansel 1952
Made in May .It is unlike any described or
shown on the web.I have found only
one photo of the same inside label
And only one of the same type of head
stock.The photo of the label that I found
On the net...also shows a no.207
So those numbers are NOT meaning
how many of that type of guitar
were made.
I would sure like to find out more
about this particular model with the
Very plain headstock which has Hanse
printed in black straight down the headstock
...the letters getting smaller toward the
Bottom.

Hansel Information

Folkway Music in Waterloo, Canada has a page containing photos of several Hansel guitars:
http://www.folkwaymusic.com/oldmuseum/othguitargallery.html

I'm trying to research Hansel information through relatives in Germany. It all takes time. Right now I have nothing new to report.

Jan 13, 2018
Frank

Arthur Hansel Guitars

Hi friends I just bought a Arthur Hansel Gtr for $ 50 bucks . I would like to learn more about the maker and his shops. Frank if your still out there or anyone with info could you email me.
Thx !!

Re: Arthur Hansel Guitars

Hi Nancy,

Your post is quite old but I'll assume you're still looking for info on Arthur Hansel. Note - this is only a partial story, there are lots of holes.

Arthur Hansel and his second wife came to Canada in the 1930's. He was divorced and had a son in Germany, where he trained as a cabinet maker (I believe). The couple came to Canada via the UK - for reasons unknown.

On arrival in Canada the Hansels were partially supported by my grandparents. Things were still pretty tough here - it was the 1930's.

The Hansels purchased a house on Seaton St. in Toronto. Arthur setup his first workshop there. Sometime later Mrs Hansel passed away (I don't have dates).

Arthur and my grandmother got married in about 1962 or 1963 (my grandfather had passed away in 1960). They each sold their homes and purchased another at 55 MacDonald St in Scarborough. Mr Hansels workshop at this point was in the basement of the house.

I remember growing up and having all kinds of wood toys and playthings, courtesy of Mr. Hansel.

I'll have to end the story here. I have to run out for a bit. I'll continue it when I get back in.

Frank

Arthur Hansel

This is a very old post, I am gathering information about Arthur Hansel Frank, could you contact me please.

Arthur Hansel

Hi,

Your post is quite old, are you still looking for info on Arthur Hansel? Leave a new post and I'll watch this forum.

Thanks,
Frank

Arthur Hansel

Do you know if Arthur was the son of Unico who apparently ran a factory making guitars from about 1922-1932? in Munich for Alfred Schmid nachf. a music distributor etc. ? He (Unico Hensel) also seems to have been involved in piano design and was around 60 years old in 1930. As near as I can tell Arthur Hensel was a sophisticated maker who probably had at least ten years or so experience in a shop before he arrived in Canada. He seems to have worked into the mid-1960's possibly under the name of Douglas for Eaton's. Thanks, Juris Poruks

Arthur Hansel

Hi Juris,

I'll be talking to my mom and aunt later today, I'll ask them.

Frank

Thanks Frank for any

Thanks Frank for any information you can garner. I look forward to future communications. Sincerely, Juris

Arthur Hensel

No new info yet. Mom/aunt can't verify dates. Will try contacts in Germany. I'll post here as I get more info. Frank

Hensel apparently changed

Hensel apparently changed his name to Hansel around the beginning of WWII. The chip-carved slotted headstocks all seem to say "Hensel." I'm pretty sure he arrived in Canada as a Hensel. I've not seen this discussed in this forum hence some confusion. Sincerely, Juris

Hansel Hensel

His name was changed in the Toronto directory of 1936 to Hansell (note the two l's ) from the previous Hensel. I have only seen Hansel with one l on a guitar. Sincerely, Juris

The earliest published

The earliest published reference to Arthur Hensel in Canada I can find is a listing in the Toronto 1933 directory as a "violin maker" at 173 Dundas. Has anyone seen a Hensel/Hansel violin? Sincerely, Juris

Hensel violins

Hi Juris,

I saw one violin, as a child, in Mr Hansels workshop on MacDonald. That's the only one I'm aware of. I'm sure there are more.

