Re: Sonic Flood Before the Throne of God Above

Posted by Beulah Dillon on Wed, 10/20/04 - 11:46:58.

: : Does anyone know the background from this song or where I can find it out? Thanks.

: Mrs. Ballard, et al-
: Check out www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/e/beforetg.htm

: The text was written in 1861 (Yes, the year which began Abraham Lincoln's first term as President of the United States).
: Vicki Cook's wonderful tune- which has resurrected the text -dates, of course, from 1997. It has a Celtic flavor which mirrors Mrs. Bancroft's own heritage.

: By the way, in the hymnal, HYMNS OF GRACE AND GLORY, published by Ambassador Emerald International [427 Wade Hampton Blvd; Greenville SC 29609-4233], Mrs. Bancroft's name is given as "Charitie L. de Chenez." In that hymnal the text is set to the LM tune, "Warrenton" by Ralph Harrison (1748-1810)

: The text itself is therefore in Public Domain.
: The TUNE IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT and may not be used without receiving permission from the copyright holder. (It is covered by a CCLI license.)

: Grateful for my great High Priest-
: Jim Lowery

Charitie Lees Smith was born in Clogher, Northern Ireland on June 21st 1841. Her father was rector of Aghalurcher Parish from 1838 to 1867. He moved to Omagh, County Tyrone, in 1867 and was rector of the parish of Drumragh from 1867 to 1875 when he died. He was responsible for the plans to rebuild the Omagh Church after the dis-establishment. Charitie married Arthur E. Bancroft on 21st October 1869. The Omagh Parish records are held in the Public Record Office for N. Ireland and I can give you any information you require from them. What a wonderful hymn!
Beulah Dillon, Omagh, N. Ireland

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Before the Throne of God Above in German

If anyone is interested, we now have the newly-translated text of "Before the Throne" in German. It should be released in October in a new songbook. For information contact the above address and include the song title in the subject line.

I know this is a really old thread, but I did want to point out that the tune Vicki uses is actually from the 1600's. She, I'm sure, has set the harmony and arranged, but the tune itself is one of the oldest in hymnals today.

The lyics can also be sung to the tune for "Sweet Hour of Prayer" SWEET HOUR L.M.D.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.