Re: GIBSON NOUVEAU

Advertisement
Posted by Pete on Sun, 07/21/02 - 23:24:30.

Here's a recent estimate:

"Nouveau NV6TM 1986-1987, A line of Gibson flat tops with imported parts assembled and finished in the US. Acc. Dreadnaught bond maple body." (Vintage Guitar Price Guide) $350 to $500 in excellent condition.

Now my guitar is not an NV-6TM, it is an NV-6R. I'm not great with wood but I am guessing based on what I saw in the store that this has a mahogony back (dreadnought) and a spruce top.

Today I went to the guitar store and played the J-45 re-issue as well as the Sheryl Crow Hummingbird. I'll admit, there is some reason behind the adoration of real Gibsons. But I must know, what is so darned inferior about the Japanese parts? It sure doesn't sound inferior to me. It seemed just like the Hummingbird.

Here's what I've gleaned from this site:
NV-6 is the overall name of the 6 string. (Stuart Wyatt quoting Orion Blue Book)
NV-12 is the overall name of the 12 string. (Bruce Weiner )
NVJ-N is the archtop (justin)
NV-6TM is a maple guitar. (Vintage Guitar Price Guide)
NV-6R appears to be magony and spruce. (me)
Somebody bought one for $100 with case, but wouldn't sell it for $500 today unless he were starving. Stage musicians do not have second thoughts bringing it out on stage (three different reviewers said this). And Orion recommends $180 used retail while Vintage highballs a mint condition maple back at $350 - $500.

All in all, if you have one, don't sell it. First of all because you'll never find its like again. But secondly because the books have no idea how great a guitar it is.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

NV6TM

I have the NV6TM. (#7830266) I purchased it new in Arlington, WA. in 1987 for $600. I have read on the various sites that the TM model has Tortoise binding. Mine is a blond fiddle back maple body with the "Gibson Nouveau" open book head stock. This guitar plays beautifully with great tone and volume. I have owned several "True Gibson" guitars and my NV6 sounds as nice, looks as nice, and plays as nice as any I have ever had. I will never part with it. I saw one exactly like mine on Sam Ash for $850 two years ago. If you find one, grab it.

Re: GIBSON NOUVEAU

What I was meaning to post .. sorry!

It's rosewood. NV-6R is rosewood back and sides, not mahogony.

My guitar measures 15 3/4 at the lower bout, which I suppose is an acceptable size to call a dreadnought, but it doesn't have that midrange muddiness that a 16 inch dreadnought typically has. I think in the new century we're calling this a concert or orchestra model.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.