It'd difficult to get new info about Arthur Hansel. I've talked with my aunt, Arthur was married to her mother, and she gave me another view on the story. Arthurs marriage to my grandmother ruffled a few feathers in the family. For reasons best kept private.

Juris are you in Canada?

Frank

Hello Frank, Yes, I'm in

Hello Frank, Yes, I'm in Canada. I've been doing some research on the stringed instrument making activities of the R.S. Williams Co. and of course Hensel or Hansel's name comes up. I only know of him as a good guitar maker and am completely unaware of any details of his personal life and character but for what is posted on the internet and any unfounded speculation is probably best left unsaid. I came across a guitar by Unico Hensel of Munich made in the 1920s and was wondered if there is any familial connection which is why I made my initial inquiry. I suppose the directory listing describing Arthur Hensel as a violin maker may be simply a generic term for any stringed instrument maker. If you have any more details of his life and career I'd be grateful if you would share them. Sincerely, Juris P.S. Sorry to be so long-winded. J.

Hi Juris, vaguely recall

Hi Juris, vaguely recall seeing some Hansel violins as a child. It's a hazy memory as that was a long time ago. I've managed to find some of his tools. A former neighbour of his had 8-10 wood planes. I don't know where the guitar jigs got to but I've love to find them. It's getting harder to find info as a lot of people have passed away. I have a ton of photos to dig through when I find some time. Bye for now. Frank

Hansel Hensel

Arthur Hensel changed his name to Hansell (possibly a misprint for Hansel) around 1936 when he was listed in the Toronto directory as a "violin maker" at 149 Mutual. Previously he was listed as Hensel, either an "instrument maker" or initially, in 1933, as a "violin maker." Does this make 1936 the cut-of date for Hensel instruments? I have never seen or heard of a Hensel/Hansel violin. Can anyone post a photo of Mr. Hensel or Hansel?

Arthur Hansel

Hi Juris,

No new info for now. Most of the people with info regarding this subject have passed on. My mom mentioned she had a ton of old letters to look through. I'm assuming some of these letters belonged to my grandparents. I'll post new info here as I come across it.

If anyone can add to this story please feel free to post here.

Sincerely,
Frank

: Is there anyone who could give me a resource site or any information on this fine guitar maker (Arthur Hansel) From what I can gather he hand made by himself about 3 or 4 hundred guitars. Some commisioned for some international artist. There are others looking but the tread has been discontinued. They are very rare guitars and there just isn't too much info out there that I can find. I have a dear old friend who is planning his estate and wants to pass on some history and value of the guitar to his beneficiary and for his own interest as well. The guitar was bought in the 50's and the label states Handmade by Arthur Hensel #203 in 1949. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
: Thanks
: Nancy Ryan
: nwr3@yahoo.com

Nancy, I have a guitar made by Arthur Hansel #207 year 1951. I was wondering if you had found out any new information about the guitars.
Connie

: Is there anyone who could give me a resource site or any information on this fine guitar maker (Arthur Hansel) From what I can gather he hand made by himself about 3 or 4 hundred guitars. Some commisioned for some international artist. There are others looking but the tread has been discontinued. They are very rare guitars and there just isn't too much info out there that I can find. I have a dear old friend who is planning his estate and wants to pass on some history and value of the guitar to his beneficiary and for his own interest as well. The guitar was bought in the 50's and the label states Handmade by Arthur Hensel #203 in 1949. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
: Thanks
: Nancy Ryan
: nwr3@yahoo.com

Guitar R.S. Williams and son

For sale Guitar Guitar Bellevue College of Music London Serial number 032
The-R.S. Williams and sons Co, Limited
431 King St. West Toronto

After more research, it turns out this guitar could have been made anywhere between 1890 and 1928.
Since 1928 was the last year the business was named "R.S. Williams & Sons Co., Toronto",
it had to have been produced before then. I figured it was made in the 1920s but apparently it might be much older .

