Re: Ovation Anniversary Edition

Advertisement
Posted by Steve Killick on Wed, 06/05/02 - 20:47:49.

I purchased a new Ovation 1657-7 (model number, not serial number) in 1978 in California. I loved that guitar and played till the frets were gone. I was never able to find any information on it when I wanted to sell it about 5 years ago. Other than worn frets, it was in superb condition and I would up selling it on consignment in a mucsic store in Madison Wisconsin around 1996. As I recall I originaly paid $650.00 for it and sold it for $400.00.
I hope this helps you a little. It was an extremely rare guitar as only 150 were made. 10 for every year Ovation had been in business at the time. At least as I recall.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Ovation Anniversary Edition Model 1657

Ovation Anniversary Edition Model 1657

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Ovation Anniversary Edition Model 1657

: I also own an Anniversary. I bought it new in 1978. Over the years I have used it for various music styles from Bluegrass, Country, and Contemporary Christian music. Over the years I have not heard a better sounding guitar at any price. It is apparently worth what someone is willing to pay. I have been offered as much as 4K and been offered a Martin D28 for it. Maybe the reality is only $400 or so, but to me it is priceless. My children may sell it for Pennies when I am gone, but the enjoyment
I get from playing it and the curiosity of others wanting to know what it is and where to get one is why I still have it today. I have the original book and price tag from when I bought it.

Here is message board type website about 1657 anniversary models.
http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

again, my ovation is in top condition, no wearing, just 2 new strings. i have a hard time believing that this guitar is only worth $400.00. it makes no sense to me.

: again, my ovation is in top condition, no wearing, just 2 new strings. i have a hard time believing that this guitar is only worth $400.00. it makes no sense to me.

This is because it is worth considerably more. I am a guitar salesman specializing in vintage Martin,Yamaha and Ovation models. I would sell this guitar in fair to good condition upwards of 1500.-2000. Don't let everything you hear from those obviously not qualified upset or decieve you.This person apparently has no real understandin of what a quality vintage instrument sells for now. Until recently his 'opinion' may have been right,but the last few years have seen this guitar treble in resale value and very likely will keep rising.

Ovation 1657-7

I just posted the last comment about selling my Ovation 1657-7 'The Anniversary.' My email is: { donaldlee@windstream.net}.

Ovation 1657-7

I woulld like to sell my Ovation 'The Anniversary.' If you are interested, please contact me. Thanks!!! :)

Oviation Anniversary

Do you have pictures?...how is condition? How much are you asking for it?

Guys, You are/nt going to believe this but I have a 1657 that is "Mint" condition. My mother bought it for me new and I have had it put up all these years. I would bet that this guitar out of the 150 made, That it is in the top 3 if not the best of shape. I will be glad to send anyone pics of this guitar. Like I said, You won't believe it. This is a collectors dream.

in 1982, my father got a brand new ovation 1657 from the plant in CT. Although not for sale, it is a great guitar, and if anyone has anydoubys about it, plug it in. best guitar i ever played

I have an Ovation 1657 Anniversary edition also. A local guitar shop told me that it was rare and that it was worth about $1700. I don't play it often enough and the steel strings hurt my fingers. I put it on consignment there, but they couldn't sell it. Does anyone know what it is really worth?

Where is that store? They gave total bs! It was never worth $1700. Its MSRP was $890-990 back in the early 80s. Many of these were sold for around $400 (excellent condition) on eBay.

: I have an Ovation 1657 Anniversary edition also. A local guitar shop told me that it was rare and that it was worth about $1700. I don't play it often enough and the steel strings hurt my fingers. I put it on consignment there, but they couldn't sell it. Does anyone know what it is really worth?

I am currently trying to buy a seventies "legend" or "balladeer" type ovation with deep body - just like the 1657 anniversary or the older 1612. Through research on the web I found the following link which might be useful for you guys:
http://www.ifrance.com/dpuech/ovation/identification.htm
good luck
Stefan

: I have an 1978 anniversary model 1657 and was looking for more info on it as I've never found another until now. I bought mine in around 1997 in New Jersey it has an ebony fret board,gold tunings keys, carved truss cover and bridge, mother of pearl Ovation inlay. I don't normally go for Ovations but this one sounds warm with great action. It's my work guitar. I've used it for well over 500 shows and still keeps ticking. It would be good to know how many where made if it were 150 then that explains why it's so hard to get info. Ovation should post it to their website.

Ovation Anniversary Edition

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Ovation Anniversary Edition

I picked up one of these at a store in Boulder about 5 years ago. Certainly one of the sweetest guitars I have played. Would quite like to find out more about it for future reference. Quite interesting if there are only a hundred or so around!

Ovation Anniversary Edition

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Ovation Anniversary Edition

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.