mysterious guitar

Posted by kevin Williams on Fri, 07/04/03 - 13:29:54.

Have aquired through a friends passing, an acoustic guitar that says it's an Epi model D-10??? Has the epi sticker inside that also has the little Norlin logo in it's corner, says it's a product of Lincolnwood, Illinois and also that it's made in Taiwan. Any direction anyone can give me on a possible age, pricing, etc.????? Can't find anything about this model anywhere!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

1979 NORLIN EPI D-12 Acoustic Ser. # 2901279

Tag indicates it was made in Taiwan. It has aged well and has good tone quality. I expect to eventually pass it on to one of our 3 guitar playing children.

Re: mysterious guitar EPI d-10 and D12

I HAVE AN Epi D10 and an Epi D12 they are wonderful playing guitars mine has rosewood ba acks and sides, I will continue looking into their past and kee3p yo posted
Stan too, have just inherited a EPI D-10 and after the serial number it has a "T" with a circle around it then it has Norlin Lincolnwood IL but it also has Taiwan stamped on the inside tag.. I checked in the Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars 8th Edition and it said the Taiwan guitars were made between 1979 to 1981 and Gibson owned Epi at this time. The rcpt. for the guitar was from 1978 so I guess the models come out early like cars?? But there is not a Norlin or D-10 listed anywhere under Epi, Epiphone or Gibson.

guitar D.14

just bought one today love it $80.00

EPI D-16

I just bought a perfect condition Epi D-16 with not a scratch on it. Had it set up and new strings. This is one of the nicest tone guitars I have ever played. I've played a lot in shops. Martins, Guilds, all of them. This D-16 is a keeper. Great tone, resonation, smooth action, everything. The professionals in my area are also blown away. Maybe the truth with appear one day about these old Epi's. I would like to know what year it is though. Its beautiful! Reggie, Macon, GA.

Epi D-16

My daughter announced she wanted to learn to play guitar, so I dug out my old Epi D-16, took it up to the local shop for some new strings, and a "tune up". I purchased it back in 1979. I always wanted an Epiphone guitar, and this is what I could afford at the time. I was pleased with it's tone, and I'm looking forward to picking it up again.

D16 EPI Guitar

Hi there I own A D16 EPI made by the Norlin Company.Do you recall what you payed for it new if you don.t mind me
Asking .Mine is like new not a mark on it,What do you think it is worth.

Thank You Robert.

EPI D-12

My wife bought me a used acoustic at the flea market in 1984 that has EPI on the headstock and is a Model D-12 , NORLIN product, made in Taiwan . She said the seller told her it was an Epiphone and I have always wondered about this guitars origins and specifications It has great sound although I need to have the bridge reworked after I tried to lower the action myself. So far I have read that Norlin, Ephiphone and Gibson is a common denominator for "EPI" instruments but can't find specifics. ANyone with more detailed information on this instrument please contact me. I am still researching this guitar so I may find out more to share with whom ever has a similar interest and we could compare notes. Until then ....

Peace & Prosperity
Johnny Ray
North Carolina, USA

I just purchased a EPI D-12 ser#10903754 split back at a yard sale and from everything I've read there's not much information on this guitar, If you learn anything please post it, Thanks,Harold,York,PA

: I HAVE AN Epi D10 and an Epi D12 they are wonderful playing guitars mine has rosewood ba acks and sides, I will continue looking into their past and kee3p yo posted
: Stan too, have just inherited a EPI D-10 and after the serial number it has a "T" with a circle around it then it has Norlin Lincolnwood IL but it also has Taiwan stamped on the inside tag.. I checked in the Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars 8th Edition and it said the Taiwan guitars were made between 1979 to 1981 and Gibson owned Epi at this time. The rcpt. for the guitar was from 1978 so I guess the models come out early like cars?? But there is not a Norlin or D-10 listed anywhere under Epi, Epiphone or Gibson.

Same thing, I picked up an old Epi guitar and have never been able to find out much about it. I know it is very solid and durable and plays very well.
The guy I got it from told me they were using it in a recording studio. To hear it open ears is one thing, but to hear it on record, it sounds like two different guitars.
I've heard a lot of theories, never any solid info.
I picked this one up almost 30 years ago and it is in the same condition as when I first got it. Add thirty years to how old it was when I got it and the the dates take it back a ways. Just can not find any info using the name or serial #'s If anyone knows the story behind these, let us know, it would be interesting to find out the real history.

Tim C.

I just dug out the old acoustic I bought years ago and it's and Epi D12. I just took it into have it set up, cleaned etc and found out that Norlin used to make band equipment. They owned Gibson during this time which is why they had the Epi (Epiphone) name.
I hope this helps!

