Re: kimbara acoustic guitar

Advertisement
Posted by Peter Stephenson on Sun, 01/09/05 - 04:22:20.
In Reply to S&L MUSIC GEAR : kimbara

: Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about kimbara
: accoustic guitars just came across one, it was made in korea
: and it has square shaped pearl insets on the frets,
: it also has the pearl trim the whole way round the edge of the guitar
: and going up the back of the guitar in a V shape .
: the label on the inside of the guitar says KIMBARA specially made for
: FCN.england model no. 8/Y
: I would appreciate any information about it .

Hullo,

I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar that I bought in approx. 1975 for about £36. The label reads: "Kimbara, specially made in Japan for FCN London. Model no. 169 Serial no. 46118" The design is essentially plain but with a mosaic design around the sound hole.

I am trying to get a value for it so that I can sell it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

kimbara guitars modle 31ssctgn

kimbara guitars modle 31ssctgn can anyone tell me how much this is worth?

Kimbara acoustic guitar

I would like to know the history & the value of model number 178/L, serial number 80631, if anyone can offer me any information, I'd be very greatful, many thanks:-)

Kimbara 178L

how weird i have been looking for nearly 7 years to find another kimbara like the one I have, mine is serial 80622 just below yours. did you get a value for yours. how long have you owned it for. I havent been able to trace mine back to anyone else either

kimbara 178L

how weird i have been looking for nearly 7 years to find another kimbara like the one I have, mine is serial 80622 just below yours. did you get a value for yours. how long have you owned it for

kimbara 3/J

hi!! my immaculate 3/j is in near perfect condition with minor slight markings only. original shop stickers etc.... city of London music store... think it's possibly older than me.... (not tellin). any ideas of possible value?

KIMBARA JUMBO GUITAR NO 73,MADE IN JAPAN FOR FCN-LONDON

CHECK THIS ONE FOR SALE ON EBAY 2ND FEB 2012.

Hi, I have a acoustic Kimbara guitar.

Specially made in Japan for FCN-London : Model no. 30

Would anyone know the value of this guitar?

Hi, I paid one 50 euros 10

Hi,

I paid one 50 euros 10 hours ago.

Sounds great.

I checked this thread and thought I should submit a follow-up for anyone interested in these guitars.

Mine is a rare one: its a Kimbara 29/L, and you will find no reference to it anywhere (well I came up with nothing anyway). It's a classical 6 -string, with a single cutaway and its also electro-acoustic, with a piezo-type pickup under the bridge, with a lead socket in the strap lug and two control pots on the top, close to the neck. The build is similar to the 8/Y and the quality is easy to see on this model. I have played many guitars and this is one of my favourites. The tone is round and deliberate, and it always holds tune even with nylon strings.

kkimbara

hi there ive just came into a kimbara 30/m made in korea ,was wondering what value is???

My Kimbara is a model 6/S. I bought it in a music shop in Surbiton in 1980ish. I've since lived in Texas, Suffolk, Nevada, Ohio, and now Florida, and my Kimbara has followed me everywhere. It has a few nicks and scratches now but I still love playing it.
My son has a $1000 Martin, but I still argue my Kimbara is as nice to hear as his baby!

GUITAR

HI BOUGHT KIMBARA 6/S IN LONDON ( CANNING TOWN) IN 1989 A GREAT GUITAR TONY N IRELAND

Re: kimbara acoustic guitar 12 string

Hello, i've a kimbara 12 string guitar number 72. And i was wondering whether anybody could give me a rough idea on price??. Thankyou

: Hello, i've a kimbara 12 string guitar number 72. And i was wondering whether anybody could give me a rough idea on price??. Thankyou

:
: : Hello, i've a kimbara 12 string guitar number 72. And i was wondering whether anybody could give me a rough idea on price??. Thankyou
Found this post yesterday. They seem to be priced up to £150
I am looking for a replacement bridge for a 72 has anyone got the dimensions

kimbara acoustic guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: kimbara acoustic guitar

:I have a Model 73 which, like Graham, I purchased in Uxbridge in 1974. I guess this was at 'Dawkes' on the Hillingdon Road; I think I paid £37 for it. It's the model others have mentioned with the three-piece back, and would appear to be a copy of the Martin D35 with the same shape headstock, too. It's matured magnificently over the years and has a great tone. The action has always been a little high and consequently things become harder the further past the 9th fret you go. I never got this sorted, and I suppose I'm just used to it now. I took it to a guitar shop to have some slight cracking in the top assessed, which I thought may be down to mis-use. Nothing untoward was found, but the dealer dashed my hopes by suggesting that it probably wasn't worth much more than I paid for it 30-odd years ago!

