Re: Baby Martin guitar

Advertisement
Posted by mike DeGiorgi on Fri, 05/30/03 - 07:23:54.

: : I'm looking to sell a baby Martin guitar. The numbers inside are "5-18", and "63477". Anyone know what this guitar is worth?

: I'm not sure I agree with the prior advice you received. I think the person may have confused your guitar with a Martin backpacker. The 63477 number is a serial number. Your guitar, if it is a Martin parlor guitar is very old and probably very valuable. Perhapvalued at several thousand dollars. If it's one of the newer backpacker guitars with a very narrow triangular shape, it's worth less than $200. Take it to a reputable appraiser for sound advice. If you email me a picture, I can get you an approximate value.

I did some research and found your model listed in one of my vintage catalogues. It is indeed very old. Martin serial numbers are sequenced chronologically. Current serial numbers have reached the 7 digit numbers. I have a 1966 model with a number in the 200,000's. your number is in the 60000 range, so that should give you some indication that it is very old. The Martin factory can tell you the exact year your guitar was made if you call them and give them a serial number.

My books suggest that your guitar is minimally worth $2000.Much depends on the age, condition and the demand for that particular model.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.