Ernie Isley's guitar effects

Posted by Billye Davis on Tue, 07/25/00 - 22:33:12.

I've been a listener of Ernie Isley for many years.And I'm still amazed at his smooth tone,sustain and harmonics that he produces during his guitar solo's.Songs for example:Voyage to alantis(Go for your guns),life in the city(Winner takes all),and blue rose(Different drummer).If you have any idea which effects Ernie used for the type of sounds described above;please let me know a.s.a.p. Thank you!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Ernie Isley's guitar effects

: I have enjoyed Ernie's solos, once enjoyed him at the Strand (Long Beach) Ca. He awesome, I understand he learned from Jimi Hendrix as well. Hope to see him again soon.

hello to all,
wondering if anyone knows what effect ernie isly used on "that lady" sounds like a phase shifter with a heavy phase i have a phase shifter but it does not sound like that one
thanx

: hello to all,
: wondering if anyone knows what effect ernie isly used on "that lady" sounds like a phase shifter with a heavy phase i have a phase shifter but it does not sound like that one
: thanx Ernie is using a Big Muff fuzz & a Old maestro phase shifter. I have pictures of Ernie Isley set-up and I have also met him in person. one real down to earth cool dude.

Re: Ernie Isley's guitar effects w/ phone number

: I've been a listener of Ernie Isley for many years.And I'm still amazed at his smooth tone,sustain and harmonics that he produces during his guitar solo's.Songs for example:Voyage to alantis(Go for your guns),life in the city(Winner takes all),and blue rose(Different drummer).If you have any idea which effects Ernie used for the type of sounds described above;please let me know a.s.a.p. Thank you!

Ernie's phone number is 314 4346088

I believe that Ernie Isley used several effects on the Isley Brothers records from "3+3" to "Winner Takes All" such as the Cry Baby wah, the Maestro PS-1A Phase Shifter, the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff fuzz box, and the Roger Mayer Octavia. His effect setup had changed through the years. In fact, Ernie had started using the Boss Flanger around 1980 when he recorded such songs for the Isley Brothers such as "Don't Say Goodnight ( It's Time For Love )" "Choosy Lover" "Between The Sheets" and many others.
Ernie Isley will always be the one who had the hookup and the one who knew how to use it.

his current effects

I found this at an Isley brothers yahoo group. Ernie's current effects are: Crybaby Wah, ProcoRat Distortion 2, Dunlop Rotovibe, Boss Flanger, and the roger mayer octavia. It makes since though. If you study his sound all of these are effects he uses. Peace

His current effects in Blue Note Tokyo

Mar. 4 2004 at Blue Note Tokyo
Ernie's current effects are: Dunlop Rotovibe, Proctavia, Boss Flanger, Boss Chorus, Proco Rat, Proco Rat, Crybaby Wah, SW box, Korg Tuner.

: I've been a listener of Ernie Isley for many years.And I'm still amazed at his smooth tone,sustain and harmonics that he produces during his guitar solo's.Songs for example:Voyage to alantis(Go for your guns), Song for the muses, (Floating on your love), life in the city(Winner takes all),and blue rose(Different drummer).If you have any idea which effects Ernie used for the type of sounds described above;please let me know a.s.a.p.
Also, I have been trying to get in contact with Ernie Isley, so that I can get some tips on how to improve my guitar playing style and picking techniques. If you have a mailing address, telephone number or e-mail address of Ernie Isley, please let me know because I would really like to speak with him. Thank you.

314 4346088

: : I've been a listener of Ernie Isley for many years.And I'm still amazed at his smooth tone,sustain and harmonics that he produces during his guitar solo's.Songs for example:Voyage to alantis(Go for your guns), Song for the muses, (Floating on your love), life in the city(Winner takes all),and blue rose(Different drummer).If you have any idea which effects Ernie used for the type of sounds described above;please let me know a.s.a.p.
: Also, I have been trying to get in contact with Ernie Isley, so that I can get some tips on how to improve my guitar playing style and picking techniques. If you have a mailing address, telephone number or e-mail address of Ernie Isley, please let me know because I would really like to speak with him. Thank you.