I submitted my comments on the Kimbara 8/Y acoustic about 2 years ago. Yes, a passable copy of the Martin D-35 but missing the wonderful aroma of solid rosewood and spruce - is there an aerosol of wood essences available anywhere?
The high action on my guitar meant it wasn't played very often. Recently my brother turned up without his guitar, and, somewhat reluctant to let him get his hot sticky hands on my new Gibson TV Hummingbird, I took the truss rod nut out of the Kimbara, installed a thin washer, tightened up and got the action down to an acceptable level, and finally installed new Elixir Nano Phosphor Bronze 11's. What a transformation! Easy action and beautiful tones. The sound is more like you would expect from a mahogany-bodied Gibson and I reckon it would compare very favourably with an older Gibson, who, after all, weren't above making guitar bodies out of laminates for certain models.
Having Kimbara on the headstock, rather than Gibson, makes all the difference, value-wise. Crazy world.

kimbara acoustic guitar

I've also got a Kimbara, "made in Japan for FCN England", Model Number 2/6. Got it in Manchester in 1978 for about £70 (a whole weeks wages!). Beautiful tone especially with Ernie Ball phosphor bronze extra lights (although I haven't seen them for years). The neck was snapped off mine and has been glued back on, and it's still sounding great. I've got an Ovation now but the Kimbara wil always be my baby.

Here is the reply I was sent by FCN music earlier this month (July 2008):

"There has never been a “KIMBARA” factory as such. The brand name is the property of FCN Music and has been used on guitars they have commissioned from various factories since the late 60’s. The brand name was first registered on 2nd January 1968.
Initially guitars were produced in Japan, in the late 1980’s guitars were sourced from Korea and in the late 1990’s instruments moved to factories in China.
The Kimbara brand mark has been used on Classical, Steel Strung and Electric guitars. The 8/Y model was available from 1977-1990 last RRP £186.00.

kimbara acoustic guitar

Hi, I am Terry in Cornwall U.K. Started playing in 1962 when 14 . Stopped playing in 1968.Started again, briefly, in early 1970s when I bought my Kimbara.Stopped playing for 30 years have now started again. My Kimbara was bought for about£50.Beautiful. Label says-Specially made in Japan for FCN-London, Model No.108 Serial No. 43003.Sounds fantastic,so resonent and sonorous, but then I am biased! Shame that I can not do it justice. As my tutor once said"you are my best student for playing the wrong note". Praise indeed!! I am using Savarez strings at present. I could not buy a guitar of this class in U.K. for less than about £300- £500, possibly more. Hope that this helps.

Hi Terry..greetings from fellow Cornish resident. Have just replied to Kimbara comment by Jackie Prachek, which might be of interest. The price you paid 30 years ago sounds about right -unfortunately it's probably still about the right price now in 2007! I never could see the point of spending a lot of money on a "name" guitar, that is, not until I found a second-hand Martin D-16, which just sings and makes me want to improve my playing to do justice to the exquisite tones and sound,- and like everything else, lasting,superb quality does not come cheap!
Anyway, 'nuff of this,- I'm near Penzance, if you fancy a Kimbara re-union anytime! Best wishes. John Dayman

kimbara acoustic guitar

: : my guitar is a model 169 made in Japan for FCN London, I bought it in 1964 second hand, for £15, it's a real cracker, low action, deep box, (can't beat a deep box}, nice wide fret, and I love it. Unfortunately, I left it in the sun , and the head split, not one to panic , I taped it , then glued it, left it a full week and removed the bandages,it was as though nothing had happened, I have played it for the last 25 years, absolutely superb, until today when one of the pegs decided to rattle it's clack, top E, ALWAYS A PROBLEM! So if any of you have , or know where to get a peg , please let me know. ps. I am a Guernseyman

: : Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about kimbara
: : accoustic guitars just came across one, it was made in korea
: : and it has square shaped pearl insets on the frets,
: : it also has the pearl trim the whole way round the edge of the guitar
: : and going up the back of the guitar in a V shape .
: : the label on the inside of the guitar says KIMBARA specially made for
: : FCN.england model no. 8/Y
: : I would appreciate any information about it .

: Hullo,

: I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar that I bought in approx. 1975 for about £36. The label reads: "Kimbara, specially made in Japan for FCN London. Model no. 169 Serial no. 46118" The design is essentially plain but with a mosaic design around the sound hole.

: I am trying to get a value for it so that I can sell it.

I bought my kimbara model 71 back in the mid 70's whilst comparing it with a guild that cost four times as much and sounded only marginally better. if you want to sell," wizzard guitars" in Doncaster England buy vintage guitars and I've seen Kimbaras on their wanted sheet.... But with good strings, you'll not better it on sound or price, and its vintage.

