Harmony Sovereign guitar

Posted by steve wright on Wed, 12/03/03 - 07:26:00.

I have an old Harmony Sovereign guitar that played and sounded great except for the bridge (where the strings connect to the body of the guitar). The bridge was starting to come loose so I took it to a repair shop and had it re-glued. When I put the strings on it will not tune. The G cord now plays on the 4th fret. Everything look just as it was but it seems to have a shorter harmonic distance as if the bridge should be moved away from the neck about 2 inches. Any ideas would be appreciated

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Harmony Sovereign guitar

: I have an old Harmony Sovereign guitar that played and sounded great except for the bridge (where the strings connect to the body of the guitar). The bridge was starting to come loose so I took it to a repair shop and had it re-glued. When I put the strings on it will not tune. The G cord now plays on the 4th fret. Everything look just as it was but it seems to have a shorter harmonic distance as if the bridge should be moved away from the neck about 2 inches. Any ideas would be appreciated

Hi Steve,

I have been around friends that are luthiers and have done some minor work myself. I would find out the model of your guitar and then check some of the internet sites to see if someone has the same model as yours. I would then see if they could get a measurement from the end of the fret that meets the sound hole and send it to you. Then you could check it against the bridge placement on your guitar. The harmonics are off...it's along the same principle with the bridge of a mandolin. When the bridge has been moved one has to reposition the bridge to make the harmonics correct. Hope this helps!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.