Info on a 1972 Yamaha Classical Guitar GC 20 D

Posted by Alan Sheppard on Sat, 07/14/01 - 20:34:06.

Category : Classical Guitar

Comment : Need some help gathering information on my guitar - Classical GC 20D, Serial # 1911 - a 1972 model made by the Nippon Gakki Co. Ltd. of Japan. This guitar was purchased in Canada in 1976 from a store in Vancouver. I has Jacquaranda back and sides, Honduras rosewood neck, spruce top (I believe), ebony fingerboard and a lot of inlay around the body, (front and back) and sound hole. The head of the guitar was made with a hole through it for looks above the string slots. Purchased new for $800 Canadian and it was the top of the line handmade guitar at the time. It is in good shape and I am told it is a very well made guitar with excellent sound. It is signed in Japanese, I do not understand the characters. Can someone give me information as to the maker and anything else that might give me some insight to it and possibly the value of the guitar. I have not been able to get any information in Canada or the USA. Thanks very much, Alan Sheppard 50 Clearview Drive Bedford, Nova Scotia Canada, B4A 3C8
Name : Alan Sheppard
E-MAIL : ashepprd@accesscable.net

Mailing address : 50 Clearview Drive, Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada, B4A 3C8

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

1972 Yamaha Classical GC 20D

Brian,
I did not realize that there was any action on this guitar. Yes I still have it and I had emailed Yamaha in Japan in 2001 and was emailed back by Yoichi Oba as seen below.

The Japanese character name reads Toshio Kato. Mr.Toshio Kato is our first classical guitar designer, And this model was Hand crafted high end guitar. The top board is actually Pine which is called Ezomatsu or Hokkaido spruce, growing in northern part of Japan(Hokkaido). It is very hard to say its value now, but if we produced it with same specification the, price will be around US $5,000. To see the pictures, the condition looks very good. And the cute butterfly sound hole inlay, now we do not use it in current models.
Best regards,
23/09/2001

My guitar is fantastic with a brilliant sound, the one and only knock against it is there are no fret markers. I once used a dab of white out on the 7th fret (on the side of the neck) but is long since disappeared and I don't need it anyway.

Alan

Re: Info on a 1972 Yamaha Classical Guitar GC 20 D

Yamaha of Japan indicate that this guitar was made by Toshio Kato their first classical luthier and that it was a high end handmade classical guitar. If this was on the market today it would be worth $5,000 US.

Alan

There is now a nice Yamaha GC 20 D by Toshiro Kato posted in Flickr. The Katos from this time period are few and far between and are certainly fine handmade instruments. There are many rumors that Kato signed his name on a bunch of Yamaha stuff in later years. Even those instruments are sought after and carry a high value with both players and collectors.

Info on a 1972 Yamaha Classical Guitar GC 20 D

Hi !

I have a old classical guitar, (Yamaha GC-20-D 1972) pratically mint, and I search the value of this instrument, Do you know, if I sell this instrument ?

Thanks You !

Sylvain

I did some research in 2002 and wrote to the Japanese factory as my guitar (1972)was made long before North America had established its own Yamhama base.

By sending digital photos of the guitar and the markings inside the body with serial number I was told who the luthier was and that he was still working with Yamaha. They told me that it was one of their better handmade guitars with bueatiful inlay all around the guitar and the butterfly soundhole. They gave me a price at that time of $5,000 USD if the instrument would have been still in production.

: Hi !

: I have a old classical guitar, (Yamaha GC-20-D 1972) pratically mint, and I search the value of this instrument, Do you know, if I sell this instrument ?

: Thanks You !

: Sylvain

: Category : Classical Guitar

: Comment : Need some help gathering information on my guitar - Classical GC 20D, Serial # 1911 - a 1972 model made by the Nippon Gakki Co. Ltd. of Japan. This guitar was purchased in Canada in 1976 from a store in Vancouver. I has Jacquaranda back and sides, Honduras rosewood neck, spruce top (I believe), ebony fingerboard and a lot of inlay around the body, (front and back) and sound hole. The head of the guitar was made with a hole through it for looks above the string slots. Purchased new for $800 Canadian and it was the top of the line handmade guitar at the time. It is in good shape and I am told it is a very well made guitar with excellent sound. It is signed in Japanese, I do not understand the characters. Can someone give me information as to the maker and anything else that might give me some insight to it and possibly the value of the guitar. I have not been able to get any information in Canada or the USA. Thanks very much, Alan Sheppard 50 Clearview Drive Bedford, Nova Scotia Canada, B4A 3C8
: Name : Alan Sheppard
: E-MAIL : ashepprd@accesscable.net

