Takamine F400S

Posted by jeremy on Tue, 12/24/02 - 16:03:23.
In Reply to Bluenote Music

Hi, I have a Takamine&Co. F400S twelve string. it was made on Aug. 31 1978. I would like to know more about it's origins and value. I would really appreciate your time in this matter
Thanks Jeremy

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Takamine and "The Lawsuit" that never was.

Before Martin created their Sigma guitars they had contracted with Takamine to develop a less expensive guitar for them to market. These guitars were produced with the express permission and by request of Martin. They were never marketed and Martin formed Sigma. There is much speculation as to why and Tak fans like myself like to believe that it was because the quality was very good and Martin was afraid it would cut in to their US built guitar sales.
Ultimately Martin formed Sigma (which they wholly owned and controlled) as a more affordable line of guitars.
No lawsuit.

Re: Takamine F400S

: Hi, I have a Takamine&Co. F400S twelve string. it was made on Aug. 31 1978. I would like to know more about it's origins and value. I would really appreciate your time in this matter
: Thanks Jeremy

: : Hi, I have a Takamine&Co. F400S twelve string. it was made on Aug. 31 1978. I would like to know more about it's origins and value. I would really appreciate your time in this matter
: : Thanks Jeremy
I have the same guitar built Oct 31 1979. All I know is that Takamine was sued by Martin as this was an EXACT copy and were tolt to stop production. Mine is in mint shape and is still the best sounding and playing 12 sting that I have or anyone who plays it have played
Dan

: Hi, I have a Takamine&Co. F400S twelve string. it was made on Aug. 31 1978. I would like to know more about it's origins and value. I would really appreciate your time in this matter

Jeremy, I have an F400S I bought new in 1978, had never heard of Takamine at the time, just thought it was a very good quality ax for the bucks ( $300?). Have been in love with it ever since.
It is a copy of a Martin 12 string, of course, they are made in Japan, our 1978 models probably aren't real valuable, but I still feel it's close to the Martins I have, would not part with it, though I've always thought of putting some better tuners on it!
John Evans

According to a sales rep at Takamine, the F400S is laminate rosewood and solid spruce.
m

What's the street value of the Takamine F400S twelve string? I can't seem to find any for sale to compare prices on.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.