I ALSO HAVE AN EPI D10 with the same basic configuration. I have never known anything about it. Used to play it all the time. Don't think it was a very expensive guitar, though. I've had it since mid 1980s(used). I too have wondered about it, since I have never heard of an "EPI" label in later model instuments.

Wow, I thought I was the only one going nuts. I was looking for a new guitar for a friend a while back and we started making the rounds of pawn shops. He was drawn to the new shiney overpriced crap guitars, but I saw this aged dread at the end. I knew what Epi was. When Gibson went through a bad time, the Norlin years, Epiphone went to Japan, and for an even cheaper tradename, Epi was chosen for supposedly bottom of the line guitars out or Taiwan. Funny thing. A lot of the early Jap Strats are better than their American counterparts of the same time period because the workers were ultra competitive. I think the same thing happened with Epi. I bought this D-16 for 70 dollars. I'm sure the sides are laminate, but the inside of the back matches the external pattern and it sure looks like rosewood. The thing has fake MOP purfling, is nicely bound everywhere, doesn't have any finish crazing, even though it's obviously been bumped hard at the heel. It's a nice looking old guitar, and I guess a top of the line taiwanese EPI. The magic though is in the tone. I've owned some guilds, played a lot of guilds, gibsons and martins, and folks, this thing is not quite up to J45 or D28 status, but it can stand right alongside any Yairi, I think, and a lot of the lower priced guilds. Better than a lot of the new low end Martins too. And the neck is sweet, with great frets, perfect action and still no buzzing after 25 years of service. I don't know what the knock really is on these. Much better than the old Epiphone dreads I've played and half the weight. Much sturdier than the old Alvarez's and Taks of that period. There's some sloppy gluework, the grain of the top, which is definitely solid spruce, does not scream "high quality" and the tuners look like suck, but they all still work and work very well. Not the greatest guitar I've owned, but the best bang for buck purchase I ever made. Hold on to those EPI's. Maybe somebody from Norlin will finally tell the story one of these days. I'm dying to hear. Nothing on the internet but what little we've got gathered here.

EPI A-10

Just bought an EPI A-10 (smaller than the D series) for $60 at an estate sale.
Intonation is very good up the fretboard, can't wait to get new strings on it.
Tuners work well.
From what I've researched, make in 79 or 80.
Should make a great campfire git.

Epi Dread

I have the D-16. It was my 15th b-day present from my dad about 23 years ago, and it's gone everywhere with me since then. It's been dropped several times, left in cars too long, left out on the beach overnight, used ward off an attacker late one night, been contaminated by a sewage flood on a Coast Guard cutter, etc, etc. but it still sounds pretty damn good considering its original price and long history of abuse. It's got bass and resonance I don't hear on many other guitars.

It's not the prettiest thing to look at, the action is a little high (building up the courage to do my 1st truss rod adj as we speak), the tuners suck, and I had to have the bridge replaced after it spontaneously popped off one night. Other than that it has been a rock solid, great sounding guitar.

I frequently play other acoustics, and short of the D-18 and similar models, no other guitar has really ever impressed me enough to consider replacing or playing anything other the Epi.

Epi D-16 bought new in 1980

Bought an Epi D-16 new in 1980. Added Grover tuners ten years later. I've got a Martin HD-35 and a Gretsch Country Gentleman, but I play the Epi the most. Fretboard is a bit pitted out these days, but a great guitar.

Pair D-12

I bought my first D-12 for $100 in 1979 when I was in basic training and I have done so many gigs with it I can't count. I picked it up at the BX while I was in Basic Training at Lackland AFB. It plays beautifully with great action, very warm low end and nearly perfect intonation. Not too long ago I picked up a second one on Ebay for $54! with free shipping! it also plays very well. A little better action than my first one but not quite as warm. Neither one has the squirrely bright, compressed sound so many cheap acoustics have. The other thing of note is how responsive it is to dynamics. You can club this this like a baby seal and it never sends back compressed, weak or poor tone. Martin's have that same characteristic, most others don't. All in all I can't think of anything negative except the cheap hardware and at least on my first one the mediocre fret job. I was repairing amps at a music store and had out guitar tech do a proper set up on my first one and it was like a completely different animal after that.....Replace the cheap tuners for $40 and I can almost guarantee you'll have a dragon slayer after that.....

epi d-12

I got this guitar in Intercourse, PA in 2012. It was on the street curb with a "FREE' sign on it and a couple of chairs. It tunes perfectly--great intonation and clarity--no wolf tones. Serial # 2901279T. The T has a circle around it. All solid panels. Spruce top. mahogany sides, book-matched mahogany back and mahogany neck with adjustable truss rod. The fingerboard and bridge appear to be rosewood. In my opinion, its performance is comparable to top brand name contemporary guitars in the $1,200-$1,800 range. So, if you find one, jump on it like a chicken on a junebug.