: Country : Canada
: Mailing address : 50 Clearview Drive, Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada, B4A 3C8

: : Category : Classical Guitar

: : Comment : Need some help gathering information on my guitar - Classical GC 20D, Serial # 1911 - a 1972 model made by the Nippon Gakki Co. Ltd. of Japan. This guitar was purchased in Canada in 1976 from a store in Vancouver. I has Jacquaranda back and sides, Honduras rosewood neck, spruce top (I believe), ebony fingerboard and a lot of inlay around the body, (front and back) and sound hole. The head of the guitar was made with a hole through it for looks above the string slots. Purchased new for $800 Canadian and it was the top of the line handmade guitar at the time. It is in good shape and I am told it is a very well made guitar with excellent sound. It is signed in Japanese, I do not understand the characters. Can someone give me information as to the maker and anything else that might give me some insight to it and possibly the value of the guitar. I have not been able to get any information in Canada or the USA. Thanks very much, Alan Sheppard 50 Clearview Drive Bedford, Nova Scotia Canada, B4A 3C8
: : Name : Alan Sheppard
: : E-MAIL : ashepprd@accesscable.net

: : Country : Canada
: : Mailing address : 50 Clearview Drive, Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada, B4A 3C8

: HI ALAN,

WELL DONE ON GATHERING THIS INFO! I, ALSO, OWN THIS VERY SAME GUITAR. I PURCHASED MINE IN 1972 FROM JOHNNY SMITH (A WORLD-CLASS JAZZ GUITARIST - LOOK HIM UP!) AT HIS SHOP IN COLORADO SPRINGS. YAMAHA HAD SENT HIM TWO OF THESE FOR THE PURPOSE OF GETTING HIS CRITIQUE. HE KEPT THE ONE HE FELT WAS THE BEST AND I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO BUY IT. I HOPE YOU HAVE KEPT YOURS - I HAVE NO INTENTION OF SELLING MINE. THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL, HAND-MADE, RARE GUITARS WHICH SEEM ONLY TO IMPROVE WITH AGE. I ALSO OWN A 1984 PAULINO BERNABE, WHICH I PURCHASED FROM PAULINO AT HIS SHOP IN MADRID. IT, TOO, IS A MAGNIFICENT INSTRUMENT - SOMEHOW, I ALWAYS SEEM TO RETURN TO MY YAMAHA.

BEST WISHES, BRIAN GREENE

: : Category : Classical Guitar

: : : Comment : Need some help gathering information on my guitar - Classical GC 20D, Serial # 1911 - a 1972 model made by the Nippon Gakki Co. Ltd. of Japan. This guitar was purchased in Canada in 1976 from a store in Vancouver. I has Jacquaranda back and sides, Honduras rosewood neck, spruce top (I believe), ebony fingerboard and a lot of inlay around the body, (front and back) and sound hole. The head of the guitar was made with a hole through it for looks above the string slots. Purchased new for $800 Canadian and it was the top of the line handmade guitar at the time. It is in good shape and I am told it is a very well made guitar with excellent sound. It is signed in Japanese, I do not understand the characters. Can someone give me information as to the maker and anything else that might give me some insight to it and possibly the value of the guitar. I have not been able to get any information in Canada or the USA. Thanks very much, Alan Sheppard 50 Clearview Drive Bedford, Nova Scotia Canada, B4A 3C8
: : : Name : Alan Sheppard
: : : E-MAIL : ashepprd@accesscable.net

: : : Country : Canada
: : : Mailing address : 50 Clearview Drive, Bedford, Nova Scotia, Canada, B4A 3C8

I own this guitar. I bought it new in Chicago at Sherry-Brener LTD. It is a beautiful instrument with high output. I also have a Martin 00-18C Classical guitar. I would like more info on the Yamaha as I think it may be very underrated.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.