Cortez Guitars

Advertisement
Posted by John Holliday on Fri, 03/04/05 - 12:42:05.

I dug out my old Cortez Guitar the other day and found it in almost perfect shape after nearly thirty years in a guitar case. It's a six string acoustical and I was told, when I bought it at a music store, that it was a copy of the Gibson Hummingbird. It has a red body, no knicks or scratches and a lot of mother of pearl in-lay.
How would I go about finding out how much it might be worth?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

cortez acoustic model # cf-120

made in japan.....only have partial serial # due to age..... plays and sounds great....research on the web is proving to be futile and frustrating, any help/information would be greatly appreciated.... thanks

cortez j6600

I came across a cortez j6600.
I took it to guitar center to get some info.
They acted like they had never heard of it.
All I was told that the top look gibsonish.
Any help on this forum would be great.

Cortez Gull series

Does anyone know if Cortez made a resonator guitar? Bought it about 20 years ago at a pawn shop.

Cortez Guitar

I have recently came across a Cortez 12 String in flawless condition. Even on the neck it has Cortez. Its Model number is 970-12. I have not seen anything on this particular model at all. Cortez is the only name other that than the fact is was made in Japan. Does anyone know anything else about this? I have looked everyone for info on it.

Cortez Western

Hi there,
that's right they are way under priced and if you got on keep them it's worth. I bought one like the one what Mitch describes on E-bay in Germany for around 300$ and the seller wrote that Cortez actually was working for Martin in the 60s and opened up his own business. I found out that this was not true actually they where made in Japan and have been a copy of the Martin acoustics. Read http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_Cortez_guitar
Mine sound great and I would be stupid to sell it under a 1000$. I have been playing a lot of acoustics and none of them sound so clear and full than this one. You can easy compare it with a Martin.
I will keep it
Peter

I have a cortez with the

I have a cortez with the model number C210 anyone know anything?

12 String Cortez from 1970's

I have this old 12 string Cortez guitar that I purchased new in 1976. I can't believe how good this guitar sounds yet today. I have no idea how much it is worth today, probably not a lot (I didn't pay much for it - think guitar and case ran $139). What I don't understand is why they are not worth more money - the sound is unbelievable - nice tone/ring to it. I still have the same strings on it as well. I know...wow.

12 string

do you want to sell it, if so, how much?
thanks, ted

Cortez Guitar

I have a Cortez Guitar Model # 4202.....anyone know its value....ty

cortez guitar

I bought a Les Paul copy Cortez at the flea market for $40 and I fixed a tone knob and put new strings for like $20 and it plays great! A bud of mine has a real Les Paul and says he cannot tell the difference at all. You know a lot of name brands charge alot just for the name. I'm keeping this guitar! I played a concert with it and I plan to play some more and I want people to say, "Hey ,what's that guitar brand? It's not a Les Paul but it sounds just as good!" ROCK ON MY MUSICAL COMRADES!

Cortez Acoustic Guitar

Hey guys,
I have come across a Cortez Guitar that I dug out from the attic.
And was wondering how much it would go for now.

"Made in Japan for C.A COTZ JR"
Model Num: 500c
serial Num 1914

I have looked everywhere for a price list and yet nothing, i was wondering if any of you could help?
Cheers

cortez guitar

I found a vintage guitar catalog and it had the cortez les paul copy electric made in japan at about 350 bucks.

Cortez J-6000 maybe

I think I have a J-6000 but there there is no sticker inside of it to identify it or the model and serial number. Everything looks the same to all pictures I have found online to the J-6000 with only two differences, the head stock and the way the fretboard looks. The headstocks online show the manufacturer name going vertical were mine is horizontal and I have dots on my fretboard instead of the squares, everything else is exactly the same, woods inlays, etc. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is a newer version? I know they made that version in 1969-70 and were called "Lawsuit Guitars". I thought Cortez closed up shop after that and they became Cort. However I noticed someone said they made guitars up until 1986.

i bought my j6000 in 1985

i bought my j6000 in 1985 and have it today! its a great sounding guitar,hold onto it. it will hold its own against the best on the market.

