Looking for value of Jacobus Stainer Violin 16

Posted by looking for value of Jacobus Stainer 16 violin on Mon, 02/04/02 - 21:58:58.
In Reply to Vintage Music

This violin has a typed label on the indside, reading: Jacobus stainer in Absam Prope Oenipontum 16. It is in need of some tlc. has case but no bow.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Stainer violin

I purchased thru ebay a violin, that is stamped Stainer. The inside inscription reads "Jacobus Stainer in Absam prope Omnipontum 17 30 ( the 30 is in pencil)
A friend looked at the sound post which he says may be original, had beautiful straight lines made from a certain wood type. He thinks the violin may have been made in the 1820-1860 years?
Any ideas as to value? Thank you

violin

I have a violin with the following label inside: Jacobus Stainer in Absam prope Oernipontum 16 #57 (the #57 being handwritten). Made in Czecho-Slovakia. There is not stamp on the backside of the instrument that says Stainer which, from everything I've researched, would be a clear indication that it is a copy. I purchased it from a woman who inherited it from her grandfather. Am I looking at anything of great value? Thanks, Kathie

Stainer ablam 1729

I have a Stainer violin with this inscription on a piece of maple veneer that says Jacobus Stainer in Ablam prope Oenipontum 1729. On the back of the body below the neck it says something I can't make out and it is not stainer. It is something like Sc????tzx?. Angela

Stainer violins

Thanks, Angela for your reply. From everything I've read (online) about this violin maker, Jacobus Stainer began his career studying under a master violin maker in Austria and eventually began making his own violins. I think he lived in the 1600s. Since the inscription was obviously a foreign language and since it said "made" in Czecho-Slavkia I asked friends of mine (who are both from the Czech Republic) if they knew what it said. They did not know nor did they even recognize it so.....no answers there. The Sc???tzx might be something in that same language.

From everything I've read there have been many, many, many cppies produced of the Stainer violin and most of these are stamped on the back somewhere with "Stainer". I think it's safe to assume that the word on the back of yours is not this language's rendition of the name of Stainer as his name was spelled correctly on the top line of the inscription. Nothing is stamped on the back of my instrument but that does not mean it is of any value. All I know is that my violin instructor says the tone and quality of sound is acceptable for a beginner so I'm learning to play it. (Well, I'm trying to learn how to play it)

I would love to take mine to an violin appraiser (as I'm sure you would) but I know it would cost way more $ than I want to pay to have him/her tell me it's just a decent-sounding, old copy. That's all I've got. If I find out more, I will contact you again.

Again, much appreciation for your reply,

Kathie

Re: Looking for value of Jacobus Stainer Violin 16

bonjour,j'ai un violon de marque jacobus stainer in abfam oenipontom 1735 "35" étant ecrit à la main.est-ce bien son année de fabrication?
quelle est sa valeur? merçi

I got the same violin, it has a typed label on the indside, reading: Jacobus stainer in Absam Prope Oenipontum 16 and a stamp on the back reading: stainer. Unfortunately the stamp and the printed(not handwritten) label prove these violins are copies... Value depends on condition and quality of copy (could be 100$, could be 2000$) I think in our case even if in good state u should hope for no more than 100$! Our instruments probably come from Seals (around 1900) Better luck next time!

I have a Jacobus Stainer Violin and inside is it stamped: Jacobus Stainer in Ablam prope oeniponium 16. On the back it has a stamp that says Stainer. Everything I can find on the internet says Absam rather than Ablam, has anyone ever seen this? Does anyone know how I can find out the age or value of this violin?

Have you heard anything more on this? I just found one given to me by my grandfather and I wrote down the same name, except mine says Jacobus Stainer in Ablam prope Oenipontum, 1686 (with the "86" written in). I've also looked throughout internet, and you're the only one with the same name as I have on mine. I want to find some way to find the value as well. Please respond. Thanks. - Your fellow Stainer owner, Susan

I have one that came to me from my dad's estate. As a young boy I remember him playing it. I'm almost 60 now and as near as I can figure it's older than me. I take it no one out there has come up with any answers yet. I took mine to a music store locally and they said less than the price of a new unit off the shelf of 650.00 but that remains to be seen. If you choose to respond put something about "your violin" in the subject line to keep me from deleting your response as junk mail. Thanks.....Jerry

On my violin I have the same label "Jacobus Stainer in Ablam prope oeniponium 1746".
It looks to me that it is not an original instrument by Jacobus Stainer?
Cheers,
Pawel

: I have a Jacobus Stainer Violin and inside is it stamped: Jacobus Stainer in Ablam prope oeniponium 16. On the back it has a stamp that says Stainer. Everything I can find on the internet says Absam rather than Ablam, has anyone ever seen this? Does anyone know how I can find out the age or value of this violin?

: This violin has a typed label on the indside, reading: Jacobus stainer in Absam Prope Oenipontum 16. It is in need of some tlc. has case but no bow. does anyone ever read this????????????????apparently not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.