Re: Ryoji Matsuoka Classical

Advertisement
Posted by Gary Shoemaker on Mon, 02/04/08 - 18:35:19.

I have a Matsuoka Dreadnaught guitar I purchased new in 1975 at a trade show in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada. It has been a fabulous guitar and compares favourably to my D18 Martin (1966 vintage). It is not a classical guitar. Has a 3 piece rosewood back and sides and solid spruce top. The information on the inside says "RYOJI MATSUOAKA' LUTHIER CONSTRUCCION ARTISTICA GUITARRAS.
ANO, NO340 NAGOYA JAPAN". I have enjoyed this guitar for 33 years and will always be one of the favorites in my collection of 20 plus instuments.I have never seen another Matsuoka guitar like this model.

: Arnold, what did you end up paying for this guitar?

: : : I recently purchased a Ryoji Matsuoka M20 in mint condition. The tone is nice, strong basses, powerful, yet sweet in its intonation. I have owned an Australian Jeff Kemp, which was impeccable. I have also played a Romanillos which is the ultimate in a Classical guitar, (having visited the Semley workshop also!) At present the Matsuoka is the guitar one has when one doesn`t yet have a Romanillos?

: : Man I'd really love a Romanillos, that would just be the best. I know one of my favorite guitarist Antigoni Goni plays on one. She's the best man!!! I'd really love to get myself one but for now I'm settling for a Matsuoka. Thanks for the comments guys, you really helped!

: : Arnold

Related Gear:
Read this if you are considering buying a Classical Guitar

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Ryoji Matsuoka Guitar

I have one very similar that I bought in the mid-nineties in Claremont CA. I would go in the shop at lunch and of all the nylon string guitars, this one had such great tone and projection that I bought it for $500 then. It has the same paper label (look at this site, and it is the top label under the Matsuoka guitar http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar_vintage_guitar_dating_m1.htm) . It is also handwritten on the label No. 12, but no year, and is stamped at the base of the neck 75 418, so I assume it was made in 1975. There also a number written on the label in the upper right 15962. It looks like a spruce top (but dark), mohagany back and sides, and mohogany neck with a rosewood bridge and rosewood neck face. There are no other label markings, so I don't know what model it is, but from what I have read it looks like one of the aria models.

Any info on history of the inner markings would be helpful.

Thanks

ryoji matsuoka???

i bought this ryoji matsuoka from a guy in 1970.
there is no model no. inscribed on the label.
the label is ryoji matsuoka - luthier and some spanish words.
then this, "ANO _____ NO. 18 (HANDWRITTEN)
inside of the guitar is the numbers 74.829.

anyone know the model number for this guitar?
it appears to be well made with what looks like a spruce top that is stained somewhat amber in color with what looks like a two piece back in rosewood and rosewood sides.

it is a classical guitar that is highly polished gloss in finish.

any ideas of what model this one is? what is its value?
has a nice tone and brightness.

thanks.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.