HI Jackie..I have the same model Kimbara (8/Y).Yes,Far-East copy, something they were renowned for. I'm into Martin guitars and you can see where the idea for this one came from. Check out the D-35, in 1965 they started making the three-piece back, and in 1969 they introduced the D-41..hey presto, the Kimbara 8/Y. A very good copy of Martin ideas but I assume the body and top are all laminates. I use Light gauge strings (12-54). Tone isn't bad until you pick up something like a Martin D-18 or 28, then you know why you paid peanuts for the Kimbara! Can never see them achieving any great value or being collector's pieces, but they are well-made and look great hanging on the wall. Best regards. John Dayman.

kimbara acoustic guitar

Hi,

I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar, bought over thirty years ago for £30. The label inside reads 'Specially made in Japan for FCN London Model Number 71 Serial No. 44063'. It has round shaped pearl insets on the frets. It has survived a great number of house moves etc. and has a lovely rich sound.

kimbara acoustic guitar

: Hullo,

: I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar that I bought in approx. 1975 for about £36. The label reads: "Kimbara, specially made in Japan for FCN London. Model no. 169 Serial no. 46118" The design is essentially plain but with a mosaic design around the sound hole.

: I am trying to get a value for it so that I can sell it.

: : : Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about kimbara
: : : accoustic guitars just came across one, it was made in korea
: : : and it has square shaped pearl insets on the frets,
: : : it also has the pearl trim the whole way round the edge of the guitar
: : : and going up the back of the guitar in a V shape .
: : : the label on the inside of the guitar says KIMBARA specially made for
: : : FCN.england model no. 8/Y
: : : I would appreciate any information about it .

: : Hullo,

: : I have a Kimbara acoustic guitar that I bought in approx. 1975 for about £36. The label reads: "Kimbara, specially made in Japan for FCN London. Model no. 169 Serial no. 46118" The design is essentially plain but with a mosaic design around the sound hole.

: : I am trying to get a value for it so that I can sell it.

>>>>> Hi, I too have the 169 model but mine is 31028, which shows how many of these they were making. I bought it round about 1969 in a music shop in London for around £24. It has a lovely tone. The value of a guitar is how much it would cost you to replace with an equivalent. I won't be selling mine.
It's too valuable to me.

kimbara acoustic guitar

Hey I have a kimbara guitar which was given to me by a relation. I figure it's well over 20 years old but i kno little about this guitar or it's value. Mine reads inside: Kimbara Specially made in Japan for FCN England Model No. 8/Y. It also fits the description you gave with the pearl trimming and V-shape. I'd never sell it because they're so rare but i'd love to kno what its worth!

I've had mine since the late 70's. Cost about £60 then. I recall seeing one in a guitar shop in Oxford circa 1986 and the price was £120 or there abouts.

I have a kimbara acoustic. Black with Red around the edge & Sound hole. It reads
Kimbara
Specially Made For
FCN - England
Model No. 15/U
Made In Korea.
I wanna know what its worth.

I traded a Washburn accustic guitar red with gold trim, for this Kimbara accustic guitar model no. N-71, specially made in Japan for FCN-ENGLAND. I really would like to know what it is worth. Looks plain, but plays really well, if any one could tell me what the price of this guitar would has costed brand new, or the value of it now I would really appreciate it.

I also have acoustic kimbara I swapped for a cd walkman in 1990. It's from the 70's. I have written many songs on this guitar. It's been great. I have since bought many accoustic guitars, Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, Fenders and my Kimbara is still the best. Says "Specially MAde in Japan for FCN London. Model no.71 SN 44042." This accoustic is super plain, no frills. I have no idea what it's worth

: I aquired my Kimbara through a house clearance sale in 1989. It reads Kinbara specially made in Japan for FCN-London model no.73 60323 it is indeed a quality guitar and I too have no idea of its origin. I prefer my Martin to be honest but all my mates love it as jammin second guitar. sorry i cant be of any further help. please e-mail me if you find out more. It is as described with the mother of pearl inlay, but my fret inlays are round.

: I aquired my Kirough a house clearance sale in 1989. It reads Kinbara specially made in Japan for FCN-London model no.73 60323 it is indeed a quality guitar and I too have no idea of its origin. I prefer my Martin to be honest but all my mates love it as jammin second guitar. sorry i cant be of any further help. please e-mail me if you find out more. It is as described with the mother of pearl inlay, but my fret inlays are round.

I also have acoustic kimbara. I got mine in 1994 from one of my family. It says "Specially Made in Japan for FCN London. Model no.73" and I never go anywhere without it!

kimbara acoustic guitar

i had a kimbara for christmas in1982. hand crafted in japan for f.n.c. model no. 57/u serial no. 80903.cost about £80 still plays great .don't know her value but she's priceless to me.

hi ive got a kimbara acoustic from around the same era,im trying to find out more about it,has yours got square inlays with green coloured triangles in them......rosewood or mahogany dark fretboard.

hi ive got a kimbara acoustic from around the same era,im trying to find out more about it,has yours got square inlays with green coloured triangles in them......rosewood or mahogany dark fretboard.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.