can't find any info on Multi-kord pedal steel guitar

Advertisement
Posted by Bryce Austin on Tue, 05/23/00 - 11:45:57.

I have ran acrossed a pedal steel guitar that my neighbor played as a kid. They say he was real good and I can find it any where on the net. It was made by Harlin Bros. Indpls, Ind. and has Multi-Kord wrote on it. Can you possibly help me on this matter. We are looking to restore it. Thank you very much and any help would be very much appreciated.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Multi-Kord: 6 String, 4 pedal, single neck

Bought it in 2006. Never played it as I left the country and stored it. Now would like to but the strings that came on it are old and I fear they'll snap if I try to tune it which I don't know how to on a MK. I would like to know what type of strings to get for my MK. Some people say you have to buy them individually depending on what tuning and stress load will be placed on each string, but this isn't a traditional pedal steel and I know that when I was taking lessons all those years ago, you could buy a set of strings for these instruments.

Also, if anyone has any information on how to tune it, I'd be willing to pay for a good copy of an original document. These are great instruments. My instructor (Oahu method) had a son who played one. Since then (late 50s, early 60s) haven't seen many other than on eBay.

Thank you for reading my entreaty.

Allen

I found a Multi-kord pedal steel guitar In my closet I didn't re

I found a Multi-kord pedal steel guitar In my closet I didn't re

This popular thread has been given its own page : I found a Multi-kord pedal steel guitar In my closet I didn't re

Re: can't find any info on Multi-kord pedal steel guitar

: I have ran acrossed a pedal steel guitar that my neighbor played as a kid. They say he was real good and I can find it any where on the net. It was made by Harlin Bros. Indpls, Ind. and has Multi-Kord wrote on it. Can you possibly help me on this matter. We are looking to restore it. Thank you very much and any help would be very much appreciated.
Where can you get parts for six string multi-kord steel?

I just picked up an 8 string dual neck 4 pedal Multi-Kord. I'd sure like to hear from anyone else owning such a beast. Any suggestions on weak points and proper maintenance? This is my first pedal steel.

For anyone interested, I inherited an 8-string, six-pedal Multi-Kord pedal steel from my Great Aunt Gaila Medley along with several other great instruments. She always called it a hawaiin guitar. This is a fold up model and it is very complete and original with the original tweed case and all of the original manuals and sales brochure that have all of the tuning information in them.

If you're interested in obtaining a copy, please e-mail. Mine has had two cables replaced with some sort of hardware chain, but other than that just needs to be cleaned up, serviced and tuned. It works just fine, but I'm not a steel player. I've been playing guitar for 25 years and 15 years professionally, and hope someday to find the time to make some good music on this old Multi-Kord. In the mean time, I thought I might be able to help some others looking for information on them.

Thanks,

T-bone

Multi-Kord

Hey T-Bone-

You still on here? I know it's an old thread, but if I could get that info on the Multi-Kord, I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking at a 8-string, 6 pedal.

Thanks,
Michael

bonzerinc at netscape dot net

Multi-kord tuning info.

Hi T-Bone,I would like to have a copy of the milti-kord tuning info.if that is you have it. I have aquired a 8 string 4 pedal in a trad for working on Sho-Bud steel for a guy.Looking foward to hearing from you. Dan Ford (Danford Guitars)

: For anyone interested, I inherited an 8-string, six-pedal Multi-Kord pedal steel from my Great Aunt Gaila Medley along with several other great instruments. She always called it a hawaiin guitar. This is a fold up model and it is very complete and original with the original tweed case and all of the original manuals and sales brochure that have all of the tuning information in them.

: If you're interested in obtaining a copy, please e-mail. Mine has had two cables replaced with some sort of hardware chain, but other than that just needs to be cleaned up, serviced and tuned. It works just fine, but I'm not a steel player. I've been playing guitar for 25 years and 15 years professionally, and hope someday to find the time to make some good music on this old Multi-Kord. In the mean time, I thought I might be able to help some others looking for information on them.

: Thanks,

: T-bone

Dear T-Bone,

I have a six-string with four pedals. I would be very interested in obtaining informations from you on how yours was supposed to be set up. my e-mail is jhdoc@nventure.com.

Thanks

John Hoagland-Scher

can't find any info on Multi-kord pedal steel guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: can't find any info on Multi-kord pedal steel guitar

: : For anyone interested, I inherited an 8-string, six-pedal Multi-Kord pedal steel from my Great Aunt Gaila Medley along with several other great instruments. She always called it a hawaiin guitar. This is a fold up model and it is very complete and original with the original tweed case and all of the original manuals and sales brochure that have all of the tuning information in them.