I've been looking for days and not found a single guitar that looks remotely like this
(it actually looks a lot like an early 1920s Washburn, but this one was made in Toronto by the R.S.
Williams Piano Company .
I know that the company had at least two known Luthiers working for them .

Mine been fixed but I dont know by who !!! and when!!!!!

If you need picture go to my Facebook you will see it on my page

I have #207 dated 1954

I have an Arthur Hansel guitar with number 207 on the label. It's a fine steel string model, very nice sounding.

ARTHUR HAnsel guitars

Hello again! I just noticed after reading my comments that I misspelled Arthur but every thing else is correct.
hand made by Arthur Hansel January 1949 no.205 it's not model no.

Does any know the value of these guitars?

Aurthur HAnsel guitars

hello out there! I HAVE A Aurthur HANSEL IT'S NOT HENSEL My dad bought it from Sears as well in 1949 the label inside is: HAND MADE BY AURTHUR HANSEL JANUARY 1949 NO.205[ NUMBER205] NOT MODEL205

: : Is there anyone who could give me a resource site or any information on this fine guitar maker (Arthur Hansel) From what I can gather he hand made by himself about 3 or 4 hundred guitars. Some commisioned for some international artist. There are others looking but the tread has been discontinued. They are very rare guitars and there just isn't too much info out there that I can find. I have a dear old friend who is planning his estate and wants to pass on some history and value of the guitar to his beneficiary and for his own interest as well. The guitar was bought in the 50's and the label states Handmade by Arthur Hensel #203 in 1949. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
: : Thanks
: : Nancy Ryan
: : nwr3@yahoo.com

Hensel Guitar

I just bought a Arthur Hensel guitar "Hand made" November 1948 # 205. In original aged condition. No cracks just aged.
Beautiful.

arthur hansel guitar

Hello Gerry,was just looking for info on my 1949 number 205 ,almost gave up again since all I could find out is from 2006 then I saw your post .If you don't mind me asking ? how much did you pay for your 48 ? Have you any idea how much they generally sell for? I'm looking to sell mine but have no idea what a fair price would be to ask Can you help me out? or do you anyone who might know .mine has the original finish on the top ,but the sides and back got refinished because the back had a 6-8" crack in it, is has been repaired and re-varnished[back and sides only] neck and top still original top has a cigarete burn beauty mark but that's all, and half the machine heads are different,hoping you can help me out THANK YOU happy picking Warren

Hansel

Interesting to read the posts on Hansel guitars. I also have one, originally bought at the time through Sears, I believe...the label says:

Hand Made
By
Arthur Hansel
November 4, 1946
No 205

John

arthur HANSEL guitar

Hi John has anyone ever found any other info\values for Arthur HANSEL guitars? any idea if there is a Arthur Hensel? who also made guitars ,or is it just that no one can read their label correctly? because my guitar's label is clearly printed Hand made by Arthur Hansel! written by hand is the date {January 1949} printed is no.[number] also hand written 205. any info would be appreciated Thanks Warren

Arthur Hansel

I believe Arthur Hansel passed away in the early 1970's. I'm not sure the exact year. He and my grandmother were married in the early 1960s. They both owned homes on Seaton Street in Toronto's Cabbagetown. Arthur's original workshop was in his house. I know there's pictures around here somewhere.

If anyone is interested I'll see if I can dig up more info? Post a note here and let me know.

Frank

Hensel guitar

I have one with only the name "Hensel" carved across the top of the headstock. Not the "Artist" or any other name as appears on every one that I've seen online. No label inside. Solid headstock, (without the middle carved out) Anyone have an idea what year it might be? Late 40's-early 50's ? Earlier-later?

Hansel Hensel?

