Baldwin 706 semi

Posted by Hamish Mcpherson on Thu, 09/18/03 - 15:16:14.
In Reply to Chris B's Music

I reciently inherited a Baldwin 706 semi acoustic guitar.
It is in the original case and the originl warranty certificate is in the case too.
It is in really good nick apart from lots of hairline cracks in the laquer.
I would like to find out if it was worth anything.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Baldwin 706 semi

Hamish,
Sounds exactly like the Baldwin semi i used to own back in 1981, sunburst finish. The lacquer around the base of the neck was cracking as that was a famous week spot of the Baldwins. I understand Peter Frampton used to play one(but don't tell anyone!!!! It did have a really raspy sound, especially if you use rotosound wire round strings.
I sold it in Coventry for £180, bought it for £45 off a poor student! Anyway, I went all over to try and find out about this guitar(prior to email). Finally I found a guy who ran a guitar shop in Coventry who had heard of them.(this was after I had sold it!) He said he wouldn't be interested as he didn't buy collectors items. He said that due to it's rarity I could only get £400 - £500 for it tops
That was in 1981. Oh and on the head it had an inset with GB66 on. The man said that was the year it was built.
Anyway, hope this info helps.
I may even have an old photo of it somewhere if your interested.
Cheers
Dave

: hey people! i currently own a baldwin 706, even the sunburst color. it is a rare guitar i herar, but i beleive that this guitar is a wonderous looking beast. mine does have the fading of the laquer around the base of the neck, and it is in mint condition. my Grand father Dennis McQuad used to own this 706, and he was a marvel to listen to, he could play any thing. i am wondering for no purpose of selling, how much in canadian money is it worth

Baldwin 7xx series

Hi... I bought a Sunburst 706v for $450.00 USD shipped a few months ago... a red 704 bass and a red 712 12 string... $1200 USD shipped for the pair... asll 3 in excellent shape... normal checking... no case...

: : hey people! i currently own a baldwin 706, even the sunburst color. it is a rare guitar i hear, but i beleive that this guitar is a wonderous looking beast. mine does have the fading of the laquer around the base of the neck, and it is in mint condition. my Grand father Dennis McQuade used to own this 706, and he was a marvel to listen to, he could play any thing. i am wondering for no purpose of selling, how much in canadian money is it worth

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.