pacific guitars

Posted by garry stoyles on Mon, 08/08/05 - 07:09:09.
In Reply to Maton Guitars

howdy everyone, i have a couple of old guitars called pacific. A large body one called a tzagani, and a small hawaian. apparantly they were made in melb in the forties . Any connection to maton? does anyone have one or any info on them. they make great slide guitars. cheers- GARRY

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Pacific

I have a Pacific. I bought it in the old 'Tin Shed' junk shop in Lithgow many years ago for $25. It has the (owners?) name pressed into the back of it with a ball point pen, 'Ted Allen, Wang' ( Wallerawang) I refertted it (twice!) and made a new bridge and replaced the string thingy to the tail block with a german one. I just restrung it with GHS true medium rollerwound nickel electrics and it has a Bartolini hanging off a replica tortioshell scratchplate with no electrics and straight into my MusicMan for a searing crunch and honky feedback or clear bellike tones with their own reverb due to the size of the body. My first plywood acoustic / electric! AJ97OGQ

Tzigani Guitar

Hi Garry, I owned a Tzigani Large body from 1959 - 1982-3. It was pretty wrecked when I was given it from my father who owned it since new and according to him that particular guitar was made in Tasmania. It was rosewood FB with solid spruce top. I can't remember the material from the body but it was I believe a mahogany colour (when I had it re-sanded and professionally lacquered). It was a beautiful instrument that was so loud when played it would drown out even the best guitars of the same style. Unfortunately as a budding muso I had very little idea of it's real worth and swapped it for a 1965 Fender strat. (needed that sound) I have no idea as to where it might be now as that was back in the good 'ol days when music was music. If I could find the one I used to own I would buy it back in a flash!!!

I've got a little guitar I

I've got a little guitar I found in a shed whilst helping move a piano the other day, it says Hawaii club 'Made in Usa' on the head, but apparantly (According to some info I found somewhere on the internet) Hawaii clubs are pacifics? anyway, it's small black and with a beautiful tiger sunburst, right now it isn't working since the bridge ripped open after I had strings on it for a night (Don't worry, I'll get it fixed) But yeah, any info anyone?

Pacific Tahiti Guitar

Hi, I have a Pacific Tahiti guitar and I am unsure of its value but am looking to sell does anyone know anything about them? Its old and probably needs work If you're interested I 'll send you some pics. Email me or phone me 0447671898

Pacific Viceroy

I recently repaired my little Pacific Viceroy. It has a nice, woody tone that sounds a little battered to go with its appearance. It's missing the original tailpiece unfortunately (my younger self stupidly lost it...) and I've replaced the machine heads as well. Here's what it sounds and looks like - http://youtu.be/Xko7XwkJ824 I've always wanted a Pacific Commander guitar. They look great. The trouble with Pacific guitars is that they were cheaply manufactured and the wood is not great quality. I installed a piezo electric pickup inside mine and when I made a hole in side for the socket I couldn't find my drill but I could find a drill bit. I tried holding the drill bit and drilling by hand and to my surprise it was like drilling through a biscuit. The wood just crumbled that easily. Apparently there were a lot of them in the 40s but not much have survived due to how fragile they are (I've read similar things about Stella guitars from America, they had a good sound though.)

Pacific Motuiti Guitar

I had an old guitar which my mother bought me secondhand in 1967. It had the name "Pacific Motuiti" The sweet melodious tone it produced cannot be compared to any other guitar that I have played. I had left this guitar in my home in Jaffna, the northern part of Sri Lanka when I came to Colombo the Capital of Sri Lanka to work. This guitar was a victim of the recent war that prevailed in the North of Sri Lanka and somewhere in the mid nintees I lost this guitar. Now I have two guitars at home, a Chinese made "Fighter" classical guitar and a friend's Korean made "Cort" semi acoustic guitar. Both guitars produce fantastic sound BUT not the kind my "Pacific Motuiti" produced. I still miss my old guitar. I will love to hear from other players of "Pacific Motuiti" guitars.

pacific motuiti

I have a little Pacific Motuiti. It's small with a dark finish and a white pickguard and little stenciled "butterfly" fret markers. I believe the whole guitar is mahogany and it has the sweetest most mellow tone of any guitar I've owned.

Re: pacific guitars

I recently purchased a Pacific Commander in Hobart - labeled 1946, a large-bodied Arch-Top acoustic with a Bakelite bridge! I was amazed by the warmth of the tone. It's battered as hell but sounds amazing. Needs a fret-dress badly, but sounds perfect for the 30s style guitar I play. They were an Australian company, some were made in NZ too I believe. I know nothing else bout them - probably aussie wood. cheers!