Hi Warren, My label is exactly like yours, except for the date (NOVEMBER 4. 1946) of course, and mine also has the same hand written number, 205. The printed ARTHUR HANSEL is clear, with the A in Hansel. Plus, Hansel is inlaid into the head of the guitar in a scrolled script, going from large to smaller letters. The A is very clear there as well.

However, I do see at this site www.jedistar.com/jedistar_vintage_guitar_dating_h1.htm a label clearly showing Arthur Hensel. Also references to Hensel elsewhere, like this site www.thestar.com/entertainment/2011/11/15/murray_mclauchlan_new_tool_yields_tunes.html

I can only speculate, but I can't help to think it is the same Arthur, using two different spellings--perhaps one when working for R. S. Williams and another perhaps on his own. Again, that's pure speculation. But it seems to far of a coincident to think there two people at the same place and time, building similar instruments.

Thanks, John

I own one. Dated October 1951 # 203. Beautiful guitar. "Hand made by Arthur Hansel". To think of all the different players that have strummed and picked on it over the years.. thanks Art! I'll never know you but your craft lives on beyond your years.

: : : Is there anyone who could give me a resource site or any information on this fine guitar maker (Arthur Hansel) From what I can gather he hand made by himself about 3 or 4 hundred guitars. Some commisioned for some international artist. There are others looking but the tread has been discontinued. They are very rare guitars and there just isn't too much info out there that I can find. I have a dear old friend who is planning his estate and wants to pass on some history and value of the guitar to his beneficiary and for his own interest as well. The guitar was bought in the 50's and the label states Handmade by Arthur Hensel #203 in 1949. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
: : : Thanks
: : : Nancy Ryan
: : : nwr3@yahoo.com

There is something weird here about the timeline, I own one that says Handmade by Arthur Hansel september 1946 No.205. If the No.203 is from 1949, how can the No.205 be from 1946??

By the way it's one of the finest sound I heard on accoustic guitars since I play guitar. My grand-father bought it 150$ in the 40's and gave it to me 3 days ago.

I think it would be a great idea to get informations about Hansel's guitar!

For infos: destroyesti@hotmail.com

The guitars might be

The guitars might be numbered 1 through n for each year. When the year changed he might have started numbering at 1 again. E.g. 1946 1 to 205, 1947 1 to 200, 1948 1 to 206, 1949 1 to 205. Just guessing. Frank

: There is something weird here about the timeline, I own one that says Handmade by Arthur Hansel september 1946 No.205. If the No.203 is from 1949, how can the No.205 be from 1946??

: By the way it's one of the finest sound I heard on accoustic guitars since I play guitar. My grand-father bought it 150$ in the 40's and gave it to me 3 days ago.

: I think it would be a great idea to get informations about Hansel's guitar!

: For infos: destroyesti@hotmail.com

Could it be 203 and 205 are model numbers, not serial numbers? My mom has some photos of Arthur stashed somewhere, I'll have to locate them. FM

If anyone is interested I'm considering creating a Wikipedia page about Arthur Hansel. My mom has several photos of Arthur during the period he was married to my grandmother. I'll post a note here if a page is acceptable to Wikipedia. If anyone is interested please post here to let me know. Thanks. Frank

Ant - If you're interested I posted some info about Arthur Hansel above. Frank

Don't know what I did wrong to get those other messages duplicated. Hensel guitars are plentiful around here. I have one and three of my friends have them. There's another in the auction tomorrow and if the price is right I'll have a spare. As with all Canadians it's difficult to get information on Arthur Hensel. All the Artist Hensel guitars here have the gold R. S. Williams label inside. All the guitars sound alike and as good as a D-18 Martin but not valuable as the name is not known.
Fred

: Don't know what I did wrong to get those other messages duplicated. Hensel guitars are plentiful around here. I have one and three of my friends have them. There's another in the auction tomorrow and if the price is right I'll have a spare. As with all Canadians it's difficult to get information on Arthur Hensel. All the Artist Hensel guitars here have the gold R. S. Williams label inside. All the guitars sound alike and as good as a D-18 Martin but not valuable as the name is not known.
: Fred

I own an Artist model, made by Arthur Hensel for that R.S. Williams and Son Store, probably built in the late 1930's or early 1940's... Had to replace the tuners on it probably 15 years ago but it's all original other from that. Its got a wonderful sound, the bass especially is exquisite. Wondering what this thing could be worth nowadays.. Any Idea anyone?