: : If you're interested in obtaining a copy, please e-mail. Mine has had two cables replaced with some sort of hardware chain, but other than that just needs to be cleaned up, serviced and tuned. It works just fine, but I'm not a steel player. I've been playing guitar for 25 years and 15 years professionally, and hope someday to find the time to make some good music on this old Multi-Kord. In the mean time, I thought I might be able to help some others looking for information on them.

: : Thanks,

: : T-bone

: Dear T-Bone,

: I have enroute a double 8 multikord that has pedals and changer removed. To help me satart resoration process would welcome the tuning iformation and manual information, many thanks, Neil Cameron, Yorkshire, England August 2009

: Thanks

: John Hoagland-Scher

I HAVE A MULTI-KORD,BECAUSE I TOUGHT AT HARLIN BROS. AT
359 N.ILL ST INDIANAPOILS,IND.. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW?

Harlin Brothers MultiChord

Hi
I saw you're post on GuitarSite. I would love any and all information you'd be able to give me on Harlin Brothers Multichords. I just got a 6 string 6 pedal. I know almost nothing about it. So tuning(open and for the pedals) would be appreciated SO MUCH. Heck, any and all information would be appreciated.
Thank you
Matt

Pedal Tuner Needed

: I'm trying to find one of the original tuning tools - a deep socket w/ a screw through it for tuning the pedals - do you happen to know where I could get one of those?

I have a Harlin Bros. Multi Kord and can't find information on the guitar or the company. All steel guitar instruction books I've found deal with 10 string ones. Mine was made with only 6 strings and 4 floor pedals. I would like to know if the company is still in operation so perhaps I can get an instruction book on that particular guitar so I can learn to play it. Thank you...Dorothy

: I have a Harlin Bros. Multi Kord and can't find information on the guitar or the company. All steel guitar instruction books I've found deal with 10 string ones. Mine was made with only 6 strings and 4 floor pedals. I would like to know if the company is still in operation so perhaps I can get an instruction book on that particular guitar so I can learn to play it. Thank you...Dorothy

Dorothy,

I'm in the exact same position. If you find anything, please let me know at jhdoc@nventure.com.

Thanks,

John Hoagland-Scher

Dear Dorothy, I just got me the exact same guitar which I converted to a leftie. Did you find any resources for tuning etc?

Colm

I bought a Harlin Bros. Multi Kord today! If you were
able to find any information please pass it on.

i also have a harlin bros pedal steel (six string w/4 pedals), but know nothing of the company's production history,quality, components, collectability, etc........if anyone has any info for me......any info at all.......i would be very happy.

how to tune a 6 string 4pedal Multi Kord guitar

: I HAVE A MULTI-KORD,BECAUSE I TOUGHT AT HARLIN BROS. AT
: 359 N.ILL ST INDIANAPOILS,IND.. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW?
I would like to know how to tune a 6 string 4 pedal Multi Kord guitar. Do you have this information?

MultiKord 6 string tuning

My dad use to play one as a kid.. then moved on to pro 10 string stuff.. anyway after he passed I found sheet music and charts for the multikord.. I ask him once and he said it was tuned in the key of A but I guess you could tune it in E like a dobro if you wanted(not sure) my aunt still has the MultiKord and was trying to find out what it was worth if anything..

What would I like to know?

: I'm trying to find one of the original tuning tools - a deep socket w/ a screw through it for tuning the pedals - do you happen to have one of those?

Re: how to tune a 6 string 4pedal Multi Kord guitar

: : I HAVE A MULTI-KORD,BECAUSE I TOUGHT AT HARLIN BROS. AT
: : 359 N.ILL ST INDIANAPOILS,IND.. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW?
We need to find out where we can find replacement cables
and parts for the harlin multi kord

: : : I HAVE A MULTI-KORD,BECAUSE I TOUGHT AT HARLIN BROS. AT
: : : 359 N.ILL ST INDIANAPOILS,IND.. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW?
: We need to find out where we can find replacement cables
: and parts for the harlin multi kord

: : : : I HAVE A MULTI-KORD,BECAUSE I TOUGHT AT HARLIN BROS. AT
: : : : 359 N.ILL ST INDIANAPOILS,IND.. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW?
: : We need to find out where we can find replacement cables
: : and parts for the harlin multi kord

I took lessons there and taught there also. Do you have any old music/charts for the Multi-kord?

: : : I HAVE A MULTI-KORD,BECAUSE I TOUGHT AT HARLIN BROS. AT
: : : 359 N.ILL ST INDIANAPOILS,IND.. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW?
: We need to find out where we can find replacement cables
: and parts for the harlin multi kord

cables

If your handy with cable and small cable clamps ,you can find everything you need to do the job yourself at Ace hardware.I have a 6 string-4 pedal multi-kord and I refurbished 6 years ago.Still works gteat. I tune mine G#E B G# E B.