: : : I've been a listener of Ernie Isley for many years.And I'm still amazed at his smooth tone,sustain and harmonics that he produces during his guitar solo's.Songs for example:Voyage to alantis(Go for your guns), Song for the muses, (Floating on your love), life in the city(Winner takes all),and blue rose(Different drummer).If you have any idea which effects Ernie used for the type of sounds described above;please let me know a.s.a.p.
: : Also, I have been trying to get in contact with Ernie Isley, so that I can get some tips on how to improve my guitar playing style and picking techniques. If you have a mailing address, telephone number or e-mail address of Ernie Isley, please let me know because I would really like to speak with him. Thank you.
I was very luck to meet & talk with Ernie Isley twice. On stage he use Two Amps, A Mashall and Mesa boogie,effects he use 2 Pro Co Rat turbo,Roger mayer octava (same sound Jimi used on purple haze)
Dunlop Roto vibe, Boss flanger and just about
every effects there is. His Guitars are Custom made by Fender at a cost of about $8000.00 to
$7000.00 each. He is a very cool dude, Very down to earth, he even sign one of my guitars but Ron Isley was very cold. Maybe that why he is catching so much hell today. the Stroke, IRS etc.
God has a way of humbling us.

: : I've been a listener of Ernie Isley for many years.And I'm still amazed at his smooth tone,sustain and harmonics that he produces during his guitar solo's.Songs for example:Voyage to alantis(Go for your guns), Song for the muses, (Floating on your love), life in the city(Winner takes all),and blue rose(Different drummer).If you have any idea which effects Ernie used for the type of sounds described above;please let me know a.s.a.p.
: Also, I have been trying to get in contact with Ernie Isley, so that I can get some tips on how to improve my guitar playing style and picking techniques. If you have a mailing address, telephone number or e-mail address of Ernie Isley, please let me know because I would really like to speak with him. Thank you.

Your best bet is to save up

Your best bet is to save up about $200, buy some Isley Brothers tickets while Ron and Ernie are still touring and make sure you get the ones that state (VIP meet and greet). That way you can get in a good 2 minute conversation before the next 65 VIP's meet Ernie and Ron. How do I know? I just did exactly that for their February 2012 show!!! both are very down to earth.

Other that than just add Ernie Isley on facebook. He does have a real page (not a friend page, but a musician page) and he updates it quite frequently. He doesn't seem to really respond back to facebook posters, although he did respond to me back when he had an actual "friend" page (now disabled).

If you want to play like Ernie just study his videos on youtube. Practice notebends and the pentatonic scale.. you'll be fine

Mike,
I went to an Isley Brothers concert back in 75 when the Fight The Power album was current. At that time he used from his guitar to his amp, a cry baby wa wa, a big muff, an octavia, and a meostro phase shifter. I belive a by pass switched was used so that when he had the big muff on, his signal was routed through to 2 Marshall amps. When it was off it was routed through to 3 accoustic phase amps. He had these amps in a rack, and used in conjunction with them, four Marshall cabinets with four 12" speakers in each one.
The pedal board which I've described can be seen on the back of the Go for Your Guns album. At the time of that 75 concert, the roadie told me that the octavia that he was using was one of just a few that were around at that time.
The one that he had then actually belonged to Jimi Hendrix at some time.
Dennis

: Mike,
: I went to an Isley Brothers concert back in 75 when the Fight The Power album was current. At that time he used from his guitar to his amp, a cry baby wa wa, a big muff, an octavia, and a meastro phase shifter. I belive a by pass switched was used so that when he had the big muff on, his signal was routed through to 2 Marshall amps. When it was off it was routed through to 3 accoustic phase amps. He had these amps in a rack, and used in conjunction with them, four Marshall cabinets with four 12" speakers in each one.
: The pedal board which I've described can be seen on the back of the Go for Your Guns album. At the time of that 75 concert, the roadie told me that the octavia that he was using was one of just a few that were around at that time.
: The one that he had then actually belonged to Jimi Hendrix at some time.
: Dennis

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.