KAPA GUITARS

Posted by Tara Veneman-miller on Sat, 08/17/02 - 00:52:45.

IN REGARDS TO KAPA GUITARS. MY GRANDPA STARTED KAPA GUITARS AND I WOULD LIKE ANY OTHER INFOMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THE COMPANY. MY DADS NAME WAS ALBERT, HE DIED IN 1993 HIS MOTHER MARTHA DIED IN 1983 ALBERT VENEMAN SR. DIED OF A BRAIN TUMOR BEFORE I WAS BORN. ALBERT, MY FATHER CAME TO AMERICA IN THE LATE 50'S HIS BROTHER KOOB CAME HERE A FEW YEARS AFTER THAT, AND LIVES IN MARYLAND AND SOLD HIS COMPANY ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. MY FATHER HAD 3 KIDS AND KOOB HAD 3 KIDS 2 ALIVE TODAY. PLEASE SEND ANY INFO POSSIBLE. I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A KAPA GUITAR. TARA MILLER VENEMAN.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: KAPA GUITARS

i just pick a Kapa Acoustic at a pawn shop in MD, i'm new into town from NM and work in DC on the Hill and could not bring my guitars with me, so i went to a pawn shop to pick something for the mean time and pick up a Kapa Serial # 635 Model 735. if you have any info let me know that would be great. i've been tryin to do some research on Kapa.

demetrius

: : My father used to work for koob. i will ask him if u like and give u his email adress. I currently have a 12 string electric guitar that i have been thinking of selling so please email me back.
: : : IN REGARDS TO KAPA GUITARS. MY GRANDPA STARTED KAPA GUITARS AND I WOULD LIKE ANY OTHER INFOMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THE COMPANY. MY DADS NAME WAS ALBERT, HE DIED IN 1993 HIS MOTHER MARTHA DIED IN 1983 ALBERT VENEMAN SR. DIED OF A BRAIN TUMOR BEFORE I WAS BORN. ALBERT, MY FATHER CAME TO AMERICA IN THE LATE 50'S HIS BROTHER KOOB CAME HERE A FEW YEARS AFTER THAT, AND LIVES IN MARYLAND AND SOLD HIS COMPANY ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. MY FATHER HAD 3 KIDS AND KOOB HAD 3 KIDS 2 ALIVE TODAY. PLEASE SEND ANY INFO POSSIBLE. I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A KAPA GUITAR. TARA MILLER VENEMAN.

: i just bought a kapa arch top elec would like to date it if possible serial number is 11368

Hi, my name is Scott and i'm replying to your request for information on Kapa Guitars. I have become interested in Kapa Guitars, but there is not alot of information out there. Other than some being sold on Ebay very rarely, the only other information i have found is from a book : "Electric Guitars - The Illustrated Encyclopedia" :

"Capitalizing on the early-1960's guitar boom, Kapa guitars were the brainchild of Dutch immigrant Kope Veneman of Hyattsville, Maryland, and were launched around 1963. Known for ultra-thin necks and an unusual 12-string vibrato, Kapa launched its first offset-shape solid bodies with the Challenger model name.
Thinner-body Continental models appeared in 1966. However, names were used indiscriminately on many models. The Hofner-style pickups were mostly made by Kapa itself. Kapa's popular Minstrel teardrop-shape guitars were introduced in 1968, and Japanese thinlines and solidbodies (plus oriental hardware) began to appear in 1969. A very few all-Japanese guitars appeared near Kapa's end, in 1970, when parts and equipment were sold to Micro-Frets and Mosrite."

So far this has been all i can find. in the book it shows a 12 string Kapa Continental (i got the book at Borders for $10) so if you haven't seen it, it might be cool to check out.

I don't know how much information you have recieved on your grandfathers company, but one thing that i am very interested in but so far have not found is a schematic or blueprint type diagrams or drawings of some of the guitars. I want to build a kind of modern version of a Kapa Continental, but still stay true to its original body style, specs, etc... and pictures just aren't good for this. So, any information you can forward to me would be very appreciated if this is something you don't mind doing, and if you have any questions for me, or about the artical, or guitar parts (sorry, i have no clue how much you know about guitars) descriptions, etc, please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

I just purchased my second kapa,a '65 (I believe) wildcat... best guitars i've ever played! i've had a '66(I believe again) challenger for about four years and it had been my favorite guitar until i found the new one....Great pickups (supposedly german) great action, and the coolest body shape ever(In my opinion twice as cool as mosrite,and three thousand times cooler than a stratocaster)... keep the dream alive! if anyone has a kapa for sale please let me know!! keep it real-wil

