Westbrook guitar

Posted by Hayley on Thu, 01/09/03 - 19:18:39.

I have a westbrook guitar and i'm wondering the same about everyone else. How much it might be worth? So if anyone even knows anything just let me know
kiss kiss
hug hug
Thanks

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Westbrook guitar

: I have a westbrook guitar and i'm wondering the same about everyone else. How much it might be worth? So if anyone even knows anything just let me know

I think they're worth about

I think they're worth about $40 max. now.

i bought one in the mid 90's. bought it in a pawn shop for about $60. it has 4 pickups that have almost no output and a bunch of switches a knobs. the neck is really thick. i know nothing else about them.

Now, here's where it gets tricky. There are several versions of Westbrook guitars. The domesticaly made ones were made in the same factory that did a lot of the Oscar and Schmidt family of guitars, Stella, Washburn and that family. Apparantly some time during the fifties Oscar and Schmid started farming both the Stella and Westbrook guitars out to the far East, primarily Japan. Now, they aren't bad guitars, they are actually a lot of fun if you string them with silk and steel strings and if you play slide on them (they have a pretty "rustic" sound). If you want a hint on what they sound like check out some of the Leadbelly or Son House recordings. Son House used a lot of "open tunings" and got a pretty ratty tone out of his guitar, heck, it's plywood so it's not going sound really sweet like a nice Martin small body O, OO, or OM from the same era but they do have their own charm.
Now, some one has posted a blurb about a Korean made version, I don't know anything about them. I have a feeling that some one bought the name like some of the really funky "Ivar Johnson" guitars that were produced.

: I have a westbrook guitar and i'm wondering the same about everyone else. How much it might be worth? So if anyone even knows anything just let me know
: kiss kiss
: hug hug
: Thanks

Re: Westbrook Guitar

My dad has a Westbrook as well (he doesn't know when he got it...), and it currently only has 3 strings due to overuse. When I was 10, I got an elastic string from a price tag and fashioned another string. We're just tuning it like a ukelele. Peace and love and hope!

Value - Not much - The real deal is if you have a brand that is pretty much unheard of you essentially have nothing and you are stuck with it.

I see one on CL today (the jazz man) for $55.
Try a Franciscan or Kremona (or Cremona), as I have two...they are very reasonable and terrific!

Maybe you can work out a deal with jazzman if you
are in the Sac area. His # 916 928-1397

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.