Epi D-10

I purchased a "brand new" Epi D-10 from one of my mom's clients when she was working for Dillard's. The woman bought it in 1980, wanting to learn to play, and literally strummed it a few times, put it down for several years, and about 2 years before I bought it, she restrung it. It is one of the best cheaper acoustic guitars that I've played in a long time. The Epi did have a few scratches, but nothing too serious. It's practically brand new too. Apparently, I'd put more playing on the thing when she brought it over to show us then she had in all the years that she had it. I got it from her for $150.

Epi D-10

I traded with a hitchhiker for the guitar back in the early 80's for $5 and a handfull of weed.... Has been a great guitar over the years, nice to hear all the comments about the sound, I have always enjoyed the way the guitar sounds.

Hi! I have EPI ED10 with serial 9601319453. Does anubody know where and when this has been made!?

I do not have a D-10 or a D-12 but I do have a D-14 serial number 3900451.
I bought it new from a music shop in Jacksonville Fl way back in about 1980 I think.

It does sound great although I think could benefit from a new bridge and nut (a long the way I think I filled the bridge a bit too much :-(
The back of the guitar is very nice with an inset (/\) resulting in 3 pieces.

I always thought it was cheap (I paid about $125) but always sounds full and rich.
Unfortunately I've not looked after it overly well (my campfire guitar...if I ever were to go camping) but it still looks great and I keep it close to my computer should I ever feel the urge.
I'm considering putting a pickup on it as my other 6string acoustic is a Takamine EF261 which sounds thin in comparison

EPI GUITAR

I have a epi model a 10 ser#989029 made in taiwan( trade mark norlin) caan anyone tell me what year it was made ,anything you can tell me . thanks

: Wow, I thought I was the only one going nuts. I was looking for a new guitar for a friend a while back and we started making the rounds of pawn shops. He was drawn to the new shiney overpriced crap guitars, but I saw this aged dread at the end. I knew what Epi was. When Gibson went through a bad time, the Norlin years, Epiphone went to Japan, and for an even cheaper tradename, Epi was chosen for supposedly bottom of the line guitars out or Taiwan. Funny thing. A lot of the early Jap Strats are better than their American counterparts of the same time period because the workers were ultra competitive. I think the same thing happened with Epi. I bought this D-16 for 70 dollars. I'm sure the sides are laminate, but the inside of the back matches the external pattern and it sure looks like rosewood. The thing has fake MOP purfling, is nicely bound everywhere, doesn't have any finish crazing, even though it's obviously been bumped hard at the heel. It's a nice looking old guitar, and I guess a top of the line taiwanese EPI. The magic though is in the tone. I've owned some guilds, played a lot of guilds, gibsons and martins, and folks, this thing is not quite up to J45 or D28 status, but it can stand right alongside any Yairi, I think, and a lot of the lower priced guilds. Better than a lot of the new low end Martins too. And the neck is sweet, with great frets, perfect action and still no buzzing after 25 years of service. I don't know what the knock really is on these. Much better than the old Epiphone dreads I've played and half the weight. Much sturdier than the old Alvarez's and Taks of that period. There's some sloppy gluework, the grain of the top, which is definitely solid spruce, does not scream "high quality" and the tuners look like suck, but they all still work and work very well. Not the greatest guitar I've owned, but the best bang for buck purchase I ever made. Hold on to those EPI's. Maybe somebody from Norlin will finally tell the story one of these days. I'm dying to hear. Nothing on the internet but what little we've got gathered here.

Same here. I have been holding onto an old Epi for almost 30 years. Have never been able to get any atraight info on it. It's ust some mysterious old guitar that I picked up from a guy who told me that it was used for the recording studio because of its tone. When you hear it open ears it sounds good, but when you hear it on a recording, it is fairly amazing. It does not sound anything like you would think by just looking at it. It's like two different guitars.
O well, maybe some day we will learn something about these guitars........

Peace out

I own an EPI D-10 and I have written most of my material on this great sounding guitar. I've had it for years and it stands up well against my other Martins and Ovations. I consider it my "throw-around" guitar, a term most of my music friends hate, but it is the one that is always there, out of the case and ready. If I accidentally bump it against something, I'm not losing any sleep, like I would with one of my vintage Martins, which don't get nearly the same play time. It's all because this dreadnought Epi has a great neck, great action and most of all a superb sound.