: IN REGARDS TO KAPA GUITARS. MY GRANDPA STARTED KAPA GUITARS AND I WOULD LIKE ANY OTHER INFOMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THE COMPANY. MY DADS NAME WAS ALBERT, HE DIED IN 1993 HIS MOTHER MARTHA DIED IN 1983 ALBERT VENEMAN SR. DIED OF A BRAIN TUMOR BEFORE I WAS BORN. ALBERT, MY FATHER CAME TO AMERICA IN THE LATE 50'S HIS BROTHER KOOB CAME HERE A FEW YEARS AFTER THAT, AND LIVES IN MARYLAND AND SOLD HIS COMPANY ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. MY FATHER HAD 3 KIDS AND KOOB HAD 3 KIDS 2 ALIVE TODAY. PLEASE SEND ANY INFO POSSIBLE. I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A KAPA GUITAR. TARA MILLER VENEMAN.

Hope you found one, I just got one but it needs work,

: IN REGARDS TO KAPA GUITARS. I own a music shop www.jdmusic.com and we get these guitars now and then, Less now then we did then, Right now I have a Kapa Challenger HB Bass with Fender type headstock, and Framus looking tuners. Very nice neck with low string action, 2 HB pickups, F holes, 3 tone burst finish. $350.00 THEY HAVE BECOME WAY MORE COLLECTIBLE. PRICES ARE UP.

I acutally knew your Grandfather and Father. I am from Silver Spring MD and took lessons at Veneman Music on Georgia Ave in Silver Spring. The first electric guitar that I ever played was a KAPA Cobra and I loved it. I own 2 still to this day, a Kapa Cont. 6 string and a KAPA Cont. Bass. I love them dearly. I left Silver Spring in 1970 when I joined the Navy and I alway wondered what happened to the store and to all of the wonderful guitar's that your family produced. They are great guitars. If you know of anywhere that I can get parts for them let me know. I am restoring my 6 string and it needs a lot. I just bought it on Ebay last year and it's a basket case.

Hi,
I have a Kapa Minstrel Teardrop guitar in hs case for sale $400. Email toylady@cableone.net. I have many pics I can email. Thanks, Terri: IN REGARDS TO KAPA GUITARS. MY GRANDPA STARTED KAPA GUITARS AND I WOULD LIKE ANY OTHER INFOMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THE COMPANY. MY DADS NAME WAS ALBERT, HE DIED IN 1993 HIS MOTHER MARTHA DIED IN 1983 ALBERT VENEMAN SR. DIED OF A BRAIN TUMOR BEFORE I WAS BORN. ALBERT, MY FATHER CAME TO AMERICA IN THE LATE 50'S HIS BROTHER KOOB CAME HERE A FEW YEARS AFTER THAT, AND LIVES IN MARYLAND AND SOLD HIS COMPANY ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. MY FATHER HAD 3 KIDS AND KOOB HAD 3 KIDS 2 ALIVE TODAY. PLEASE SEND ANY INFO POSSIBLE. I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A KAPA GUITAR. TARA MILLER VENEMAN.

Trivia Question: First electric guitar played in a Catholic Mass?

Answer: Kapa Minstrel

: Trivia Question: First electric guitar played in a Catholic Mass?

: Answer: Kapa Minstrel

Question, what church and how do you know?

question, who was the first rock drummer to play in a catholic church

Dear Tara- If you have not as yet gotten answers to your request for information about KAPA electric guitars and basses of the late 60's I would be very surprized. The history of KAPA guitars is documented in books. The vintage instruments themselves are (even now) available for sale in various places including one business in Calif., which has about 4 for sale currently. Here in Boston a particular store has had 2 for sale and I expect it will again. IF YOU ARE Still In The Dark I will Supply All The Information I have Just Described. : IN REGARDS TO KAPA GUITARS. MY GRANDPA STARTED KAPA GUITARS AND I WOULD LIKE ANY OTHER INFOMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THE COMPANY. MY DADS NAME WAS ALBERT, HE DIED IN 1993 HIS MOTHER MARTHA DIED IN 1983 ALBERT VENEMAN SR. DIED OF A BRAIN TUMOR BEFORE I WAS BORN. ALBERT, MY FATHER CAME TO AMERICA IN THE LATE 50'S HIS BROTHER KOOB CAME HERE A FEW YEARS AFTER THAT, AND LIVES IN MARYLAND AND SOLD HIS COMPANY ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. MY FATHER HAD 3 KIDS AND KOOB HAD 3 KIDS 2 ALIVE TODAY. PLEASE SEND ANY INFO POSSIBLE. I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A KAPA GUITAR. TARA MILLER VENEMAN.