MULTI-KORD STRINGS

?WHAT IS THE DIAMITER OF THE 8 STRING BOUBLE NECK

MR. FRANK DOUGLAS SEND ARMON A EMAIL I WILL SEND YOU ATUNING GUIDE
ARMON

MULTI-KORD STRINGS & cables

I have a 4 pedal Multi-Kord and need a cable and strings and a source for help and information... I appreciate anyones help.. please email me direct with Multi-kord in the subject line.. Thank you...

Re: MULTI-KORD STRINGS & cables

: I have a 4 pedal Multi-Kord and need cables or rods if someone has made retrofit for it.. please email me direct with Multi-kord in the subject line.. Thank you...I also would like to know how to tune it with C6th open [6 string 4 pedal]

Re: MULTI-KORD STRINGS & cables

: I have a 4 pedal Multi-Kord and need cables or rods if someone has made retrofit for it.. please email me direct with Multi-kord in the subject line.. Thank you...

MULTI-KORD STRINGS

MR. FRANK DOUGLAS SEND ARMON A EMAIL A TUNING GUIDE
ARMON

MULTI-KORD STRINGS

MULTI-KORD STRINGS

Re: MULTI-KORD STRINGS

ARMON CHILDERS - E-mail sent to your server keeps getting kicked back. Can you e-mail me at althoff@verizon.net please?

Re: multi-kord steel guitars

The Multi-Kord guitars were built in Indy, and I think that at least one of the Harlin brathers is still living. I do know that the Multi-Kord was one of the first, if not THE FIRST pedal guitars available, as Paul Bigsby was building pedal mechanisms into his console steels around 1950-53. The difference was in the engineering. That's about what I know, but if you have a question I could answer, e-mail me back, THANKS, SLICK.....: I have ran acrossed a pedal steel guitar that my neighbor played as a kid. They say he was real good and I can find it any where on the net. It was made by Harlin Bros. Indpls, Ind. and has Multi-Kord wrote on it. Can you possibly help me on this matter. We are looking to restore it. Thank you very much and any help would be very much appreciated.

: The Multi-Kord guitars were built in Indy, and I think that at least one of the Harlin brathers is still living. I do know that the Multi-Kord was one of the first, if not THE FIRST pedal guitars available, as Paul Bigsby was building pedal mechanisms into his console steels around 1950-53. The difference was in the engineering. That's about what I know, but if you have a question I could answer, e-mail me back, THANKS, SLICK.....: I have ran acrossed a pedal steel guitar that my neighbor played as a kid. They say he was real good and I can find it any where on the net. It was made by Harlin Bros. Indpls, Ind. and has Multi-Kord wrote on it. Can you possibly help me on this matter. We are looking to restore it. Thank you very much and any help would be very much appreciated.

Jay Harlin and his brother started building a pedal steel in the mid '30s. By about 1936 or '37, his "Multi-Kord" was selling in music stores. It was offered in single, and later double-necked versions, and with 6 strings (or later 8 strings) on each neck. Gibson released a pedal steel about 1939, but had to discontinue it after a couple of years because they had copied the double-finger Harlin-designed changer (without his permission). Gibson redesigned their guitar and re-issued it in 1941, but due to the bulk, weight, and expense of their version, they never had the success that Harlin did. Harlin made thousands of his rather simple (but innovative) steel guitars, and they sold well until Fender entered the market in the mid-to-late '50s. The Multi-Kord finally faded from existence in the '60s, but many are still found cheaply on the used market. They are (at best) a cheap, basic, entry-level pedal steel.

Re: Multi-Kord steel guitars

Multi-Kord steel guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Multi-Kord steel guitars

: : The Multi-Kord guitars were built in Indy, and I think that at least one of the Harlin brathers is still living. I do know that the Multi-Kord was one of the first, if not THE FIRST pedal guitars available, as Paul Bigsby was building pedal mechanisms into his console steels around 1950-53. The difference was in the engineering. That's about what I know, but if you have a question I could answer, e-mail me back, THANKS, SLICK.....: I have ran acrossed a pedal steel guitar that my neighbor played as a kid. They say he was real good and I can find it any where on the net. It was made by Harlin Bros. Indpls, Ind. and has Multi-Kord wrote on it. Can you possibly help me on this matter. We are looking to restore it. Thank you very much and any help would be very much appreciated.
Hi I took lessons from Harlins starting in 1948 and was a student teacher in 1952-54. I knew all the Harlins who are all passed away now. Jay, Herb, Jimmy, Wynn, & George.--Jay was the inventor. His personal one had 15 pedals.
Danny James