R.S WILLIAMS GUITAR

I have the Guitar Bellevue serial number 032

Guitar Bellevue College of Music London
The-R.S. Williams and sons Co, Limited
431 King St. West Toronto

I wanted to sell it it is a very nice guitar

I have picture of it

RS Williams guitar

Mario - Are you selling your Williams guitar? If so please let me know how much, and send a couple of pictures if you can.
Thanks

: : Don't know what I did wrong to get those other messages duplicated. Hensel guitars are plentiful around here. I have one and three of my friends have them. There's another in the auction tomorrow and if the price is right I'll have a spare. As with all Canadians it's difficult to get information on Arthur Hensel. All the Artist Hensel guitars here have the gold R. S. Williams label inside. All the guitars sound alike and as good as a D-18 Martin but not valuable as the name is not known.
: : Fred

: I own an Artist model, made by Arthur Hensel for that R.S. Williams and Son Store, probably built in the late 1930's or early 1940's... Had to replace the tuners on it probably 15 years ago but it's all original other from that. Its got a wonderful sound, the bass especially is exquisite. Wondering what this thing could be worth nowadays.. Any Idea anyone?

I just bought one for 150 bucks and it was owned by a great grandfather! I don't think I'd sell it cause the sound is really warm and clear. You'd swear the thing has a speaker in it lol. No, not a resonator model, an artist hensel , rs williams spruce top. I was researching and Maple sides? The maple definately would be the reason for the cannon sound in a 00 size body. These are hand made gems with solid tonewood and cool inlay around the tone hole.I need to find a luthier as old as this guitar and i will set it up nice.Pickin and grinnin ............

: : Don't know what I did wrong to get those other messages duplicated. Hensel guitars are plentiful around here. I have one and three of my friends have them. There's another in the auction tomorrow and if the price is right I'll have a spare. As with all Canadians it's difficult to get information on Arthur Hensel. All the Artist Hensel guitars here have the gold R. S. Williams label inside. All the guitars sound alike and as good as a D-18 Martin but not valuable as the name is not known.
: : Fred

: I own an Artist model, made by Arthur Hensel for that R.S. Williams and Son Store, probably built in the late 1930's or early 1940's... Had to replace the tuners on it probably 15 years ago but it's all original other from that. Its got a wonderful sound, the bass especially is exquisite. Wondering what this thing could be worth nowadays.. Any Idea anyone?

I too have a Arthur Hensel. Hand made Expressly for The R.S. Williams & Sons Co. Ltd. Where would I look to see how old it is?

I also have an Artist made (1920's ?) for RS Williams
in Toronto. It is a 3/4 size palour guitar with a split
ribbon back, ribbon inlay on the sides and has kluson type
tuners with a metal tailpiece. The only similar guitars
I can compare this to is the early Washburn palour guitars.

My question is this: Did Arthur Hensel really make all those guitars and not leave any trace of where his workshop
was in Toronto. In order to produce the volume he produced
he would have had to have employees working for him or
did he just contract out the jobs. Remember a lot of
early guitars were made by Washburn and Harmony.

I don't mind being wrong on this and I apologize if I
offended anyone, but he did produce quite a bit of
volume for one person.

: My question is this: Did Arthur Hensel really make all those guitars and not leave any trace of where his workshop
: was in Toronto.

I believe his first workshop was on Seaton Street in Cabbagetown. His second workshop was in the basement of 55 MacDonald Avenue in Scarborough. He shared the house with my grandmother.

Frank

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.