I notices your message while researching information on my Kapa Continental electric 12 string guitar. I purchased it in 1972 and it has a while body and black scratch shield. The fret board is very dark. I'm not sure if that means its mahogany or perhaps another wood. The bottom line is that I'm looking to find it a good home. Please let me know if you are still looking for a Kapa guitar. I have a feeling this one is fairly rare.

KAPA Guitar

I am very interested in that guitar if the price is negotiable a little bit. Can you send me more close up photos and maybe answer a few questions or maybe we could have a conversation. Let me know.

: IN REGARDS TO KAPA GUITARS. MY GRANDPA STARTED KAPA GUITARS AND I WOULD LIKE ANY OTHER INFOMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THE COMPANY. MY DADS NAME WAS ALBERT, HE DIED IN 1993 HIS MOTHER MARTHA DIED IN 1983 ALBERT VENEMAN SR. DIED OF A BRAIN TUMOR BEFORE I WAS BORN. ALBERT, MY FATHER CAME TO AMERICA IN THE LATE 50'S HIS BROTHER KOOB CAME HERE A FEW YEARS AFTER THAT, AND LIVES IN MARYLAND AND SOLD HIS COMPANY ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. MY FATHER HAD 3 KIDS AND KOOB HAD 3 KIDS 2 ALIVE TODAY. PLEASE SEND ANY INFO POSSIBLE. I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A KAPA GUITAR. TARA MILLER VENEMAN.
I bought a Kapa Challenger in 1964 at Veneman's. I still have the guitar and the hardshell case and the original bill of sale. The guitar is excellent and I would never part with it. I used it many years in a band from 1964-1969. The Challenger is the sunburst version with the whammy bar and dual pickups. Your family produced a great guitar. It's too bad it didn't become more popular back then. It was a great value for the money.

: : IN REGARDS TO KAPA GUITARS. MY GRANDPA STARTED KAPA GUITARS AND I WOULD LIKE ANY OTHER INFOMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THE COMPANY. MY DADS NAME WAS ALBERT, HE DIED IN 1993 HIS MOTHER MARTHA DIED IN 1983 ALBERT VENEMAN SR. DIED OF A BRAIN TUMOR BEFORE I WAS BORN. ALBERT, MY FATHER CAME TO AMERICA IN THE LATE 50'S HIS BROTHER KOOB CAME HERE A FEW YEARS AFTER THAT, AND LIVES IN MARYLAND AND SOLD HIS COMPANY ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. MY FATHER HAD 3 KIDS AND KOOB HAD 3 KIDS 2 ALIVE TODAY. PLEASE SEND ANY INFO POSSIBLE. I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A KAPA GUITAR. TARA MILLER VENEMAN.
: I bought a Kapa Challenger in 1964 at Veneman's. I still have the guitar and the hardshell case and the original bill of sale. The guitar is excellent and I would never part with it. I used it many years in a band from 1964-1969. The Challenger is the sunburst version with the whammy bar and dual pickups. Your family produced a great guitar. It's too bad it didn't become more popular back then. It was a great value for the money.

This is mark,
O my god your family did produce great guitars.
I am just getting started playing and I have an all original KAPA Continental. If you would like I could send you some pics of it, It's from 1966.

: : IN REGARDS TO KAPA GUITARS. MY GRANDPA STARTED KAPA GUITARS AND I WOULD LIKE ANY OTHER INFOMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME ABOUT THE COMPANY. MY DADS NAME WAS ALBERT, HE DIED IN 1993 HIS MOTHER MARTHA DIED IN 1983 ALBERT VENEMAN SR. DIED OF A BRAIN TUMOR BEFORE I WAS BORN. ALBERT, MY FATHER CAME TO AMERICA IN THE LATE 50'S HIS BROTHER KOOB CAME HERE A FEW YEARS AFTER THAT, AND LIVES IN MARYLAND AND SOLD HIS COMPANY ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO. MY FATHER HAD 3 KIDS AND KOOB HAD 3 KIDS 2 ALIVE TODAY. PLEASE SEND ANY INFO POSSIBLE. I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A KAPA GUITAR. TARA MILLER VENEMAN.
: I bought a Kapa Challenger in 1964 at Veneman's. I still have the guitar and the hardshell case and the original bill of sale. The guitar is excellent and I would never part with it. I used it many years in a band from 1964-1969. The Challenger is the sunburst version with the whammy bar and dual pickups. Your family produced a great guitar. It's too bad it didn't become more popular back then. It was a great value for the money.
O my god your family did produce great guitars. I am just getting started playing and I have an all original KAPA Continental. If you would like I could send you some pics of it, It's from 1966.