serial#of last multi-kord made bought mine in 1963 cant find a serial #

: : : The Multi-Kord guitars were built in Indy, and I think that at least one of the Harlin brathers is still living. I do know that the Multi-Kord was one of the first, if not THE FIRST pedal guitars available, as Paul Bigsby was building pedal mechanisms into his console steels around 1950-53. The difference was in the engineering. That's about what I know, but if you have a question I could answer, e-mail me back, THANKS, SLICK.....: I have ran acrossed a pedal steel guitar that my neighbor played as a kid. They say he was real good and I can find it any where on the net. It was made by Harlin Bros. Indpls, Ind. and has Multi-Kord wrote on it. Can you possibly help me on this matter. We are looking to restore it. Thank you very much and any help would be very much appreciated.
: Hi I took lessons from Harlins starting in 1948 and was a student teacher in 1952-54. I knew all the Harlins who are all passed away now. Jay, Herb, Jimmy, Wynn, & George.--Jay was the inventor. His personal one had 15 pedals.
: Danny James

: The Multi-Kord guitars were built in Indy, and I think that at least one of the Harlin brathers is still livin
ALL THE INFO. WRIGHT I HAVE OWNE A DUBLE NECK SOLD IT I HAVE
A 6 STRING 3 PEDAL NOW I HAVE SOME PARTS FO MULT KORD

I'm trying to find one of the original tuning tools - a deep socket w/ a screw through it for tuning the pedals - do you happen to have one of those?

: The Multi-Kord guitars were built in Indy, and I think that at least one of the Harlin brathers is still livin
ALL THE INFO. WRIGHT I HAVE OWNE A DUBLE NECK SOLD IT I A 6 STRING 3 PEDAL NOW I HAVE SOME PARTS FO MULT KORD

Need pedals (4) for 12 string Multi-kord

: : The Multi-Kord guitars were built in Indy, and I think that at least one of the Harlin brathers is still livin
: ALL THE INFO. WRIGHT I HAVE OWNE A DUBLE NECK SOLD IT I A 6 STRING 3 PEDAL NOW I HAVE SOME PARTS FO MULT KORD

--Do you have a changer??? Looking for an 8-string.

thanks,
eric

: Need pedals (4) for 12 string Multi-kord

: : : The Multi-Kord guitars were built in Indy, and I think that at least one of the Harlin brathers is still livin
: : ALL THE INFO. WRIGHT I HAVE OWNE A DUBLE NECK SOLD IT I A 6 STRING 3 PEDAL NOW I HAVE SOME PARTS FO MULT KORD

: I have ran acrossed a pedal steel guitar that my neighbor played as a kid. They say he was real good and I can find it any where on the net. It was made by Harlin Bros. Indpls, Ind. and has Multi-Kord wrote on it. Can you possibly help me on this matter. We are looking to restore it. Thank you very much and any help would be very much appreciated.

I have located one also and can't find any info either. The one I found is in mint condition... has 5 pedals, 6 strings and strings up backwards. If you find any info please email. I will do the same.
thanks,
Brett

Brett - a MultiKord that strings up backwards?

: : I have ran acrossed a pedal steel guitar that my neighbor played as a kid. They say he was real good and I can find it any where on the net. It was made by Harlin Bros. Indpls, Ind. and has Multi-Kord wrote on it. Can you possibly help me on this matter. We are looking to restore it. Thank you very much and any help would be very much appreciated.

: I have located one also and can't find any info either. The one I found is in mint condition... has 5 pedals, 6 strings and strings up backwards. If you find any info please email. I will do the same.
: thanks,
: Brett

Brett - do you mean strung up for a left hander - if so I'm interested in whatever you can tell me about it!

GUITAR

IVE GOT THIS GUITAR AND IT HAS A HARLIN BROS. INDIANAPOLIS IND. STAMP ON THE BACK BY THE TUNING PEGS THIS GUITAR WAS HANDED DOWN FROM MY GREAT GRANDFATHER DOWN TO MY GRANDFATHER TO MY FATHER AND FINALLY TO ME AND I JUST WANTED TO SEE IF YOU HAD ANY INFORMATION ON IT. IF YOU DO IT WOULD BE WONDERFUL. IT ALSO HAS A PAT. NUMBER 2128460 MAYBE THAT WILL HELP YOU AND IT HAS "Del Oro" printed on it.

Re: GUITAR

: IVE GOT THIS GUITAR AND IT HAS A HARLIN BROS. INDIANAPOLIS IND. STAMP ON THE BACK BY THE TUNING PEGS THIS GUITAR WAS HANDED DOWN FROM MY GREAT GRANDFATHER DOWN TO MY GRANDFATHER TO MY FATHER AND FINALLY TO ME AND I JUST WANTED TO SEE IF YOU HAD ANY INFORMATION ON IT. IF YOU DO IT WOULD BE WONDERFUL. IT ALSO HAS A PAT. NUMBER 2128460 MAYBE THAT WILL HELP YOU AND IT HAS "Del Oro" printed on it.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.