giannini AWN/85

Posted by robbie on Sat, 07/14/01 - 20:20:10.
In Reply to 12 Tone Music

does anyone know anything about this brand and model of guitar. i bought it over25 years ago and would like to know something about it. any comments are apprecieated.. please e-mail me...thanks...Godspeed.. R

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: giannini AWN/85

I've been playing one since I bought it new in '74. Since it is a "grand concert" size guitar, the sound is mellower than other classicals that you might be familiar with. I have tried out several others but have stuck with this one.

I have had my Giannini since 1973,and it has served me well. As a professional musician, I have sometimes used it onstage, when I was playing a single or a duet. Although I generally either play bass and do vocals or just vocals,my Giannini was my favorite guitar to play. I have also written many songs with that guitar,and it has always been a pleasure to play. I really don't know very much about it's value either, but I do know that the Brazilian rosewood that it's made from is extinct, or so I've been told. I would like to share any info about it with anyone interested, or learn more about it from someone else. Please e-mail me if you are likewise interested.

Hi,
I have had a good 25 years of enjoyment from my Giannini AWN 85. Now I need some help with any information about this Guitar. I have a deadline of the 15th of April to gather any information to present a presentation on the AWN 85. Please send me any information, or historical background on this great accoustical Guitar. Thank you, Sincerely,
Timothy Lunn

Giannini

i bought my 85 AWN serial no. 08 1974 in 1974. I seemed to remember I paid something like £48 for it , can`t swear by that though and a hefty discount I think might have been involved.
I have used it for recoding, live performances and generally it has travelled around with me, "trains & boats & planes", It has spent nights on beaches I had to leave it behind in the Channel Islands once it was a choice of my Strat or my Giannini on the plane, not both, I rescued it some weeks later. So it is now quite well worn "war wounds" all over but by no means worn out. The machine heads I replaced about 20 years ago, and I also have removed the laquer finish on the neck it plays better without it, Concerning the mellow tone, I like many others conquer this by using Pro-Arte high or even extra high tension strings. I won`t part with it even though I have other classicals, this one is like an old friend to me that has never let me down. But it would be interesting to know it`s saleable value.

: Hi,
: I have had a good 25 years of enjoyment from my Giannini AWN 85. Now I need some help with any information about this Guitar. I have a deadline of the 15th of April to gather any information to present a presentation on the AWN 85. Please send me any information, or historical background on this great accoustical Guitar. Thank you, Sincerely,
: Timothy Lunn

-----------------------------Mr. Lunn: if you ever get back to this website and find this followup, please contact me re your AWN-85. I just purchased one on ebay and would like to trade information with you.

: : Hi,
: : I have had a good 25 years of enjoyment from my Giannini AWN 85. Now I need some help with any information about this Guitar. I have a deadline of the 15th of April to gather any information to present a presentation on the AWN 85. Please send me any information, or historical background on this great accoustical Guitar. Thank you, Sincerely,
: : Timothy Lunn

: -----------------------------Mr. Lunn: if you ever get back to this website and find this followup, please contact me re your AWN-85. I just purchased one on ebay and would like to trade information with you.
----------------------------------------------------

Forgot my email address: doug@eatonbuilding.com

Just decided to play again after like 15 years. Picked up a used AWN85 in beautiful condition. Don't know anything about them. How old is is, how good is it? Has nice sound....wonder if my 60's hippie sensiblities will resurface......pcadmus@verizon.net

: Just decided to play again after like 15 years. Picked up a used AWN85 in beautiful condition. Don't know anything about them. How old is is, how good is it? Has nice sound....wonder if my 60's hippie sensiblities will resurface......pcadmus@verizon.net

---------------------------------------------------

Good for you, Phyllis. Glad to hear you got a good one. Mine came in the mail the other day and was somewhat of a disappointment. Had a small crack in each side, a small one in the top, the bridge was lifting slightly and a transverse brace on the inside was cracked. I couldn't get the d tuner to tune the string. I complained to the seller and he reduced the price substantially, rather than have me ship it back. (I ended up paying $50 for the guitar, but also $75 for shipping.) I was able to fix the tuner myself and put new strings on it. It sounds good to me, but I want to take it to a guitar store and compare it to others. I had a guitar tech at Buffalo Bros look at it, and he thought it wasn't worth repairing, so I'm just going to play it till it don't play no mo. I see why these guitars generally don't get more than $400 used. The back and sides are laminated. The guitar tech told me it was funny, because the wood on the inside is better wood than what's showing on the outside, which is Brazilian Amazon Rosewood (slightly different from but soncically equal to Brazilian Bahia Rosewood, the one that is now endangered and not being harvested.) The wood on the inside is East Indian Rosewood and a very high grade. It was cheaper back in 1974 when this guitar was made. The guitar tech said the top might also be laminated, but I'm not so sure about that. Regardless, the guitar sounds very nice with the extra set of unused, but old LaBella strings the seller sent with it. I'm going to put some very good strings on it soon.

How old is your guitar? Probably from the 70s, but I can't tell. It should say just below the label. Mine has the black and gold label that says "Giannini, Made in Brazil" and then has a little sticker below it with the model number and the serial number, which is 09 1974, the month and year it was made, I'd wager. You can go to the Giannini website and click on downloads and it will show you several old catalogues that you can download and view. I believe they've got the '76 catalogue and the '78 catalogue. The 76 catalogue is in both English and Portuguese. Neither one lists the AWN 85, but they do list the AWN 86 Asturius, which is probably the same model but made with Brazilian bahia rosewood, the good stuff.

How good is it? Can't tell. You have to take it to a guitar store and compare it to what they've got. My guitar has nice sustain, especially in the base strings. And I believe it projects well also. My guess is that these guitars are better than most that you can purchase new for under $1000. But then, each guitar is different.

My guitar also got that funky Brazilian vibe about it, i.e. the finish isn't so great, it appears there is some magic marker or ink under the finish in a couple of places and I swear I can still see faint band saw marks on the fret board, which IS solid Brazilian Bahia Rosewood. I'm teaching myself Brazilian Jazz stuff now, so I find it to be perfect for what I'm up to. Jobim, Joao Gilberto, Laurindo Almeida, Luiz Bonfa, check them all out. Great music.

As for hippie sensibilities, I'm a veteran of Woodstock and I'm glad those days are over, although they were a "trip" weren't they?

Regards, ..............Doug Eaton

Giannini Clasical Guitar AWN 85 SER 1973

I recently bought one of these. It is in very good condition and has enormous amount of resonance. Trouble is that the A string on fret 9 has a shocking buzz. Anyone had this problem and if so how has it been fixed?

I have the same guitar. It was my grandfathers and I don't knwo much about it. However I was looknig for something on the guitar and found the companies website, http://www.giannini.com.br/eng/frame.asp, but the only
guitar models are current ones. I prolly won't be checking this forum so please give me an e-mail if you find anything out.

WE PICKED THIS GUITAR UP TODAY.. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THIS GUITAR TYPES OF WOOD USED ETC

I have one as well that I got for my 16th birthday, 28 years ago, and I can't find any information on it. I would appreciate it if anyone found any information they could e-mail it to me. Thanks.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.