I have a Pacific Commander, big bodied archtop. great guitars its a shame they're not as well known as maton

GARRY,I have a Pacific Tzagani that needs a bit of work.
I visited the Cargills in Seaford Victoria to look into getting it repaired,I spoke to James Cargill[Cargill Custom Guitars]son of Merv Cargill who,as i believe,built the Pacific Tzagani around 1956. James carries on the work of Merv from the garrage of of his home in Seaford.Exelent operation. It's great to hear of someone else having a Tzagani.
I did enough to get my Tzagani playable and even with the damage some hippy did to it,it still sounded Great.Tone Tone and more Tone. I will be taking it to James to get it repaired properly but at the time of the first visit i wasn't prepared to part with it for the time required.
I hope your Tzagani is in better shape than mine was when i RESCUED it.
Alan Dove.

Pacific

Wow thats so strange I jumped on the net as I have a Pacific commander and I was wondering if there was any info, it to is a bit battered but sounds great, or it did, needs a bit of work Alan I was at Cargill's last week getting some work done on my ibanez I was in the driveway talking to Merv about hi Jeep, when I left I said Dam to myself as I meant to ask the boys if the had ever heard of Pacific Guitars, and there I was not 5 minutes ago talking to the guy who may have built it ?!!!

: GARRY,I have a Pacific Tzagani that needs a bit of work.
: I visited the Cargills in Seaford Victoria to look into getting it repaired,I spoke to James Cargill[Cargill Custom Guitars]son of Merv Cargill who,as i believe,built the Pacific Tzagani around 1956. James carries on the work of Merv from the garrage of of his home in Seaford.Exelent operation. It's great to hear of someone else having a Tzagani.
: I did enough to get my Tzagani playable and even with the damage some hippy did to it,it still sounded Great.Tone Tone and more Tone. I will be taking it to James to get it repaired properly but at the time of the first visit i wasn't prepared to part with it for the time required.
: I hope your Tzagani is in better shape than mine was when i RESCUED it.
: Alan Dove.
no-my=tzigani is pretty beaten up but does sound good

pacific guitare

Hi was wondering the price of a pacific Rio Grande guitar with case excellent condition. as i have 1 could you pls let me know

: : GARRY,I have a Pacific Tzagani that needs a bit of work.
: : I visited the Cargills in Seaford Victoria to look into getting it repaired,I spoke to James Cargill[Cargill Custom Guitars]son of Merv Cargill who,as i believe,built the Pacific Tzagani around 1956. James carries on the work of Merv from the garrage of of his home in Seaford.Exelent operation. It's great to hear of someone else having a Tzagani.
: : I did enough to get my Tzagani playable and even with the damage some hippy did to it,it still sounded Great.Tone Tone and more Tone. I will be taking it to James to get it repaired properly but at the time of the first visit i wasn't prepared to part with it for the time required.
: : I hope your Tzagani is in better shape than mine was when i RESCUED it.
: : Alan Dove.
: no-my=tzigani is pretty beaten up but does sound good

Hi Garry & Alan, I also have a Tzagani, playable but in need of repair. I intend to take to the Cargills sometime as well. My guitar teacher in the 1950's had the commander, arch top f hole. These guitars were sold for 49 pounds at the time.

Pacific Guitars

Merry used to tell me about Pacific guitars. He did make them and when I took a 1930's Gretsch archtop acoustic to him for repair, he likened it to the old Pacifics and told me to keep an eye open for them on (then) the Trading Post.

I see one for sale at Real Guitars at the moment 8 November, 2014.

Whatever Merv says, you can count on it as being 100%. I used to sit in "The Garage" for extended periods when I would take a guitar in and just listen to him talk.

I haven't seen Merv for a few years. I hope he is well. I tried to get Australian Story to dedicate a program to Merv, as much Australian music was written on guitars he made a joy to play.

Simon Binks

guitar

approx. 60 year old pacific commander for sale ( what offers )

Sounds interesting - do you

Sounds interesting - do you have some pictures you can post a link to?

Pictures

Here are the front and back pictures sent in by the original poster

60 year old pacific commander front

60 year old pacific commander back

Pacific Commander sunburst offer

hi there!

that commander in the sunburst is gorgeous!

i don't think i've seen a better headstock in any other guitar, great art deco style.

what price would you ask for it?

I'd be happy to pay between $500-600

if you'd like to speak more about it, email me at bur4077@hotmail.com

thanks!
Tim

Pacific Guitars

Hi All
I have a Pacific Guitar acoustic, ladder braced, painted inlays and scratchplate . Set up for slide playing , no guitar ever sounded better. I think it's the aged wood. I'll try to add a photo

im interested in purchasing a pacific
anyone keen to sell?
cheers,
carl.

Re: Pacific commander Guitar.

Hi, I have a Pacific Commander Guitar, showing signs of age it still plays beautifully.
I have it for sale on Gumtree if up I wanted to take a look.
Regards,
Rick.

Pacific Guitar you might like

Hi Carl,

I have an original Pacific Viceroy - It's from the 40's and is in really good condition. It's been in a case all it's life and been played very little.

If you're interested I 'll send you some pics. Email me if you are or phone me 0435 453 389

Thanks,
Julian

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.