Re: dating a twin reverb

Posted by Mark Schacknow (via moderator) on Sat, 01/01/05 - 18:06:40.

: I recently bought a Twin Reverb, 100 watts; it works well, even if aesthetics are a bit ruined.
: This is the very first time that I own a vintage amp.
: I don’t know how to date it.
: I’ve been told it is from the late Seventies, about ’78 or ’79, but since it’s a 100 watts it should not have been made prior to 1977, isn’it?
: On the rear, right, there’s this code: A629916
: About the JBL speakers:
: right:D120F 092577-A 34601
: left: D120F 092577-A 34654
: Are they originals?
: Logo: it is w/o tail.
: Inside the amp (you can see it from rear), there’s a little paper, marked Fender, with this written on:
: Manufactured under the following patents: 2817708, DES.192859. Does this mean something?
: Thanks a lot.

:
:

I just got the Twin Reverb that was custom built by Fender for the famous guitar player James "Lucky" Ward, now deceased, he requested that Fender put a 90-208 voltage switch where the power outlet would be and had the two orange D120F signature speakers installed. To the best of my understanding, this is a special design from Fender for pros in the business that travel over the world. When I repaired the amp for Lucky before he died, he told me that the amp was 168 lbs. I have been working on tube amps for 40 years and I've never heard an amp sound this good.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

: : I recently bought a Twin Reverb, 100 watts; it works well, even if aesthetics are a bit ruined.
: : This is the very first time that I own a vintage amp.
: : I don’t know how to date it.
: : I’ve been told it is from the late Seventies, about ’78 or ’79, but since it’s a 100 watts it should not have been made prior to 1977, isn’it?
: : On the rear, right, there’s this code: A629916
: : About the JBL speakers:
: : right:D120F 092577-A 34601
: : left: D120F 092577-A 34654
: : Are they originals?
: : Logo: it is w/o tail.
: : Inside the amp (you can see it from rear), there’s a little paper, marked Fender, with this written on:
: : Manufactured under the following patents: 2817708, DES.192859. Does this mean something?
: : Thanks a lot.

: :
: :

: I just got the Twin Reverb that was custom built by Fender for the famous <font style="color:black;background-color:ffff66">guitar</font> player <font style="color:black;background-color:A0ffff">James</font> "<font style="color:black;background-color:99ff99">Lucky</font>" <font style="color:black;background-color:ff9999">Ward</font>, now deceased, he requested that Fender put a 90-208 voltage switch where the power outlet would be and had the two orange D120F signature speakers installed. To the best of my understanding, this is a special design from Fender for pros in the business that travel over the world. When I repaired the amp for <font style="color:black;background-color:99ff99">Lucky</font> before he died, he told me that the amp was 168 lbs. I have been working on tube amps for 40 years and I've never heard an amp sound this good.

Who posted this post aboput lUCKYS AMP?? Please get in touch with me.. Allen_vernon@hotmail.com

I am trying to find info on Lucky ward ..... can you help me? How did you get the amp and where are you? I would love to show you some of the things I have from "lucky" and maby ask some questions. Please reply!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.