I have had my KAPA Cobra from 1963 till now and still play it on a regular bases . I"m also looking for more of these fine guitars.

In response to Tara Veneman- I remember Kapa guitars quite well. Like many in the 60's, I belonged to a garage rock band, and bought my equipment (which I still own) at Veneman's Music store on Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring. I lived in Hyattsville, Maryland, within walking distance of the Kapa guitar factory in the Hyattsville industrial park near Edmonston. We would walk to the factory occasionally and look through the discarded parts thrown away outside for things we could use. Through trading with friends, I aquired a Minstrel guitar neck and sunburst teardrop body, which I still own. I would like to make a re-creation of this guitar someday if I could find a picture of the original. One of the members of our band played a Kapa, but I cannot remember which model. Please contact me.

"One of the members of our band played a Kapa, but I cannot remember which model."
The guitar was a Kapa Continental.........or the Philip Lizard model?

My first electric guitar was a Kapa Continental six-string. Over the past few years I've kicked myself more than a few times for parting with it. The neck and action were extraordinary! And the pickups were great. It was not only extremely easy to play, it had a great sound!

Last week my grandfather gave me a Kapa Bass Guitar, Model 500. It is in excellent condition and I do not know the value of it.
I am still wondering if I want to keep it or not.

I have a twelve string kapa guitar that I purchased new around 1964. If interested get back to me.

Last week my grandfather gave me a Kapa Bass Guitar, Model 500. It is in excellent condition and I do not know the value of it.
I am still wondering if I want to keep it or not.

: Last week my grandfather gave me a Kapa Bass Guitar, Model 500. It is in excellent condition and I do not know the value of it.
: I am still wondering if I want to keep it or not.

Hi- James I'm interested in the Kapa bass if its' for sale
Thanks billmorris52@hotmail.com

JUST BOUGHT KAPA 12 STRING ELECTRIC. NEED PARTS,CAN U HELP GOT IT FOR 50.00 IN NORTHERN CALIF.

Hi! I have a KAPA Continental 12-string electric that I bought around 1968 or so. I don't know that I'm interested in parting with it, but just stumbled on your message while browsing around. I just thought it interesting to hear from a descendent of the company founder. I also noticed a KAPA guitar (different) being sold on eBay. If you read this, please email me if you would like to talk about the guitar.

: Hi! I have a KAPA Continental 12-string electric that I bought around 1968 or so. I don't know that I'm interested in parting with it, but just stumbled on your message while browsing around. I just thought it interesting to hear from a descendent of the company founder. I also noticed a KAPA guitar (different) being sold on eBay. If you read this, please email me if you would like to talk about the guitar.

I'm interested, please email me back with a price.

I have a kapa hollow body it needs electric parts but otherwise ok is it any good, worth fixing?

: Hi! I have a KAPA Continental 12-string electric that I bought around 1968 or so. I don't know that I'm interested in parting with it, but just stumbled on your message while browsing around. I just thought it interesting to hear from a descendent of the company founder. I also noticed a KAPA guitar (different) being sold on eBay. If you read this, please email me if you would like to talk about the guitar.

I have one that someone gave me recently and it's great, what is it worth?? Who are you referring to that is a decendent of Kapa Guitars?? Where were they made? How do I contact this person. Where can I find out what year mine is and when were the start mfg. dates and end mfg. dates??: : Hi! I have a KAPA Continental 12-string electric that I bought around 1968 or so. I don't know that I'm interested in parting with it, but just stumbled on your message while browsing around. I just thought it interesting to hear from a descendent of the company founder. I also noticed a KAPA guitar (different) being sold on eBay. If you read this, please email me if you would like to talk about the guitar.

I just purchased a Kapa ContinentalI don't know much about them myself. Were you able to track the history of your serial number to get information?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.