bass guitar

Posted by Robert Wood on Tue, 12/24/02 - 08:16:18.

I recently acquired (in great shape, I might sdd), A lyle bass guitar. The thing is, I don't know what I have bought. No visible serial no. (probably under pick guard), The body style is Gibson SG. Any information will be appreciated. Thank you,
Robert

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: bass guitar

: I recently acquired (in great shape, I might sdd), A lyle bass guitar. The thing is, I don't know what I have bought. No visible serial no. (probably under pick guard), The body style is Gibson SG. Any information will be appreciated. Thank you,
: Robert
I have one, but I'm on the internet to find out more about mine as well. Even thouigh I may not be able to help you, I would like to touch base (bass) to see if we have identical models. On the back, my neck is some sort of mahogany ( probably not spelled right - forgive me), possibly luan (again not spelled right, but luan is low grade Japanese mahogany). It has a rectangular chrome plate that holds the neck in place which has Made In Japan stamped on it. At the bottom of the neck near the body is botton for the strap. The tuner cases are chrome rectangular. Odd tuners - chrome, but hard to describe the shape. On the front, the machine head is black with cursive gold LYLE. The fretboard is normal rosewood with dots for fret markers. The body is red with a black pick guard. It has two white toggle switches. Next to the switches is a wooden finger rest. Beside that are four gold volume and tone knobs, two with Vs and two with Ts. It has two chrome pickups that adjust up and down, but have a tendency to sit in cock-eyed from front to back. The bridge is a simple chrome piece that has two large standard screws to adjust the height, and notches to hold the ball end of the string. If yours is the same, I can give you only the information of how I acquired it. My father purchased it for me on Christmas in, I think, 1971. He purchased it from a Lazarus department store for $99.95. I don't know if you are familiar with lazarus, since I don;t know what part of the world you are from, but years ago, they carried toys, musical instruments, records, and all manner of other things. Now, they are pretty much a grossly, grossly, overpriced clothing store (ie: $135.00 for an IZOD banlon collared t-shirt). Concerning the bass, I don't think they have much value, but it's always nice to have even a bit of history. If you find out anything more, I would be interested in knowing. It was my first bass. I kept it in perfect shape. It looks exactly like the day I got it. My father bought me some of my early instruments. He bought me my first electric guitar. A Teisco Delray. i still have it and it is in very good shape as well. My first drum set was purchased by my mother and step-father. it is a rare Majestic Deluxe five piece with Zilco and Ludwig Stanople cymbals. Rare, because it has a 16x16 floor tom and 9x13 mounted tom. It is in perfect shape as well. Sorry to rattle on so long. I will put this page in my favorites to follow up. If you want to contact through the email address, be sure to put "Lyle Bass" in the subject line, or I will probably delete it because I won't recognize it.

Thanks,
Michael Bauer

Hi! I saw one today in a instrument shop, and I really want it, and I think it might be close to the one your talking about. I didnt look at it very long, but you desribed it!!! The bass I saw had a hollowbody though, and it had kinda a shorter neck I think, but it sounds so nice!!! hows your sound? this one was very earthy and rich, like a stand-up,
Let me know, cause I want to buy it, but does $500 sound like too much? I dont know
thanks for any help

I also have a lyle bass, but I too am trying to find out more about it. I have had it for about 4 years and bought from a second hand store. I'm actually trying to find out what it is worth so that I can sell it. Any ideas?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.