IM FROM ARGENTINA, I HAD AN EPI D-10 IN MY HANDS LAST WEEK IN THE SALVATION ARMY SALE IN FORT LAUDERDALE, IT WAS 50 DOLLARS, MI GIRLFRIEND DONT ALLOW ME TO BUY IT CAUSE IT WAS A LITLLE BIT SCRATCHED AND THE BRIDGE WAS UNGLUED, I GOOGLE THIS GUITAR WHEN I ARRIVED TO THE HOTEL AND I DISCOVERED THE STORY, BUT I ENDED BUYING 2 BASSES IN PAWN SHOPS AND THATS ALL WE CAN CARRY TO ARGENTINA WITH OUR HANDS, I THINK I COULD BUY THAT GUITAR FOR 35 OR 40 DOLLARS
YOU KNOW WATH IM TALKING OBOUT, WEMEN...

i have 1 epi guitars, my father get it b'coz he win music festival 1979 Jakarta, and now he give it to me,.. it's very great old guitar,. i love and dedicate this guitar to be "my mom" (sorry my english not good, hope all of you can read and understand)

I own an EPI made in Taiwan. It was my very first guitar purchased at a music store in Port hawksbury Nova Scotia circa 1981. Great guitar for the price.

I thought i was the only one with one! mine's been through alot, I'm 24 now and I bought this thing at the old circuit city in clarksville on my 12-13-14th? birthday with an amp for $75 they were closing out and the deal was around $400-$500 and I talked the people at the counter into it . man i was excited. it's a strat type double cutaway model es-300/bk and that's all I knew until I brought it into the music shop and the man there seemed excited and told me about it's history, pretty much what information he had is the same as what's here on this forum already. well I do know they don't make things as well as they used to, this and my 89' civic hatch are some of my best quality belongings. I think if I put a floyd on this it'd be better than my rg. too bad I lost the amp, it sounded good too. let me know what you find out

I thought i was the only one with one! mine's been through alot, I'm 24 now and I bought this thing at the old circuit city in clarksville on my 12-13-14th? birthday with an amp for $75 they were closing out and the deal was around $400-$500 and I talked the people at the counter into it . man i was excited. it's a strat type double cutaway model-300/bk and that's all I knew until I brought it into the music shop and the man there seemed excited and told me about it's history, pretty much what information he had is the same as what's here on this forum already. well I do know they don't make things as well as they used to, this and my 89' civic hatch are some of my best quality belongings. I think if I put a floyd on this it'd be better than my rg. too bad I lost the amp, it sounded good too. let me know what you find out

Re: mysterious guitar

: Have aquired through a friends passing, an acoustic guitar that says it's an Epi model D-10??? Has the epi sticker inside that also has the little Norlin logo in it's corner, says it's a product of Lincolnwood, Illinois and also that it's made in Taiwan. Any direction anyone can give me on a possible age, pricing, etc.????? Can't find anything about this model anywhere!

I have an Epi D-14 (Norlin... same label as the other Ds, etc.) and trying to figure out something about its age, value, why it's called "Epi" and not "Epiphone", etc. and all I've been able to determine is that Norlin produced in Taiwan between 79 and 81... anything more known now?

I also have come accross one of these. The sticker has been torn out but it says the same city & state cept made in Japan. There is also one on Ebay with the sticker torn out. This has an adjustabel bridge and a bolt on neck. Also there is no funny shaped E on mine nor on the one on Ebay...very strange..I;ve searched everywhere &there is no record of guitars made in this city, only Kalamazoo & Nasville.

: I also have come accross one of these. The sticker has been torn out but it says the same city & state cept made in Japan. There is also one on Ebay with the sticker torn out. This has an adjustabel bridge and a bolt on neck. Also there is no funny shaped E on mine nor on the one on Ebay...very strange..I;ve searched everywhere &there is no record of guitars made in this city, only Kalamazoo & Nasville.

I, too, have just inherited a EPI D-10 and after the serial number it has a "T" with a circle around it then it has Norlin Lincolnwood IL but it also has Taiwan stamped on the inside tag.. I checked in the Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars 8th Edition and it said the Taiwan guitars were made between 1979 to 1981 and Gibson owned Epi at this time. The rcpt. for the guitar was from 1978 so I guess the models come out early like cars?? But there is not a Norlin or D-10 listed anywhere under Epi, Epiphone or Gibson.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.