Cortez Flying V

i have a Cortez Flying V. serial number 017911. says made in japan. bolt-on neck. it is a dark cherry wood. original electronics. new tunings keys. a little dinged up but still sounds really good! how much could this be worth?

They are still made today

They changed the name to Cort. There is a website that shows all the current versions.

Cortez Gull series bass guitar

I have a Cortez Gull electric bass that has been a great instrument for me for many, many years. I purchased it from a wholesale distributor when I used to sell instruments in my retail store. I'll have to do some investigating to see how old it is. Would be interested to know how much it is worth. May have to sell even though I would rather not.

Cortez Gull bass

Hi, I was searching around google and came across your old post. DO you still have the bass and are willing to sell it? I had one but it's been long gone. Just thought I'd ask, thanks for your time. Mike (Illinois)

Cortez Gull Bass

Hi, Mike
Yes, I do still have the bass. And I believe I have the original case - would have to do some checking. I've had mixed emotions about selling it, but would not rule it out completely. If I do have the case, what would be a fair price in your opinion?

Hi, I emailed you

Hi, I emailed you directly....BTW, If there's no case, that's OK with me

Cortez Gull bass

Sorry, but I haven't received the email yet.

Maybe it doesn't work as a

Maybe it doesn't work as a reply thru this site, E me your email address, Mine is brtbik@yahoo.com

Cortez LP

I recently bought a Cortez Les Paul copy from a "lefty" who claimed it was playable but not for him. When I got it I found out he was a Lefty because the frets were re-crowned to 1/32" and the bridge saddles were so messed up it was impossible to play past 7th or 8th fret. So I took it apart, re-fretted and fixed the saddles, soldered the neck pickup tone wire that was unsoldered and out of curiosity flipped the pickups just to check - a pair of "Patent applied for" humbuckers! The guitar feels and plays great and I can finally put my 1969 Gibson Les Paul Gold top Deluxe to my investment vault. The only think I'm not sure of is at least approximate year of manufacturing since they are two different styles of Cortez inlay on the headstock and I believe mine is older than those with the "t" being totally different. I'll post the pic of the headstock after I find which computer I saved it in

cortez guitars we really need a website please help

i have been thinking about building a small site devoted to cortez guitars were we can compile as much info as we can before its lost for good there seems to be so very little info out there on cortez guitars its crazy if you have any factual information pertaining to cortez guitars please send it to me at bx313x@yahoo.com please site were or how you came about the information also looking for pictures of your cortez please include model and serial number as well as any info you have about the guitar including were or how you obtained it i cant do this with out help from other cortez owners thanks and please re post were applicable pictures and information may be posted on the website credit will be given to sender

Re: Cortez Guitars

: I dug out my old Cortez Guitar the other day and found it in almost perfect shape after nearly thirty years in a guitar case. The model is G 120. What would it be worth in todays market.

: : I dug out my old Cortez Guitar the other day and found it in almost perfect shape after nearly thirty years in a guitar case. The model is G 120. What would it be worth in todays market.
man I have one of these and have only found one thing related specifically to this model.I think it was on craigslist for 55 $.It looked brand new where mine looks 30 years old but clean. Good luck.

I'm not sure how to find out how much it is worth unfortunately. I recently bought a classical cortez in flawless condition for a hundred dollars. It is a beautiful handcrafted guitar. The tuning machines are gold with etched details all over them. I put new nylon strings on it and I play it more than my $1000 martin. It sounds amazing and a guitar like this to me is worth every bit of 100 dollars, however i wouldn't sell it for 500 dollars. The value of a guitar varies but if you know what you are looking at and you know how to examine the different properties of a guitar than you can put your own price on it. Do a little research and talk to someone who can look at it and critique it with a professional eye. They stopped making cortez guitars in 1986 so the value of them may be increasing. Best advice I can give you without seeing it or playing it is: Don't sell it for less than 300 hundred dollars unless you're hurting for cash.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.